Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 was hit whilst parked - luckily got a dash cam - but numberplate is not legible - *UPDATE found the car that hit me!!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Acid_Monkey

Z4 was hit whilst parked - luckily got a dash cam - but numberplate is not legible - *UPDATE found the car that hit me!!

Post by Acid_Monkey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi!

My Z4 was hit, whilst parked in a gnarly area in Edgware, London with damage to drivers side front quarter panel, bumper and alloys. I'm so gutted! :cry:

Luckily I've installed a dashcam, but unfortunately the numberplate of the Honda CRV that hit me was unclear as the sun was out!

What do I do? I've made a report at the local police station, but doubt they'll request the video footage or cctv footage from the nearby bank and shops that would have seen the car enter the street where my car was hit.

I'm not sure I want to tell my insurers as I'll lose my no claims discount...! Wondering if there's anyway I could somehow extract the numberplate from the video...

Anyways heres the video - any advice would be super appreciated! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxctBVxjsZY

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxctBVxjsZY[/youtube]
Last edited by Acid_Monkey on Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

85genius

Re: Z4 was hit whilst parked - luckily got a dash cam - but numberplate is not legible - what do I do?

Post by 85genius » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:21 pm

Sorry but with the reflections I dint think you'll get it from there.

Isn't leaving the scene of an accident a serious offence, I'd bug the police until they get the cctv, or even try contacting the camera owners yourself to get the footage
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

John002

Re: Z4 was hit whilst parked - luckily got a dash cam - but numberplate is not legible - what do I do?

Post by John002 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:41 pm

If you grab a still image one of the photoshop gurus might be able to pull the reg from it.
3.0si Sapphire Black Coupe

Acid_Monkey

Post by Acid_Monkey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:58 pm

John002 wrote:If you grab a still image one of the photoshop gurus might be able to pull the reg from it.
Yeah was thinking the same thing - unfortunately I don't know any gurus - but may try my luck on fiverr.com

Acid_Monkey

Post by Acid_Monkey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:00 pm

85genius wrote:Sorry but with the reflections I dint think you'll get it from there.

Isn't leaving the scene of an accident a serious offence, I'd bug the police until they get the cctv, or even try contacting the camera owners yourself to get the footage
Yup - it is an offence, but I think the Police have better things to do - I was told by the Police when reporting at the station that this kind of thing happens 100's of times a day in London, and that I was better off speaking to my insurers to resolve it...

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:13 pm

My car was parked while hit once, it went to the Magistrates once I told the Met that insurers were dragging their heels. I had a witness though.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:07 pm

You could try and extract something out of some stills, but between the reflection, sun and the smear on the screen it may be very hard..
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

alane29

Post by alane29 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:34 am

lots of people travel the same roads daily, I would be tempted to go back around the same time and wait round ..you never know
2007 E86 M Coupe
2005 E85 2.5SE

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:56 am

I've grabbed what I believe is the most likely frame from the video and processed it but there isn't enough contrast to pull the reg plate - that said, I think that YouTube re-encodes the uploaded video so it's quite possible that detail has been lost, if you can grab a few original full-res frames and make them available I'm happy to have another go
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

HubertK

Post by HubertK » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:51 am

Go to any local shop which you think would have captured the car and ask if you could see the cctv or if someone could go through the times that the accident happened. I would be tempted to offer some cash if it's small independent shop if they don't want to give out the cctv.

Acid_Monkey

Post by Acid_Monkey » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:15 am

alane29 wrote:lots of people travel the same roads daily, I would be tempted to go back around the same time and wait round ..you never know
If else fails - this seems to be the option that makes the most sense - was thinking of staking out the road every Friday from 20 minutes... :evil:

Acid_Monkey

Post by Acid_Monkey » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:16 am

HubertK wrote:Go to any local shop which you think would have captured the car and ask if you could see the cctv or if someone could go through the times that the accident happened. I would be tempted to offer some cash if it's small independent shop if they don't want to give out the cctv.
Unfortunately the only shop with cctv that would have see the car enter from the main road is a bank... and plenty of council cameras, but I've no hope for either...!

Acid_Monkey

Post by Acid_Monkey » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:18 am

PerryGunn wrote:I've grabbed what I believe is the most likely frame from the video and processed it but there isn't enough contrast to pull the reg plate - that said, I think that YouTube re-encodes the uploaded video so it's quite possible that detail has been lost, if you can grab a few original full-res frames and make them available I'm happy to have another go
Thanks for taking the time to do this for me. Really appreciated!

I've pm'd you a link to the dropbox original video file. It starts 1:14 into it.

Thanks again - thats awesome of you!

SO8

Post by SO8 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:42 am

As has been said, the police will not make CCTV enquiries - they simply haven't got the people to do it.

Have a go at grabbing stills and working on them - a part index will allow the police to do certain checks if the part index has enough of the index.
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

Acid_Monkey

Post by Acid_Monkey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:30 am

Update - managed to make out the first half of the numberplate by playing and back and forth a section of the video. Spent around two hours this evening scouring the streets near where the accident happened - guess what? found the car that hit me, with my paint down the side of his car! W@nker! Updated my fail to stop report with the police station with the persons plates and address....

Tempted to leave a note on his windscreen... :fuelfire:

Result!

Thanks everyone for your help/advice - I guess persistence pays off!