Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

is an M version ever going to come out?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Re: is an M version ever going to come out?

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:39 pm

GuidoK wrote:The e85 ragtop is not cheap imho. :?
Swapping the roof is though compared to the E89 :wink:

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:41 pm

More complex - that always equals more money.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:28 pm

Surely the way forward for the e89 is a hybrid along the lines of the i8.
Just consider the same sort of set up and bhp with the electric motor driving the front wheels and the petrol driving the rear (as in the i8). Now that baby I would like to drive :D
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:55 pm

It's not a great surprise that a 35iS is as quick (or quicker) than a Z4M in that track video. For a start it's at least 5 years newer technology, on a car that had an RRP £3k higher with very similar power and a boat load more torque. Frankly the fact that a Z4M can keep it honest, is a testament to the M Division.

I personally don't think the 35iS will attract much of a following as a classic in the future but it's all conjecture really isn't it? We none of us know. My reasoning is that it has little pedigree - it didn't go racing (the E86M did), it's not an M, it doesn't have any uniqueness in its engineering either - it's not the last straight six NA M car with no driver aids or DCT for example. There is no curio about it other than the fact it was low volume and top of the E89 tree.

chasBMW

Post by chasBMW » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:22 pm

original guvnor wrote:It's not a great surprise that a 35iS is as quick (or quicker) than a Z4M in that track video. For a start it's at least 5 years newer technology, on a car that had an RRP £3k higher with very similar power and a boat load more torque. Frankly the fact that a Z4M can keep it honest, is a testament to the M Division.

I personally don't think the 35iS will attract much of a following as a classic in the future but it's all conjecture really isn't it? We none of us know. My reasoning is that it has little pedigree - it didn't go racing (the E86M did), it's not an M, it doesn't have any uniqueness in its engineering either - it's not the last straight six NA M car with no driver aids or DCT for example. There is no curio about it other than the fact it was low volume and top of the E89 tree.
This is well said and I mostly agree but I do think its relative rarity will help its future , If I had the money and the space I would put mine away somehere safe
Valencia Orange 35is now gone but well remembered now Porsche Boxster GTS

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:18 pm

original guvnor wrote:It's not a great surprise that a 35iS is as quick (or quicker) than a Z4M in that track video. For a start it's at least 5 years newer technology, on a car that had an RRP £3k higher with very similar power and a boat load more torque. Frankly the fact that a Z4M can keep it honest, is a testament to the M Division.

:rofl:

Jasey

Post by Jasey » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:37 pm

Any car locked up / hidden will eventually start appreciating - Even Essex Ferraris :)