Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DIY oil change-my job failed.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
4zwmb

Re: DIY oil change-my job failed.

Post by 4zwmb » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:20 pm

firebobby wrote:
4zwmb wrote:Update:

And two, if no leaks will happen, how could a seal from comline do the job and a bosch seal fail like this?
Bosch are like all other manufactures and can make or buy in dodgy components, at least you have sorted it now :thumbsup:
Well I can t really be hundred percent sure I have sorted it out now because the first time I put on the bosch seal I drove for 15 miles with no problems at all and then two days later I was driving it again, this time for more miles and ooops, leakage again. Lets just hope history won t repeat itself when I test drive it again in the coming days.

I agree with you that bosch can make dodgy components but I looked in detail at the seal when I was going to replace it with the seal from comline and to me it had no flaws at all.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:03 pm

Would be surprised if any well known brand actually make filters.
When you see the cross references on some sites there can be like 30 brands.
Doubt if there's thirty factories in the World that make filters.

Well here's ten, I suppose the World is a big place;
http://top10bestbrands.com/top-best-oil-filter-brands/

4zwmb

Post by 4zwmb » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:58 am

Thanks for the info and for the link flybobbie. This weekend is going to be sunny so I am waiting to give my z4 another good test to ensure the leakage problem has been eliminated. I will update you guys later on.

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:53 pm

Could someone have overtightened the filter cover and put a hairline crack in it?