Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

After Market Warranties - Beware

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Japseroony

After Market Warranties - Beware

Post by Japseroony » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi Folks

I purchased my Z4, a 61 plate sDrive 2.3i with 6192 miles on the clock from a retailer in Cardiff who sold me an RAC Platinum Warranty at a cost of £197.00 for 6 months cover. The car has now covered just under 8500 miles.

The first issue was water ingress into the rear lights and although there was an RAC warranty the warranty would not cover water ingress so the BMW dealer asked BMW for some good will (at least that's what they told me) which was granted and I paid £160 for the labour and BMW paid for the lights.

Just last week there was a major failure with all sorts of lights on the dash and warnings on the Sat Nav display so I again took the car the the dealers who after an initial diagnostic check said there was a sensor problem then to find out the DSC unit has failed and I am now facing a £2,700 bill so I asked about good will to be told if there is an after market warranty BMW will not offer any kind of good will at all.

I have taken this to the CEO of BMW who asked a senior member of the customer services team to have a look and this is their response and I quote

"Dear Russell
This is to confirm our telephone conversation this afternoon.
As you vehicle is covered by an RAC warranty, BMW will not be in a position to offer any goodwill on the repair that is necessary.
I believe the third party retailer you purchased the car from, should have provided you with a warranty for at least three months, therefore I can only advise you to contact your contractual partner to discuss the repairs that are necessary.
I have also advised you that Cooper Sunderland incorrectly offered you goodwill on the rear lights, on behalf of BMW, and that this cost will now be met by the BMW Centre.
I know this isn’t the response you would have wished for and I am sorry to disappoint you.
Kind regards
Myra"

My warning to others is to be very careful if you have an after market warranty and are having problems when you think BMW should offer some good will :thumbsdown:
UNDERSTEER is when you hit the fence with the front of the car,
OVERSTEER is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car,
HORSEPOWER is how fast you hit the fence,
TORQUE is how far you take the fence with you.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Re: After Market Warranties - Beware

Post by mmm-five » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:35 pm

Sorry, I don't understand why you're complaining about BMW not paying for your repair when you have a warranty specifically for this sort of thing?

Has your 6 month warranty expired, or have you not asked RAC to cover the warranty claim?

Surely you should have bought a BMW Insured warranty if you wanted it to be covered by BMW dealers?

I didn't have any problem with my almost £20k of warranty claims on my BMW Insured warranty.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

DNK

Post by DNK » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:51 pm

So what year is this?
Don
Charleston, SC
A handfull of Hondas
And couple or TRs
And now, 28I

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Swiftly » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:55 pm

DNK wrote:So what year is this?
He has said its a 61 plate
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

DNK

Post by DNK » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:57 pm

I'm in the US...that means nothing to us
Don
Charleston, SC
A handfull of Hondas
And couple or TRs
And now, 28I

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:58 pm

as above... Are you for real complaining that you took out a warranty not with Bmw & then complain they won't honour a warranty from a third party? Or am I missing something very obvious?
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

A320_phill

Post by A320_phill » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:01 pm

DNK wrote:So what year is this?
Its 2011

DNK

Post by DNK » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:06 pm

Thanks
Don
Charleston, SC
A handfull of Hondas
And couple or TRs
And now, 28I

alane29

Post by alane29 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:18 pm

Sorry ,but I agree with others I don't see how you expect BMW to assist you when you have a RAC warranty .

Have you not claimed on the RAC warranty ??
2007 E86 M Coupe
2005 E85 2.5SE

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:07 pm

Sorry for your troubles

3rd party warranties that come with cars aren't worth the paper they are written on most times.

The one that came with my car covered me to a maximum claim limit of £2k. That's why I bought a BMW insured warranty straight away.

I've also been hit with the refusal of goodwill in the past because I had a warranty. (That wouldn't cover the repair anyway). :headbang:

If I was you I'd be going back to the garage you bought it from to see if they will contribute. Don't fancy your chances though.

Good luck.

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:11 pm

Also, companies like ecutesting can probably repair your unit for far less than the dealers are quoting.

http://www.ecutesting.com/bmw_abs_pump_ ... _ate_.html

John002

Post by John002 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:59 pm

DPG wrote:Also, companies like ecutesting can probably repair your unit for far less than the dealers are quoting.

This.

Welcome to the Zed 4.

I'd factor this in now for all owners, its gonna happen at some point. :thumbsdown:
3.0si Sapphire Black Coupe

Paulwirral

Post by Paulwirral » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:38 pm

DPG wrote:Also, companies like ecutesting can probably repair your unit for far less than the dealers are quoting.

I used them on an audi s4 abs unit a few years ago , very quick turn around and unbelievably cheap compared to main dealer replacement part , definitely recommend them . :thumbsup:

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:45 pm

Reading the other post this week it would seem that OPs issue is that his RAC warranty only covers to £1000 BUT BMW could not diagnose the issue that he had so he had to pay for a couple hours of diagnostics. They changed a part at a cost of £700 iirc and then said oh no we need this part which didn't work and then said we need you to pay £198 for 2 hours labour and then they STILL had to get someone from BMW UK to try and find the issue.

I suppose what it is highlighting is that it's not always a great choice to go for an 'after market' warranty and when BMW can't find the fault they start changing things and you could end up out of pocket.

To be fair if it was me I'd be contacting kg warranty company to advise them of the incompetence of the dealer involved because they're had 4 hours diagnostics, which we all know is only as good as far they are looking and changed 2 parts which haven't sorted the issue.

You expect if you take your car to the dealership to be sorted, they sort it........not ask a 5 year old what part do you think we should change now!
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

GJC72

Post by GJC72 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:47 pm

Probably in the region of £250 to repair which will come with a lifetime warranty. Factor in labour at a good Indy to remove and refit unit so would expect around £400 all in. BMW quoted £2k to replace the unit on my 2007 E85 when it failed earlier this year.
Replacement: 2018 M240i Auto Convertible with plenty of options

Previous
2013 E89 Valencia Orange 20i sDrive Auto
2007 E85 Monaco Blue 3.0si
2003 E85 Sterling Grey 2.5i