Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Interior 5D4D carbon wrap

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
stuartinzg

Interior 5D4D carbon wrap

Post by stuartinzg » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:49 am

I have some problems with the interior which BMW won't fix under warranty, apparently it's only covered for up to 2 years...

The issue is on the trim surrounding the shifter, on the edges by the leather the lacquer appears to have cracked and I have a few ugly crack lines appearing. This must be due to the sun temperature but it was there when I bought the car.

It appears that replacing the part will only result in the same thing occurring again, so I was researching some alternatives, one of which is to use either 3M carbon or 5D4D (glossy carbon weave) to wrap the silver parts of the interior.

The 5D4D is a new product which appears almost exactly as real carbon, without spending £2k which I would much rather put toward a Quaife and H&R springs!

So my questions are:-

- Has anyone pulled apart their E89 trim?
- If so, what trim tools did you use?
- Did you prepare with some spare interior clips in case you broke any?

35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

jamesbond

Re: Interior 5D4D carbon wrap

Post by jamesbond » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:55 am

wow .. that looks different
Born in Yorkshire ended up in Essex .. 35is Mel red now sold
Own 2 big cats (F type & XE S supercharged) looking for a z4 Hobby Car

z4 3.0i 03 - Z4 3.0i 04 - Z4 3.0i 05 - Z4 3.0i 03 - Z3M (s54) 03 Man - Z4M 06 - Z4M 06 - Z4M 07 -
Z4 35is 2014

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:40 am

jamesbond wrote:wow .. that looks different
Yep, and not much response so I think I will have to figure it out by trial and error!

Was thinking about buying some piano black bits as a backup !
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:06 am

I asked the same question when I changed my silver carbon trim for wood and I think there was a thread a year or so ago about it. It wasn't overly helpful so I ended up taking it to a pro to swap.

I know that's not much help and sorry for the plug, but if you want some old trim to use first I have some for sale. Full set of silver carbon with a slight bit of lacquer chip near the gear lever.
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.