Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 was hit whilst parked - luckily got a dash cam - but numberplate is not legible - *UPDATE found the car that hit me!!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
nb67

Re: Z4 was hit whilst parked - luckily got a dash cam - but numberplate is not legible - *UPDATE found the car that hit

Post by nb67 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:32 pm

Acid_Monkey wrote:Thing is his insurers have the video evidence and photos to prove his guilt.

Surely the third parties insurers should be able to decide liability without actually speaking to the driver / their client?
That's the sticky point is it not?

It's the driver/named drivers that are insured and not the vehicle so unless they (the ins comp) can prove who was driving at the time, they'll not be too eager to pay out/accept responsibility.
GONE - 3.0i SE. Sterling Grey. 2005.
Gaptech RCH+, ZHP, Stubby. CDV Delete.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Re: Z4 was hit whilst parked - luckily got a dash cam - but numberplate is not legible - *UPDATE found the car that hit

Post by pvr » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:33 pm

Guilt does not matter, In my Mother in Laws case, it was clear cut as well with witnesses etc (car drove in her parked car whilst parking in front of witnesses).

The police is not interested as it is in the hands of the insurance companies, and they can sit on it forever with no means of speeding them up.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

John002

Post by John002 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:53 pm

Going through a similar thing. There seems to be a four month period before insurers can close the claim. Until then my insurance has doubled and my 14 years NCD mean squat diddly.

Good luck with it, try and be patient. :cry:
3.0si Sapphire Black Coupe

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:55 pm

What happened to not reporting an accident?
I thought it had to be either A. reported or B. names an addresses etc exchanged?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:18 pm

ronk wrote:What happened to not reporting an accident?
I thought it had to be either A. reported or B. names an addresses etc exchanged?
Police is not interested, I reported it as well. Once the number plate is known and the insurance company can deal with it, it is finished as far as they are concerned.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

slick

Post by slick » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:58 pm

Get a "Pro forma invoice for the repair and take out a county court summons against the registered keeper of the CRV, then after you win , put it in the hands of a High court sheriff, ..........sit back and watch how quickly he involves his insurance company then
E85 2.5 sterling grey
E89 3.0 se
Porsche 987 Boxster 3.4S
E89 3.5i
TVR Chimerea 4 litres of rolling thunder
Corvette C6 a moment of insanity
E89 3.0i

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:05 pm

slick wrote:Get a "Pro forma invoice for the repair and take out a county court summons against the registered keeper of the CRV, then after you win , put it in the hands of a High court sheriff, ..........sit back and watch how quickly he involves his insurance company then
Sounds like a plan !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Hugman

Post by Hugman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:25 pm

I'm getting wound up just reading about it,god knows how you feel
Hope it all gets sorted

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:27 pm

So glad the OP found this ****.
The police *should* take interest as it's a pretty serious offence, 5-10 penalty points and a maximum penalty of 6 months’ imprisonment / Unlimited fine / Discretionary disqualification.
That doesn't meant they will due to the effort involved but it's certainly worth chasing them with the evidence you have.

It is a very good course to go down the court route against the registered keeper, assuming they live at the address it was parked at to recover your expenses.
High court bailiffs are very effective and worth paying the extra to go down that route.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:26 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote:

High court bailiffs are very effective and worth paying the extra to go down that route.
And we may see it on TV :)

OP, sorry to hear about this, you must be gutted mate. Surely your insurance should pay for your repairs and then chase his insurance ??
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Keyper

Post by Keyper » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:02 pm

I'd knock on the guys door, tbh I'm unsure I'd be able to hold my temper back with a situation like that, all I can say is well done on having a cam in the car

Btw is the dash cam activated by sound etc? Fancy one myself now
2004 E85 2.5i Sterling Grey - Now Gone
2010 E89 35i Titanium Silver

Acid_Monkey

Post by Acid_Monkey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:01 pm

ronk wrote:What happened to not reporting an accident?
I reported it to the police - **** just drove off!

Acid_Monkey

Post by Acid_Monkey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:02 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote:So glad the OP found this ****.
The police *should* take interest as it's a pretty serious offence, 5-10 penalty points and a maximum penalty of 6 months’ imprisonment / Unlimited fine / Discretionary disqualification.
That doesn't meant they will due to the effort involved but it's certainly worth chasing them with the evidence you have.

It is a very good course to go down the court route against the registered keeper, assuming they live at the address it was parked at to recover your expenses.
Interesting route - however not sure the evidence would hold up in court as the number plate is not easily visible in the video - he could turn around a day the damage is circumstantial ie. From another white vehicle of the same height...

Acid_Monkey

Post by Acid_Monkey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:05 pm

firebobby wrote:
Scooba_Steve wrote:

And we may see it on TV :)

OP, sorry to hear about this, you must be gutted mate. Surely your insurance should pay for your repairs and then chase his insurance ??
I'm sure eventually they will - but I had my last car written off in a very nasty accident with an uninsured drink driver in a stolen car on the wrong side of the road... this was 18 months ago and it's only just finished. I think my insurers have claimed back from the MIB - but it's a big fat risk mark against my name in terms of insurance risk....

Acid_Monkey

Post by Acid_Monkey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:07 pm

Keyper wrote:I'd knock on the guys door, tbh I'm unsure I'd be able to hold my temper back with a situation like that, all I can say is well done on having a cam in the car

Btw is the dash cam activated by sound etc? Fancy one myself now
Was going to do that at the beginning with some heavies from the local gym - but not sure it's the most sensible thing to do.

Dashcam is always on and wired into the car - sits behind the rear view mirror - with a 64gb card you get around 24 hours worth of footage - it's the Blackvue DR-650 - defo worth it!