Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coilover Confusion

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Whizo

Coilover Confusion

Post by Whizo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:02 pm

Hi guys

Right I have picked up my Z4 E89 and I am thinking about putting on 20" wheels but I want to lower the car to reduce the arch gap. Now I was just going to buy some lowering springs, H&R etc, but I have been told that the factory suspension isnt designed for a drop and therefore the shocks wouldnt last very long, a better way would be to buy coilovers. Now I have looked at KW etc but I am confused about EDC, my car is a M Sport and you can change the driving character of the car with a flick of a switch, if stiffens the ride etc, so that must mean I have EDC, or am I wrong?

Now if i do have EDC, from what I have read most coilover kits bypass this so you lose this function, is this also correct? If so is there a coilover kit that allows you to keep EDC and lower the car, all I want is a lower ride but dont want to ruin the standard shockers, any advice guys, many thanks.

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Coilover Confusion

Post by hopz121 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:33 pm

If you have EDC, a set of Eibach Springs will be fine on your standard dampers (i wouldnt go to low), i would check you have it though, have a look at the struct and look out for a box or similar on the it or check the spec sheet on the net.

With coilovers you would loose the functionallity of EDC (if you have it) and my need to switch off some warning lights or similar with INPA im not sure how the system works so i couldnt comment on it.

Hope this helps
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone