Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Outdoor Winter Storage

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
DeenLoon

Outdoor Winter Storage

Post by DeenLoon » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:38 pm

I'm just about to give the love of my life her final detailing before putting her under a Stormforce cover for the winter.

Never having stored a car for an extended period outdoors, I could use some advice from you knowledgeable forum members.

So far, apart from the cover, I've got my fuel stabiliser ready and chocks for the wheels. What I need now is a suitable battery maintainer and any other tips as necessary.

Can any of you guys & gals recommend a quality maintainer? Anything else I should be checking or taking care of?

Thanks in advance,
Angus :thumbsup:
Last edited by DeenLoon on Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E89 35is. Valencia Orange with Black Roof. Pure Traction Interior. 326's Gloss Black & Callipers Valencia Orange by BMW. Smarttop. Stubby. 3D Design Carbon Fiber Boot Spoiler, Autocarbon.de Front Lip Spoiler & Rear Diffuser. Quad Exhaust.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Outdoor Winter Storage

Post by firebobby » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:59 pm

Hi, I a use Ctek charger and find it does a great job, they also do conditioners. I use a Stormforce cover all the time and find it keeps my car clean and dry, I plan to use my car in the winter on fine days, not sure about leaving it untouched for months on end though. Why don't you try and use it when you have nice dry days (I know you live in Aberdeen) as it will keep everything good.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

DeenLoon

Post by DeenLoon » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:21 pm

firebobby wrote:Hi, I a use Ctek charger and find it does a great job, they also do conditioners. I use a Stormforce cover all the time and find it keeps my car clean and dry, I plan to use my car in the winter on fine days, not sure about leaving it untouched for months on end though. Why don't you try and use it when you have nice dry days (I know you live in Aberdeen) as it will keep everything good.
Cheers for the input, mate. Aye, we don't get many spells of fine, dry weather round these parts.... even in the summer months! If the tabloids are to be believed, this winter is due to be a stinker. But they say that every year so who knows. Ideally, I'd follow your advice and take her out for a blast now and then weather permitting, but my job means I'm often away for over a month at a time and whereas, with my last Z, the missus would run it while I was away, I'm determined to keep the mileage down on this one so want to have the option of long term non-running..... plus, I'm not convinced the wife would be up to handling 340ps on frosty mornings! :evil:
E89 35is. Valencia Orange with Black Roof. Pure Traction Interior. 326's Gloss Black & Callipers Valencia Orange by BMW. Smarttop. Stubby. 3D Design Carbon Fiber Boot Spoiler, Autocarbon.de Front Lip Spoiler & Rear Diffuser. Quad Exhaust.

HillWalker

Post by HillWalker » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:57 am

Is there no where in the local area that you could rent a garage or some under cover storage ? perhaps try an add in the local press. Just put my pride and joy away for the winter, all I do is give the battery about a 6hr charge once a month with an ordinary charger and its fine come spring.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:39 pm

Mines all parked up, detailed, covered, been that way for over a month. Started it up the other day to a nasty turbo howl before presumably all the oil that had dripped into the sump got around and it settled down.

That confirmed that I need to use it more!

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:01 pm

I have just organised winter storage in a barn for mine. £10 per week

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:03 pm

Taz wrote:I have just organised winter storage in a barn for mine. £10 per week

Mice and Rats :poke:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:39 pm

firebobby wrote:
Taz wrote:I have just organised winter storage in a barn for mine. £10 per week

Mice and Rats :poke:
It's got a solid concrete floor and there's no food or anything so I don't think there will be that problem. But who knows

DeenLoon

Post by DeenLoon » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:57 pm

HillWalker wrote:Is there no where in the local area that you could rent a garage or some under cover storage ? perhaps try an add in the local press. Just put my pride and joy away for the winter, all I do is give the battery about a 6hr charge once a month with an ordinary charger and its fine come spring.
Nice suggestion. I do live out in the sticks so I'll ask around some of the farmers. :thumbsup: