Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Aux Input Working?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
hotlips69

Aux Input Working?

Post by hotlips69 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:18 am

I've just noticed there is an AUX input socket in the centre console box (in between the seats) but I'm not sure if by default I can plug in my mobile (from it's headphones socket) to stream music from it direct to the existing car speakers?
New Shape 2009 White Z4 3.0i sdrive...plus I've added a 3.0i on the rear for added showoff-ability!

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Aux Input Working?

Post by Maniac » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:33 am

Yes just use a 3.5mm jack lead between them. If you also have USB then you can additionally control the phone from the car.

hotlips69

Post by hotlips69 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:53 pm

There is just the round AUX connector, no sign of anything USB.

Is it a standard mini-jack that I can simply use at both ends to connect my mobile headphones socket to this AUX connector on the car?

Do I need to do anything else on the head unit or whatever?
Is this standard or something that a previous owner of my car may have added on?
Is there any other way to prove that this AUX connector actually works in case of need?
New Shape 2009 White Z4 3.0i sdrive...plus I've added a 3.0i on the rear for added showoff-ability!

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Why wouldnt it work? You can get a cheapo lead on ebay for a quid if you want to test it before buying a decent lead, you shouldnt need anything else to make it work
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

rossonr

Post by rossonr » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:35 pm

The mode button on the radio should switch between radio, CD, aux once you have plugged it in push play on your phone and push mode til aux comes up
Z4 3.0i black sapphire. Manual 6 speed. Cruise control. red Oregon leather. Dan's RAM air-scoop.Aux in. brembo discs and pads. 19" m345 replica alloys

hotlips69

Post by hotlips69 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:11 pm

I've now tried simply connecting my phone to this AUX-In connector with two different mini-jack to mini-jack cables.
The phone recognised that the "headphones" are plugged in, but nothing is heard on the car speakers whatsoever when I start Spotify for example.

I've changed the option to AUX on my head unit.

The only thing I can think of that may be causing a problem is that I'm not using the stock stereo, but an aftermarket Pioneer one that was professionally fitted and works fine with all the steering wheel buttons etc..

rossonr

Post by rossonr » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:44 pm

You will probably have to have the radio out and check its actually plugged into the radio loom. Do you have a multistack CD player in the car behind the seat in centre console. Is the CD stack working. I think on some models the aux plugs into the multi CD port and the cd stack has to be unplugged So that may be the problem
Z4 3.0i black sapphire. Manual 6 speed. Cruise control. red Oregon leather. Dan's RAM air-scoop.Aux in. brembo discs and pads. 19" m345 replica alloys