Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Heater turns in automatically

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Tony897

Heater turns in automatically

Post by Tony897 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:30 am

Hi all,

For some reason every time I start my car the car heater automatically turns on. How can I stop this from happening?

Cheers

Tony

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Heater turns in automatically

Post by john-e89 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:51 am

Mine does as well Tony, annoying is'nt it. I had a look in the manual just the other day and I can't find how to stop it, you may be able to re-set it using the I-drive if you have it, I don't know without looking, I'm going to have a look this weekend. Failing that Maniac or Angie, amongst others, on here know a great deal about the E89 so maybe they might point us in the right direction if they log on. In the meantime if either of us figures it out please post it up as it needs sorting. Cheers for now.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Tony897

Post by Tony897 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:07 pm

Cheers John will let you know if I find out

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:50 pm

Can I ask, so you switch it off and then do you switch it on further into the journey and then back off before you turn the ignition off? Just they key is programmable and remembers the last settings used. And auto aircon is mentioned as one of these remembered functions.

However there is a setting in the iDrive which allows the key to remember the last settings used and restore these the next time the car is used but that might just be the seat.

Also each key has its own settings. Just in case you and someone else use the car and have different keys.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:05 pm

Hope Tony does'nt mind me butting in but yes I do exactly as you say in your opening sentence Angie, so any idea how to clear the key settings.? And thanks for posting btw.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:14 pm

john-e89 wrote:Hope Tony does'nt mind me butting in but yes I do exactly as you say in your opening sentence Angie, so any idea how to clear the key settings.? And thanks for posting btw.
I have a horrible feeling it's a diagnostics reset/change needed.

Unsure if the OBD II readers would work when the key is placed into the dash. Or even if removing the battery, letting the key sit for 5/10 mins and then replacing the battery would reset any memory.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:25 pm

I'll ring the stealers and see if they will reset as a goodwill gesture, which they should do as to my mind it's a factory fault, you should switch the heater on as your choice, not the car deciding so to speak.

Cheers Angie, it's appreciated.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:35 pm

I might have missed the point here but ....... if the climate control temp is set, then the system would start to attempt to modify the cabin temp ....?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:41 pm

ronk wrote:I might have missed the point here but ....... if the climate control temp is set, then the system would start to attempt to modify the cabin temp ....?
Not wishing to be rude but yes you have tbh Ronk, the problem we have is the heater fan starts as soon as you start the car, the climate switch has no bearing on it. Hope you're doing well btw and recovery is on target. :thumbsup:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:45 pm

ronk wrote:I might have missed the point here but ....... if the climate control temp is set, then the system would start to attempt to modify the cabin temp ....?
That's correct but it's more the fact that people want to get into their car, start it up and then put the aircon on or leave it off. It's a bit annoying when you start the car with the roof off and it switches on.

For me I like to also decide when I want the aircon on. If I'm not going far, just for a spin to keep the car moving and ticking over I don't want that on. I like to hear the car

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:19 am

I must say I have never noticed this as every car I have ever had I always leave the blowers on at the minimum to bring fresh air in and help keep the windscreen clearer for longer.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:31 am

john-e89 wrote:
Not wishing to be rude but yes you have tbh Ronk, the problem we have is the heater fan starts as soon as you start the car, the climate switch has no bearing on it. Hope you're doing well btw and recovery is on target. :thumbsup:
Not rude whatsoever!
I thought I had missed something that's all. Thinking back mine does this as well but it's never bothered me ! I only use one key, the 'spare' is always in the safe so if it does store last settings they are mine anyway.

The recovery is coming along nicely thank you - I drove for the first time today and no sign of the A/F even after subjecting it to the previous triggers - still optimistic.
Any post op pain/ discomfort has gone now apart from the odd twinge!
I have to wait another 11 weeks before the meds are changed.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Tony897

Post by Tony897 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:54 am

Thanks all was getting worried that their was a fault with the car!

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:05 am

ronk wrote:
john-e89 wrote:
Not rude whatsoever!
I thought I had missed something that's all. Thinking back mine does this as well but it's never bothered me ! I only use one key, the 'spare' is always in the safe so if it does store last settings they are mine anyway.

The recovery is coming along nicely thank you - I drove for the first time today and no sign of the A/F even after subjecting it to the previous triggers - still optimistic.
Any post op pain/ discomfort has gone now apart from the odd twinge!
I have to wait another 11 weeks before the meds are changed.
Ronk , you really should use the spare key as well as it gets charged while its in the dock in the car.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:32 am

Nictrix wrote: Ronk , you really should use the spare key as well as it gets charged while its in the dock in the car.
I can't remember if Ron has comfort access or not. If he does then no point in using the spare as comfort access keys don't have rechargeable batteries.

On my E88 I didn't have comfort access and after 5 years I didn't have an issue with the battery on the spare was used possibly twice.......but I did on the one I used all the time and needed to replace the battery due to it reaching the end of its lifespan and it wouldn't keep a charge.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring