Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oil top up?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
The_Dude

Oil top up?

Post by The_Dude » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi

I'm off to the Alps on thurs for some, shall we say, spirited driving.

I've just checked the oil level, whilst giving the car a once over and it's showing half. Obviously no dipstick and I don't particularly like the idea of spirited driving with half the required oil.

Can I just simply add it bit by bit then wait for the car to warm up to check the level, or is there another way?

The idiots guide in the owners manual says wait until a light comes on and bongs saying add 1litre. Which seems a bit daft to me.

What do other people do?

Thanks in advance.
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

GreyZed

Re: Oil top up?

Post by GreyZed » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:40 pm

The engine takes something like 6.5 litres of oil. The light comes on when you approach 5.5 hence the instruction to add 1 litre. The difference between max and min on the indicator is 1 litre so you are never running with 'half the required oil'. If your dash indicator is in the middle then your car is telling you that it has 6 litres of the 6.5 max capacity at the moment which is about 92% and not 50%.

Put a 1 litre bottle of oil in the boot and add if/when the light comes on.
Last edited by GreyZed on Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:00 pm

That's spot on. Thank you very much for the info.

Have got one ready and waiting for the journey. Along with some detailer, so it always looks good. Hahaha
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

GreyZed

Post by GreyZed » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:26 pm

If you have the 23i then it may be 7 litres or more oil capacity iirc. Anyway advice is the same even if quants slightly different.
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!

Acid_Monkey

Post by Acid_Monkey » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:49 am

If your running an n20 4 cylinder the full capacity is 4.5 litres, no more!

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:15 am

No harm in sticking half a litre in now

Napastar

Post by Napastar » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:55 am

Acid_Monkey wrote:If your running an n20 4 cylinder the full capacity is 4.5 litres, no more!
If your running an n20 I wouldnt worry about top ups period.

I bought my 20i sdrive at 3 months old with 30 miles on the clock. Its now 3 yaers old with 24k and according to the computer, the oil level has never moved off the max level.
I know some will suggest this is a positive, and if correct I guess it is, but I have to say that I'm sceptical and a touch suspicious of the computer
E89 sDrive 20i Jet Black - Red Coral Leather

GreyZed

Post by GreyZed » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:10 pm

Acid_Monkey wrote:If your running an n20 4 cylinder the full capacity is 4.5 litres, no more!
Perhaps that is true but the OP isn't running a 4 pot N20 is he? The 23i is the N52 lump which has 6 cylinders. :poke:

abeardo83

Post by abeardo83 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:00 pm

I just carry a 1l bottle around. (Mine needs 1l ever 2k miles, or there abouts).
When you get the yellow warning light, just top it up with the full 1l. Sorted for another xk miles then. I think that's the whole point of the yellow oil top up light, tbh.