Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

1 month in

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
DreamchaserRoss

Re: 1 month in

Post by DreamchaserRoss » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:47 pm

Sorry to hear about your problems :(

A conventional auto gearbox will not only use a torque converter, but it also utilizes a lockup clutch which is a friction clutch, like any other that locks in once the turbine has reached the speed of the impeller.

Anyway, yours shouldn't have this as I'm pretty sure the new Z4's have dual clutch transmissions (Mainly why i chose manual)! I can remember my 2012 VW Polo which had a DCT, that gave problems after it was about a year old... After 5 visits to VW, the problem was never solved, hence why my Z4 is a manual.

At least BMW has taken the first step to solving the problem, unlike Volkswagen :thumbsup:

Zeta-Quattro

Post by Zeta-Quattro » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:18 pm

I too picked up my new 18s in November and discovered it has a clunk when getting on the power or off the power at slow speed. The local dealer heard the noise and changed the diff and a drive shaft to no effect, they are trying to tell me now that it is "an operational noise" and they all do it!! BMW customer service are now involved and the car will be back in the garage next week for more checks. I cannot believe BMW would sign off a drive train that made these noise so hopefully they can trace the issue. I wish you good luck with your investigations.

Zeta-Quattro

Post by Zeta-Quattro » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:26 pm

MINES FIXED !!!
after changing a diff and driveshaft as mentioned above they replaced the gearbox output flange which has stopped the clunking noise, which apparently was being transmitted down the prop shaft.
NOW I CAN ENJOY MY Z4
Hope you get sorted soon.

cosmobod

Post by cosmobod » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:41 am

Hi all
area technical manager has now taken it for a spin and basically the message is they all do the sir.
So can anyone help, does anyone have a 4 pot auto that they wouldn't mind meeting up with me in at some point and compairing because I don't believe they all do that for a second. I'm located in north essex and would be very grateful. Or if they do I can buy ear plugs.
I will however mention your gearbox output shaft to the muppets and see what they say, glad your ones fixed.

TimboV

Post by TimboV » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:56 am

Well that's just rubbish. Sorry, I'm too far away to be any help.
Could you get a test drive of another at a different dealer?

cosmobod

Post by cosmobod » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:03 pm

Good idea sounds like a plan