Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

UPDATE: double din possible: Head unit upgrade - 1 DIN + canbus adapter options?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
stuartinzg

UPDATE: double din possible: Head unit upgrade - 1 DIN + canbus adapter options?

Post by stuartinzg » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:03 am

Update: scroll down - double din possible

Another help thread - I've been searching for over a week for some answers, but this car is so rare, there are no instant results on Google to help me start... so it's over to the community to see what can be done.

I have the non-nav model, which is fine by me as I paid less for the car as a result, and I really don't like the older gen i-drives. I prefer to retrofit a system which I have complete control over - wireless, 4G, bluetooth, Android OS, my own choice of Nav system and storage space for songs. This car is incredibly difficult to source good units due to the 1 DIN slot.

I am not even entirely sure what unit my car has, it says BMW Professional, it appears to have at least 7 speakers from what I can see. Is there a sure way of finding out?

My criteria

- High quality Android based 1 DIN flip out screen unit with a decent HD screen which works in sunlight, this means I don't have to have the screen out unless I want to use the nav, which is much less frequently than I use the stereo. Ideally, as boring and black as possible on the front with the least amount of "disco" so when the screen it not out, it looks almost OEM.
- A canbus adapter so that all the steering wheel controls continue to function
- I need the internal bongs to continue too, I saw a few options regarding this, either the adapter plums this into the unit or there is an external speaker a bit like a bios speaker on a motherboard
- A facade which works with the unit so that the dashboard doesn't look rubbish

Potential downsides

- I have researched that BMW can't perform software upgrades on the car without the OEM radio plugged in? :scratchhead:

This seems bonkers but I suspect if their firmware software detects a module missing it probably throws an exception and won't move on... if so this will be a big pain as I don't want the OEM unit plumed into the back as some owners have done

Honestly this seems like a massive headache :headbang: - but I really don't want to put another brodit clip because I want the better sound with potential speaker upgrades in the distant future!

Anyone with any experience please share!

I will continue to research and post any updates as I go here
Last edited by stuartinzg on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Head unit upgrade - 1 DIN + canbus adapter options?

Post by jimbo1958 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:26 am

Be interested to see but can't help but thinking what you install is gonna ruin the looks of the dash.
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

stuartinzg

Re: Head unit upgrade - 1 DIN + canbus adapter options?

Post by stuartinzg » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:45 am

jimbo1958 wrote:Be interested to see but can't help but thinking what you install is gonna ruin the looks of the dash.
It will be something like this, but with a screen for when I need nav - ideally without any glowing lights. I think it can be done!

35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

stuartinzg

Re: Head unit upgrade - 1 DIN + canbus adapter options? UPDATE: Double Din possible

Post by stuartinzg » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:16 am

Trawling a German Z4 website I've finally found what I was originally looking for - even better than my solution!

He has a double din kenwood unit, decent quality, canbus adapter for steering wheel, external "bong" for the warnings, better aerial upgrade! He has done it all. Now to see if he wants to tell me all his secrets.... :poke:

There appears to be some custom fabrication to be done for the facade, which is fine, I can easily get that made up.

Shopping list

- Kenwood DDX7025BT http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/ca ... ew=details (Kenwood runs Android but requires rooting so that custom apps can be installed, Torque, different Nav - prefer my TomTom for Android when travelling around Europe) They are by far the best quality vs. crap Chinese Android generic systems

- Kenwood CANBUS adapter - http://www.acvgmbh.de/flextor/de/Lenkra ... n&_image=0

- Aerial adapter - http://www.acvgmbh.de/flextor/de/Antenn ... btn=suchen

- Bong box - http://www.acvgmbh.de/flextor/de/CAN-BU ... btn=suchen

P.s. I love how the external fishing rod and most of this sound system is shared with Dacia, Renault, Citroen + Fiat :rofl:

Result

- Rear parking camera possible
- Recording from front mounted camera (dashcam) with decent 64+ GB storage in the Nav unit
- Touch screen music and nav
- DAB upgrade
- Bluetooth + wifi for Torque and phone
- Internet access
- Detachable front
- Amplifier and speaker upgrade now much easier

jamesbond

Re: UPDATE: double din possible: Head unit upgrade - 1 DIN + canbus adapter options?

Post by jamesbond » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:53 am

watching with interest .. but I do like the oem look
Born in Yorkshire ended up in Essex .. 35is Mel red now sold
Own 2 big cats (F type & XE S supercharged) looking for a z4 Hobby Car

z4 3.0i 03 - Z4 3.0i 04 - Z4 3.0i 05 - Z4 3.0i 03 - Z3M (s54) 03 Man - Z4M 06 - Z4M 06 - Z4M 07 -
Z4 35is 2014

stuartinzg

Re: UPDATE: double din possible: Head unit upgrade - 1 DIN + canbus adapter options?

Post by stuartinzg » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:42 am

I think with carbon or piano black trim you would barely notice it was there, which was my idea

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:10 am

stuartinzg wrote:I think with carbon or piano black trim you would barely notice it was there, which was my idea
Looking forward to see it completed. :thumbsup:
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:17 pm

jimbo1958 wrote:
stuartinzg wrote:I think with carbon or piano black trim you would barely notice it was there, which was my idea
Looking forward to see it completed. :thumbsup:
Me too although I think this is a much longer term project (6 months+) because first I need to make thr mechanicals as I want them. Lots of research to be completed first. Im also tempted to see if the parts we need can be 3d printed.

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:54 am

Good luck with this Stuart.
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE

Peter A Z4

Post by Peter A Z4 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:19 am

Hello,
I'm new to this forum.
I'm interested to upgrade my business radio to a new system with Bluetooth and DAB. I can not see the pictures of the 2din system installed in the e89.
I also don't have navigation but I have the hifi system with 11 speakers and PDC. My e89 is from 2010.
I think about 2 solutions.
Replace the radio by a professional radio. (according my dealer this is not possible but I'm not leaving out this option without a reasonable explanation)
I don't find documentation about compatibility, connections, ...... who can do the coding, .....
The second option is to replace my head unit by an after market system. There is no much choice for 1 din radios.
I'm interested to see the pictures of the 2 din radio installed in the e89.
Before I decide to replace the radio I want to learn more about all the consequences.
- steering wheel compatibility
- Gongs and PDC. PDC is now in stereo I think. With this gong box I lose this function.
- install DAB antenna. Is there a switch box for antenna diversity and disable roof antenna when riding cabrio. Compatibility with radio? How install DAB antenna?
- sw updates problems

Anyone has more info about these topics?

Thanks

Peter

35i-Nut

Post by 35i-Nut » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:05 pm

Just to throw something into the mix

I dont have I drive so have replaced the top glove box with the BMW sat nav trim / mount , I have a £49 7" Lenovo tablet with no branding on the front screen or buttons sat in the BMW mount which sits well in position

I'm using tasker app to turn the tablet on and off etc when I get in and out and got a battery Bluetooth switch just below the BMW steering controls which is not mucher bigger than a 50p piece

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JACKSHIBO-Wire ... ck+charger

From the tablet I can use Google maps etc , amazon , spotify etc

I did look at aftermarket but as Stuart is finding solutions are scarce !

Watching the thread with interest

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:38 pm

There's a full thread on retrofitting a tablet instead of idrive... looks very impressive... :D

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1058216
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.