Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New LED halo's fitted last night

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
stuartinzg

New LED halo's fitted last night

Post by stuartinzg » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:11 pm

One thing I didn't like on my Z was the old orange bulbs. They just look out of place.

Ordered a nice USA made CREE 80W (each) set from the US. It was delivered in a week or so (stung on the import charges here). Quality is excellent - not the cheapest ($80 + shipping + taxes). I'm also pleased to see the Z has no way for you to plugin the bulb incorrectly (as you could on my E92) for numpties like me who have no idea what they are doing.

Looks a lot bluer in the photo on the right lens - probably the way the camera detects the light, compared to your eyes, the left ring is how it normally is. In the flesh they are great!

You can see how bad the lens is even after 24k miles - I have bought a special meguars lens restoration kit which I will be using this weekend! :thumbsup:

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/p ... storation/
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

imported

Re: New LED halo's fitted last night

Post by imported » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:12 am

stuartinzg wrote:the Z has no way for you to plugin the bulb incorrectly (as you could on my E92) for numpties like me who have no idea what they are doing.
100% true, almost as if BMW expected us to retrofit LED H8 bulbs right? :D

Better to just buy on eBay for approx £50. It's probably be cheaper and gets delivered in 1-3 days.

Theivz

Post by Theivz » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:54 pm

awesome upgrade! :)

agree so easy to change bulbs - even i can do it..

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:39 am

I thought about buyung in Europe but hardly anyone had 80w per side...it was all low powered jobbies.

I have used the cleaning kit, it is a bit aggressive and I will need to polish out more, but better than it was.
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

Z4midable

Post by Z4midable » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Just about to order a set of these, do BMW frown upon them when it comes to Warranty or MOT etc?
ie is it worth switching them back when it goes in the garage?

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:40 pm

Na it's fine. Never had any problems with the E92

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:57 pm

Could you take some photos in daylight?

I had LED units on my E92 and they looked great at night but were pathetic in sunlight.

I currently use whiter halogen bulbs and just up the voltage on them to 13V all the time so they don't dim when the main beams are switched on. They match the colour of the xenon bulbs but still keep a nice soft stock glow. If these LUX units are even brighter in daylight I may be tempted to switch.

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:32 am

Ok ill take some tomorrow