Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Run Flat Tyre - repairable?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Goofle

Re: Run Flat Tyre - repairable?

Post by Goofle » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:27 am

So from what I've read -
Run flat tyres are noisier and give a harsher ride than normal.
Their levels of grip is lower, while the price is higher.
Unless you're fortunate enough to be within a stones throw of a tyre fitter (who probably won't want to repair them anyhow) if they puncture, they're ruined within a dozen miles or so if they are, ummm, run while flat?
As most of my journeys are 150 miles or more, they sound pretty useless! I may invest in a can of Tyre Weld. Pleased I'm in the AA...

Burgy100

Post by Burgy100 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:16 pm

For what its worth and coming late into this topic, I had a my run flat repaired as I had done about 700 miles in my new Z4 and it lasted for 4 months and then gave out on a journey to Cornwall with 95 miles to go our destination at 9.00PM at night. Did the full 95 miles at 50 mph our destination and drove to St Austall in the morning to get a new tyre. Needless to say it looked like a torn windsock inside. I think the moral is you can repair them but you run the risk of something bad happening, certainly at 70 mph on the A30 it blew the plug out, I would consider myself lucky to get away with it. Would I do it again? Yes but only as a short term solution and depending of the nature of the puncture!

Steve
E89 Silver 3.5is 2015 with a Heated Steering Wheel :driving:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:27 pm

Burgy100 wrote:For what its worth and coming late into this topic, I had a my run flat repaired as I had done about 700 miles in my new Z4 and it lasted for 4 months and then gave out on a journey to Cornwall with 95 miles to go our destination at 9.00PM at night. Did the full 95 miles at 50 mph our destination and drove to St Austall in the morning to get a new tyre. Needless to say it looked like a torn windsock inside. I think the moral is you can repair them but you run the risk of something bad happening, certainly at 70 mph on the A30 it blew the plug out, I would consider myself lucky to get away with it. Would I do it again? Yes but only as a short term solution and depending of the nature of the puncture!

Steve
The bung repairs are only intended as a short term fix whilst either having a proper tyre off puncture repair or a new tyre
I personally wouldn't risk running longterm at any decent speed :cry: scary
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:17 pm

Had one of my rears on my previous Zed plugged and ran it till I sold the car 15K miles later and it cost £15. Just don't goto one of the main tyre companies as they will tellyou they cannot be repaired. Stick to a smaller independant and it will be fine. Only takes about 20 mins.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

chasBMW

Post by chasBMW » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:35 pm

I have had to replace 3 tyres (2 on this car , 1 on previous) none of the places I spoke to would repair them and being honest I wouldnt have been to happy driving on a tyre that had been used whilst mostly flat , tyres & brakes they are what keep you alive , I wouldnt cut corners on those
Valencia Orange 35is now gone but well remembered now Porsche Boxster GTS

Denis O

Post by Denis O » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:15 pm

chasBMW wrote:I have had to replace 3 tyres (2 on this car , 1 on previous) none of the places I spoke to would repair them and being honest I wouldnt have been to happy driving on a tyre that had been used whilst mostly flat , tyres & brakes they are what keep you alive , I wouldnt cut corners on those
Do you only buy new cars, because if you ever buy a 2nd hand one, there is the potential for any or all tyres to have been plugged at some point.

If you've only ever bought new cars then please disregard my post.
06 Full Fat Range Rover 4.2 S/c

05 Merc SL350

chasBMW

Post by chasBMW » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:36 pm

Denis O wrote:
chasBMW wrote:I have had to replace 3 tyres (2 on this car , 1 on previous) none of the places I spoke to would repair them and being honest I wouldnt have been to happy driving on a tyre that had been used whilst mostly flat , tyres & brakes they are what keep you alive , I wouldnt cut corners on those
Do you only buy new cars, because if you ever buy a 2nd hand one, there is the potential for any or all tyres to have been plugged at some point.

If you've only ever bought new cars then please disregard my post.
Hi Denis , over the last 10 years its been new (some would say lucky , some would say mad) but it it was fairly obvious from sidewalls that something had gone on and if I was looking at a used one like that if they wanted me to buy it they would be putting new tyres on it
Valencia Orange 35is now gone but well remembered now Porsche Boxster GTS

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:53 pm

Denis O wrote:I ran 1 for about 12 miles to get me home and when the tyre came of the wheel, it was full of rubber balls that had broken off the sidewall.

Not even the most liberal of tyre fitters would have repaired that baby. It was totally shot.
You wouldn't want to repair that would you?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

ut745

Post by ut745 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:07 pm

I had a small nail in mine and every place told me they can't be repaired.

I finally found a place called Event Tyres in Old Trafford, Manchester and they took the tyre off, checked it all and repaired it for £15.

That was over a year ago and I've had no issue since.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:40 pm

The tyre fella I use says that they can see if the run flat facility has been used. He told me that it produces little rubber balls , in which case it's to throw away.

I don't think you will ever see run flat remoulds! :rofl:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: