Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2013 2.0 on Autotrader 11.5 K

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ric19

2013 2.0 on Autotrader 11.5 K

Post by ric19 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:52 pm

Just been on Autotrader and seen this

Can that be for real ?

(Link edited by CJ10jeeper as contains users own postcode)
Last edited by ric19 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ric19

Re: 2013 2.0 on Autotrader 11.5 K

Post by ric19 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:53 pm

If so I might buy it as a spare :)

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:58 pm

quick security info for you... that link is giving everyone your exact postcode... (starts with S18)

This is a sanitized link:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 7235450788

I'd recommend editing your post to keep yourself safe(r) :)
:zzzz:

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:11 pm

sk93 wrote:quick security info for you... that link is giving everyone your exact postcode... (starts with S18)

Google even has a nice pic of your car parked outside your house :)

imported

Post by imported » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:05 pm

Must be fake, even with manual trans and no idrive it still wouldn't be that low at 13.5k miles 13' reg. The description mentions DVD yet the button on the dash obviously means that there is no screen. Also since when does a Z4 come with a spare wheel?

Last month I spotted a decent mileage Ferrari California in my area on AT for £26k. Obviously fake as listings for very similar cars were £100k. If it's too good to be true then it probably is.

Only way it could be genuine is if it's a Cat D in which case there might even be some haggle room :P
sk93 wrote:quick security info for you... that link is giving everyone your exact postcode... (starts with S18)
I hate when people do that, paranoid much bro?
If a person knows your postcode online what can they do with it, and how is it different to just getting random postcodes from RM? Ok so his postcode is (Removed by Admin) what you think someone will visit him by going to all the addresses? How is it different to writing your address on a business card or a flyer?

Same goes for car regs, whats the difference to seeing a reg on a picture online compared to a reg physically in front of you? By your logic we all should put a blinder on our car regs when they are parked in public.
Last edited by imported on Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ric19

Post by ric19 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:16 pm

Thanks for the heads up :)

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:05 pm

imported wrote:Must be fake, even with manual trans and no idrive it still wouldn't be that low at 13.5k miles 13' reg. The description mentions DVD yet the button on the dash obviously means that there is no screen. Also since when does a Z4 come with a spare wheel?

Last month I spotted a decent mileage Ferrari California in my area on AT for £26k. Obviously fake as listings for very similar cars were £100k. If it's too good to be true then it probably is.

Only way it could be genuine is if it's a Cat D in which case there might even be some haggle room :P
I hate when people do that, paranoid much bro?
If a person knows your postcode online what can they do with it, and how is it different to just getting random postcodes from RM? Ok so his postcode is (Removed by Admin) what you think someone will visit him by going to all the addresses? How is it different to writing your address on a business card or a flyer?

Same goes for car regs, whats the difference to seeing a reg on a picture online compared to a reg physically in front of you? By your logic we all should put a blinder on our car regs when they are parked in public.
the first part of your post is about fake ads and dodgy cars.
the second one is about why its paranoid to be concerned about your details being on the web.

heres a simple explanation

you steal a matching car
then you knock up a fake v5 using his home address and details
then you pop into halfords and get a set of new plates made up using his real plates and your fake v5
finally, sell your stolen car, with a fake v5, and cloned plates, on autotrader for 11.5k
car doesn't come back as stolen on hpi check
everything looks great on paper
guy who buys stolen car gets f***ed
guy who had his plate and details stolen gets f***ed
guy who stole the car and data gets a wallet injection and didn't even need to go driving around trying to find a matching car and address..
heck.. you could probably get away with selling the 'same' car two or three times before you'd need to move on.

paranoid?
Nope. a previous colleague had EXACTLY this done when he bought a range rover.
and that's just one example.

but that's not my point.. the OP probably didn't know his address details were included in the link.
if he deliberately wanted to share that info, that's one thing.
if he didn't, then that's another entirely.
I haven't told him NOT to post it.. merely pointed out he DID.
:roll:

as for checking which house was his.. it took someone all of five minutes to look it up on google maps and find his exact house, and google maps is really great too, because it gives the full street address, including house number :thumbsup:

imported

Post by imported » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:29 pm

sk93 wrote:heres a simple explanation

you steal a matching car
then you pop into halfords and get a set of new plates made up using his real plates and your fake v5
finally, sell your stolen car, with a fake v5, and cloned plates, on autotrader for 11.5k
guy who stole the car and data gets a wallet injection and didn't even need to go driving around trying to find a matching car and address..
heck.. you could probably get away with selling the 'same' car two or three times before you'd need to move on.
Great plan apart from the fact that the seller has to sell the car at an address that isn't the same on the V5, and the VIN number on the engine/chassis not matching the hpi, dvla and/or v5. There will always be some sort of mismatch as well as missing paperwork, previous service/mots not matching the owners name or address and etcetera.

It is still no different to seeing a car parked on someones driveway, looking at the house number and road name and then finding out their name via 192 directory or a letter in the garbage and then using that info on a stolen car, probably much easier than going through info online. Actually if you think about it any thief could just look at any private ad on auto trader, call the seller, ask for the car reg (if not shown already in pics), their address and name as you want to view it. Heck many private sellers might even give you the VIN as well as their bank account details for payment, their profession, number of family members and more on the first call.

My point is that there is no extra security by keeping your car reg and address private online as it's already open info in real life. But I do think that Autotrader should have better verification checks (or some gov data sync).

paul_ozk

Post by paul_ozk » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:46 pm

Have to agree with imported.

The link had a postcode - and that's all. Not a home address. A postcode on it's own is nothing. No identifiable info linked either. The OP has no other address details linked.

