Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Very scary moment in the Z yesterday - brake tested

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
stuartinzg

Very scary moment in the Z yesterday - brake tested

Post by stuartinzg » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:33 am

Horrible moment yesterday on the highway in Europe. It was raining/thunder and the traffic was averaging 100km/hr up to 120-130 depending on how heavy the rain was as it tapered off occassionally. Cue some total moron/physco from Poland in an S class AMG flashing everyone out the way and speeding dangerously to the next car, repeat... saw him come up behind me, flash flash flash. On my right were slow moving lorries and people coming into the lane. The guy was so close and I had no where to go. To get to safety I accelerated to move past the traffic to pull in right... this acceleration seemed to anger the raving lunatic who proceeded to drive into the hard shoulder lane, undercut the lorries/cars, cut in front of all the traffic (and me) then slam on his brakes so hard that his warning light system came on. :headbang:

I noticed all this happening and managed to step on the brakes before just in time. Full ABS lock on all 4 wheels travelling at highway speeds, with the rain. At that point me and my friend decided to pull in and follow the lorries, because this chap clearly has a death wish. For some reason, it must have been a mixture of the storm and the end of the holiday season, so many people on the roads were overly aggressive - it made for a truly horrible trip home.

Thankfully the 35iS brake system saved us - as the guy went for a suicidal stop. We saw a big accident just off the motorway further up but couldn't see if it was him or not.

In 13 years of driving that was the single most horrible experience I've had on the roads. Truely shocking behaviour.

How do such people manage to acquire such assets? The car is pushing 150k euros+ list price - :roll:

:thumbsdown:
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Very scary moment in the Z yesterday - brake tested

Post by Marlon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:37 am

sounds like a heart stopping moment, you did well to think fast and make the right decisions!
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

rhys4

Post by rhys4 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:52 am

There are some idiots around.Glad you are ok

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:09 am

stuartinzg wrote:
How do such people manage to acquire such assets? The car is pushing 150k euros+ list price - :roll:
In Poland, the car is insured, not the person. Any driver can drive it so don't assume that the driver was the owner.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

simonlpearce

Post by simonlpearce » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:20 am

Regardless of who owned the car, that sort of driving in bad weather is absolutely uncalled for. Thankfully no one was hurt.
Simon's Ruby Black Z4 MC Journal
viewtopic.php?t=70563

E36 M3 Evolution - Individual Journal
http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=209427

The closer you are to death, the more alive you feel!

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:22 am

Indeed, my friend in the car was absolutely livid. Was trying to convince me to pull in to the main service stops afterwards to see if he had pulled in to "show him a lesson". At the time of course a part of you wants to give them a really good slap, but I didn't see any good coming of that.. the guy knew what he did was wrong and I just wanted to get home in one piece...
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

marchantsuk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by marchantsuk » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:01 pm

stuartinzg wrote:How do such people manage to acquire such assets? The car is pushing 150k euros+ list price - :roll:
:thumbsdown:
Drugs and/or Prostitution
Previous:
e89 2.5se Roadster
5 series touring
SLK 320
Audi A6 Avant Black edition
Now:
e86 M Coupe, Black/Red
Volvo XC60 R-Design

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:48 pm

I have noticed some really bad driving habits on our own roads lately and most is from foreign registered cars and vans, they jump red lights, absolutely floor it along 30 mph roads, park all over the place, under take, have windows that must be illegal as you can't see the driver or front passenger as blacked out and most of the cars look like they belong in the crusher.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:01 pm

Sunday 16th was a bad day on the Autobahn Frankfurt to Freiburg - six bumps with services in attendance in a 220 mile trip !

No heavies (Sunday) but plenty of bonkers drivers about !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: