Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacing air filters

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
imported

Replacing air filters

Post by imported » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:40 am

Every few trips my e89 (31k mileage now) gives this mouldy rotten smell that comes through the air vents. Sometimes its when fresh air comes in and sometimes when in recirc. I've tried spraying anti-bac aerosols (several cans & brands) through the fresh air intake under the windscreen and replaced the cabin air filter under the passenger footwell but the odour still occasionally reappears, albeit less often.

Is there another filter that I should replace and does the e89 have more than 1 air filter (I know that some other BMWs have 1 for fresh air and 1 for recirculation)? Also is there a more direct vent that I could spray anti-bac?

Also I thought it could be the fuel as I started using tescos about 5 months ago and that when the problem started but I've been back on Shell vpower for 1-2 months and the problem is still there.

Thanks for any help guys!

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Replacing air filters

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:50 am

It will be mould growing on the internal condenser..

There are many antibacterial sprays you can get.. We use the Wurth one, has a long flexible nozzle so you can get into a vent and spray into the problem areas..

All cars with AC are the same I'm afraid..

Switching off the AC 5 mins before journey end will help with moisture levels

imported

Post by imported » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:32 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote:We use the Wurth one, has a long flexible nozzle so you can get into a vent and spray into the problem areas..
Do you how I would access the evaporator to shove the hose?

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:14 pm

Like i say,get into a vent....

Never tried on E89....Sorry...

imported

Post by imported » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:03 pm

Problem solved. I changed to BP ultimate fuel and after 2.5 fill ups there is no more smell. I guess I got what I deserved for going to Tesco.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:01 pm

imported wrote:Problem solved. I changed to BP ultimate fuel and after 2.5 fill ups there is no more smell. I guess I got what I deserved for going to Tesco.
Hard to see how that made the difference. The fuel won't effect the smell from the vents and Considering BP Ultimate is 97 Ron and tesco's super is 99.7 Ron not sure what difference again this makes. Apart from less 'fuel efficiency' and the less ethanol that the turbo engines seem to like more so I've heard.

If you weren't using tesco's super and just their bog standard petrol then this is also 97 Ron but as stated the fuel will not be effecting the smell from the vents. Placebo effect?
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

AlfaScozzesi

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:11 pm

Didn't know that Tescos super had such a high Ron!

Where I stay I have BP Ultimate or Morrisons so BP it is.

What's the concensus on the Tescos fuel. Does it have the engine cleaners that the BP, Shell has?

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:34 pm

AlfaScozzesi wrote:Didn't know that Tescos super had such a high Ron!

Where I stay I have BP Ultimate or Morrisons so BP it is.

What's the concensus on the Tescos fuel. Does it have the engine cleaners that the BP, Shell has?
Yes and if you live in Scotland it all comes from the same place, it's just the additives which are the difference between brands. Shell and Tesco are almost the same on Ron but Tesco has more Ethanol added which for bigger engines is not a bad thing. She'll has a slightly different mix of additives and less ethanol. If you've got a small engine then more than 5% ethanol can have a detrimental effect on MPG figures.

For me it's always Shell V Power or Tesco and then Sainburys which is also 99 Ron premium and 97 Ron standard. Unless I'm struggling to find them then it would be BP Ultimate. My nearest station is only about 300 yards away and a BP but my nearest Shell is about a mile away the wrong way from my usual travel direction but I make the trip anyway because it's my preference.

Pleanty guys on here who use Shell or Tesco. I'm sure R.E92 is a Tesco user.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

AlfaScozzesi

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks Angie. Always shyed away from supermarket fuel when possible (not an unbroken rule). Do you believe all Scottish fuel comes from Grangemouth or do you think supermarkets do bigger deals than this?

Nearest Tesco is 60 miles but next time in Inverness maybe I can have a cheaper fill. At least try it and I have a nice drive home to confuse myself with!

Next point is how much do people think the car gets used to the same fuel? How clever are our cars?

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:44 pm

Yes all fuel in Scotland is from Grangemouth. It's not cost effective to transport it from down South. Even Northern England i.e. Just over the border also get their fuel from Grangemouth hence why when there have been strikes at Grangemouth Scotland and Northern England are effected. The amount of fuel purchased by supermarkets gives them an opportunity to negotiate better deals no matter what refinery they are using.

Keep in mind that 'premium' fuels can deteriorate quicker than standard fuel so if your not doing many miles, don't fill the tank up and buy from a garage with a decent turn over as if it's not a busy garage the fuel you are purchasing might already have deteriorated.

The cars, well ECU get used to the fuel, oil and your driving style. The additives in the 'premium' fuels help to clean the engine and remove any carbon build ups this in turn can also help the car run more efficiently. I only run V Power in all my cars and when I switched from standard to premium in previous cars there was a marked improvement in the mpg and throttle response.

For the Z4M it is fitted with a 'knock sensor' so using either fuel shouldn't impact the running of the car but premium minimum 97 Ron is recommended.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:53 pm

Angie you mentioned about smaller engines and more ethanol can have a detrimental effect on MPG.
I pretty much use Shell in the Mini as the fuel station is right beside where I work but it was closed for a few weeks and I used BP and could have sworn that I got better MPG.
What you said about the ethanol is this for all fuels from Shell or just the Vpower?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:05 pm

Nictrix wrote:Angie you mentioned about smaller engines and more ethanol can have a detrimental effect on MPG.
I pretty much use Shell in the Mini as the fuel station is right beside where I work but it was closed for a few weeks and I used BP and could have sworn that I got better MPG.
What you said about the ethanol is this for all fuels from Shell or just the Vpower?
Ethanol is now in all Petrol most is 5% but changes to the rules mean you can now have up to 10% ethanol. I believe there is more ethanol in the Tesco premium vs Shell V Power. Not sure about the percentage in BP.

A test carried out by I think whatcar found that when using 10% ethanol fuel in 'super minis' they actually did less MPG than if they used standard current market fuel. 10% has been allowed based on results from the US but it's believed their tests were carried out in V6 and V8 engined cars hence why the negative effect of 10% ethanol was not reported before it was given the thumbs up here.

http://m.whatcar.com/car-news/car-e10-f ... ts/1229024

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:11 pm

I remember reading that the higher ethanol had adverse effects on the internals of carbs and could deteriorate rubber o-rings inside them.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:28 pm

Nictrix wrote:I remember reading that the higher ethanol had adverse effects on the internals of carbs and could deteriorate rubber o-rings inside them.
I believe that for o-rings they are designed to be used with bioethanol so that they are not effected. The design process these days will ensure engines are compatible with bioethanol fuels although they may not be testing using 10% or more.

I know that biodiesel is playing havoc with Kia Fuel Filters and instead of addressing the issue, Kia are blaming the fuel companies whilst customers have to keep shelling out for replacement fuel filters several times during their ownership.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

imported

Post by imported » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:31 pm

The odour was more of a sulphur smell and would only happen when the engine fully warmed up for a while (i.e. never at the start). I've been driving for 400miles+ with BP ultimate and the smell hasn't occurred once.

Also my last car was an e60 and I remember the same smell occurring towards the end of use and that was the time I filled up with Asda and Tesco fuel (the cheap stuff not momentum).

But then again it might have also been because of the cold weather ;/