Go visit http://www.doogal.co.uk/PostcodeGenerator.php and knock yourself out if you want postcodes - the bad guys will have them all anyway. Including the OPs :-)

Totally agree with being safe with your data - of course, but all things in perspective. A link to AT in a Z4 forum with a post code embedded in the URL ? Valueless. You seriously expecting the bad guys to waste time writing some code to search the internet for all pages then pattern match postcodes when all they need do is visit a postcode site like the above.

What annoys me, is people posting dead links - hey go look at this blah blah, and there is nothing to see. The sanitized link doesn't even work.

dead thread - :thumbsdown: .
18-30 Fiat Uno > Supra Turbo (awesome) > 300zx Twin Turbo (awesome++) > Golf (mistake)
30-50 Esprit S4 (sanity restored) > Esprit V8 (awesomeness restored) > XC60 (oops) > Z4 3.0si (undecided)

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:25 am

paul_ozk wrote:The link had a postcode - and that's all. Not a home address. A postcode on it's own is nothing. No identifiable info linked either. The OP has no other address details linked
As stated.. postcode, car picture in avatar/sig and google maps = full home address in under two minutes.

name? pretty simple to get if you look in the right places.

I agree that a postcode may NOT give you that much info alone.. but that's not all that was provided.
believe what you want. I'll continue knowing what I know :)

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:32 am

imported wrote:
sk93 wrote:heres a simple explanation

you steal a matching car
Great plan apart from the fact that the seller has to sell the car at an address that isn't the same on the V5, and the VIN number on the engine/chassis not matching the hpi, dvla and/or v5.
I have never, ever checked the VIN number on the engine.
And, tbh, I don't check the chassis one either if I've already HPI'd the car.. but even so, it's pretty simple to hpi the car you steal the plates from, print out a barcode and stick it over the top... something that's pretty common.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/vin-cloning-th ... d=28401709
There are plently of instances of people selling cars on the driveway of someone else whilst they're at work.
It was even covered on panorama about 4 years ago.

You're seemingly underestimating the level of intelligence of the crimscum that do this, and overestimating the intellegence of the average car buyer.
We're not talking about joyride douchecanoes, but those who make a very successful living from doing this.
There was four people recently busted in Birmingham in the last two weeks where they were clocking back high-end german cars, and altering the paperwork to mask it... they made over £100k in a very short amount of time.
And whilst we all might know what to look for, what to check for, how to be safe... we're in the minority.. by a long way.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -scam.html
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... en-1319342
http://www.gmp.police.uk/live/nhoodv3.n ... 12005C8B12

http://www.trusteddealers.co.uk/blog/ar ... -book-scam

but hey.. lets not argue.
we both have different views on this, and I'm not going to use the OP as an example of what data you can get from a postcode and bit of snooping, so shall we just agree to disagree?

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:43 am

paul_ozk wrote:ead links - hey go look at this blah blah, and there is nothing to see. The sanitized link doesn't even work.

because the advert has now been pulled..... it worked fine earlier lol

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:46 am

paul_ozk wrote:A link to AT in a Z4 forum with a post code embedded in the URL ? Valueless. You seriously expecting the bad guys to waste time writing some code to search the internet for all pages then pattern match postcodes when all they need do is visit a postcode site like the above.
a web crawler bot, that searches for bmw, audi, mercedes, scours all posts and logs any regex matched postcodes, would take an experienced coder less than an hour to write matey.
granted.. the chances are low.. but its still better safe than sorry.
hell, even if its 1 in 53 million.. it's still a chance.

and the important point here is.. the OP might not have known and I was pointing it out for him.. thats all :)

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:47 pm

imported wrote:
sk93 wrote: As stated.. postcode, car picture in avatar/sig and google maps = full home address in under two minutes.
Ok so what? Again how is that different to just phoning up a private car ad or even your next door neighbour's car?
My point was that there is absolutely no extra security in posting a pic of your car with reg number blurred out or even not leaking out your postcode. Yes all cars have the small chance of getting stolen but I doubt being paranoid about identification pics makes a difference since it's a picture of what is already publicly on show. Even if you're the type that shreds anything with your name and address on it, guess what it's all available online (e.g. 192 at a small cost) and marketing databases.

I don't disagree with you about car thieves but you need to remember that your example of that type of thief in Birmingham is just a non-story/micro news DailyMail Metro BS, especially when they only made £100k (like what 3-8 cars? wow we should all lock up our cars before they get stolen! :P ).
sk93 wrote:
paul_ozk wrote:ead links - hey go look at this blah blah, and there is nothing to see. The sanitized link doesn't even work.

because the advert has now been pulled..... it worked fine earlier lol
I reported it to AT, I guess they checked it out and removed it.
as stated. you are entitled to your own opinion regarding data security.
As am I, and infact everyone else.
As stated, I pointed out the fact the OP had, quite possibly unintentionally, posted his home postcode.
I didn't tell him his whole world would end, his car would be cloned, his house would devalue, he'd have criminals combing through his bins, theives prying his windows and cyber criminals emptying his bank account.
I told him he'd posted his post code....

Please, re-read my post, particularly the very last word:
quick security info for you... that link is giving everyone your exact postcode... (starts with S18)

safer

NOT posting your postcode is undeniably safer than posting it.
Regardless if the chance of something happening decreases from 2 in a quadzillion to 1 in a quadzillion, it's still a decrease.
People are free to make their own decisions, and as I've tried to clarify several times, I don't believe the OP spotted his postcode being included. If he'd replied saying 'nah, that's cool bro', then that is indeed cool bro... because he KNEW and made his own decision.

I too seriously doubt anything would happen. I also believe the chances are extremely small.
but for something to be small, they must exist.