Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DIY oil change-my job failed.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Re: DIY oil change-my job failed.

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:42 pm

ronk wrote:
4zwmb wrote:..., Don t ask how because I used the same tools on the third day and suddenly it just came out in minutes.....
Did you have an extra weetabix ? :rofl:
:lol:

Well done for not giving up!
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:49 pm

4zwmb wrote:Hi all, I would like to let you know that finally I managed to get the sump plug out! Don t ask how because I used the same tools on the third day and suddenly it just came out in minutes. I would like to thank all of you for the advises and help, thanks so much for everything. Changed the oil and oil filter, checked the engine oil level and everything seems good so far. Big thanks again for your support!!!
Well done. :thumbsup: Did you turn it the right way this time :poke:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

4zwmb

Post by 4zwmb » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote:
ronk wrote:
4zwmb wrote:..., Don t ask how because I used the same tools on the third day and suddenly it just came out in minutes.....
Did you have an extra weetabix ? :rofl:
:lol:

Well done for not giving up!
Actually a whole packet! :)

4zwmb

Post by 4zwmb » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Nictrix wrote:
4zwmb wrote:Hi all, I would like to let you know that finally I managed to get the sump plug out! Don t ask how because I used the same tools on the third day and suddenly it just came out in minutes. I would like to thank all of you for the advises and help, thanks so much for everything. Changed the oil and oil filter, checked the engine oil level and everything seems good so far. Big thanks again for your support!!!
Well done. :thumbsup: Did you turn it the right way this time :poke:
I was always turning it the right way from the beginning! Strange!

4zwmb

Post by 4zwmb » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:53 pm

pvr wrote:Great news, and no damage to the sump? I trust you changed the plug though.
Yes I did change the plug although I also tried the old plug and since it was only the head that got damaged, it worked fine too, I mean no oil leakages from the sump.

4zwmb

Post by 4zwmb » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:01 pm

I got another hopefully minor problem now. So after I succeeded to get the job done, I started the engine and left it idle for 10 minutes to check for any leakages from the sump/plug and from the oil filter housing/oil filter cap. Everything looked fine, no oil leakages. To be hundred percent sure, I then went for an 8 mile drive and once back home, I again checked for leakages, negative. Again no leakages. However today I went out with the z4 and did about 15 miles and when I got back home I found very little leakage coming out exactly below the filter cap, where it meets the oil filter housing. I have torqued the oil filter cap to 25Nm using a torque wrench. I cant understand why this has happened. Could it be that after 15 miles the oil what thinner than after the 8 mile drive and so it was somehow easier for it to sip through and leak? Could it be that I should torque the cap filter using 5Nm more since on the cap there is engraved 25 + 5Nm? What do you guys think please? Thanks. Forgot to mention the obvious, that I did change the oil plug, the two seals of the filter cap in their correct positions (I am sure of this) and put 6.5litres of new oil which after driving the miles (both 8 and 15 miles) the oil level check was ok. Any suggestions as to why this has happened today?

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:19 pm

I would say it's residual oil that has come out due to the temperature , if it was a real leak it there would be more oil, clean it with some brake cleaner or similar and check it again after your next outing I'm sure it is OK.

The only thing from my experience that causes an oil leak from a filter housing is if the o ring wasn't lubed before hand and the o ring bunches up, more torque is not necessary !

4zwmb

Post by 4zwmb » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:21 pm

I think you are right but if it was residual oil it would have came out when I drove it for 8 miles no?

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:21 pm

Did you smear oil on the rubber ring before tightening it? Re torque it again in case it got a bit loose
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

4zwmb

Post by 4zwmb » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:24 pm

Yes I smeared a bit of oil on the rubber ring before tightening, I will re torque it again and see what happens. The oil leakge is really of a small amount but its still a leak after all.

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:27 pm

4zwmb wrote:I think you are right but if it was residual oil it would have came out when I drove it for 8 miles no?
Good point ...don't know why, but also if it was a leak it should have come out during that drive also ?

4zwmb

Post by 4zwmb » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:36 pm

fixit man wrote:
4zwmb wrote:I think you are right but if it was residual oil it would have came out when I drove it for 8 miles no?
Good point ...don't know why, but also if it was a leak it should have come out during that drive also ?
Well now you have got me thinking, you are right about that too. :tumbleweed:

maxman

Post by maxman » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:08 pm

If the leak persists,it's probably the gasket on the oil filter housing which was disturbed when you changed the filter

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:29 pm

I am not aware of any gasket there though? The ring of the filter is the one that makes the seal against the metal - what gasket are you referring to?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

4zwmb

Post by 4zwmb » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:12 pm

Exactly, there are no gaskets between filter cap and filter housing. Like pvr said, seal or ring of the filter is the object that is supposed to seal the oil from coming out. I used a bosch filter, something I forgot to tell you. Its hard to believe that bosch made a defective oil seal, no?