Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remap 35i

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
petrolhead

Re: Remap 35i

Post by petrolhead » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:30 pm

R.E92 wrote:The standard maps that come with it are good for ~380bhp. If you want more then you get e-tuned for $200.
I may be being thick but confused about the difference between re-map and e-tuned

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:27 am

petrolhead wrote:
R.E92 wrote:The standard maps that come with it are good for ~380bhp. If you want more then you get e-tuned for $200.
I may be being thick but confused about the difference between re-map and e-tuned
A re-map is the base tune. An e-tune is someone tweaking the tune further to customise it to your car by using engine data logs.

So you get a basic tune, write it to the car and drive around a little with your phone/COBB AP (depending on what route you take) storing engine data via to OBD port.
You then send the log to the tuner and he will adjust the tune and send it back to you. You load it into the car and repeat the same again until the tuner is happy with the data you send back.

All cars are different and everyone is at different altitudes with different grades of fuel around the world. It's impossible to make a one size fits all tune that performs well because there are so many variables. That's part of the reason the stock map is so tame, BMW want to allow for people who own the car in countries with terrible fuel quality, high temperatures and high altitudes. For us lucky Brits we have great fuel, cold weather and most of us aren't far from sea level so we can get some seriously good power gains.

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:38 am

R.E92 wrote:
petrolhead wrote:
A re-map is the base tune. An e-tune is someone tweaking the tune further to customise it to your car by using engine data logs.

So you get a basic tune, write it to the car and drive around a little with your phone/COBB AP (depending on what route you take) storing engine data via to OBD port.
You then send the log to the tuner and he will adjust the tune and send it back to you. You load it into the car and repeat the same again until the tuner is happy with the data you send back.

All cars are different and everyone is at different altitudes with different grades of fuel around the world. It's impossible to make a one size fits all tune that performs well because there are so many variables. That's part of the reason the stock map is so tame, BMW want to allow for people who own the car in countries with terrible fuel quality, high temperatures and high altitudes. For us lucky Brits we have great fuel, cold weather and most of us aren't far from sea level so we can get some seriously good power gains.
Many thanks, that all now makes sence

SO8

Post by SO8 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:00 pm

Anyone here used DMS to remap a 35i or 35iS ?
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

th30d0r3

Post by th30d0r3 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:52 pm

SO8 wrote:Anyone here used DMS to remap a 35i or 35iS ?
I have my 35is mapped by them. Totally changes the character of the car. It's fast with 407bhp on the dyno and you can certainly tell. But it makes the car drive too aggressively, you can't really pootle about. Took them 3 attempts to get it right. Fuel definitely suffers too, regardless of what they say.
I'm actually going to remove the map and pit ot back to standard, because I don't drive it enough and when I do, it's London driving so all I'm doing is burning fuel. Plus it needs a service.
Don't like my red stripes...? Then don't look at them...

SO8

Post by SO8 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:09 pm

th30d0r3 wrote:
SO8 wrote:Anyone here used DMS to remap a 35i or 35iS ?
I have my 35is mapped by them. Totally changes the character of the car. It's fast with 407bhp on the dyno and you can certainly tell. But it makes the car drive too aggressively, you can't really pootle about. Took them 3 attempts to get it right. Fuel definitely suffers too, regardless of what they say.
I'm actually going to remove the map and pit ot back to standard, because I don't drive it enough and when I do, it's London driving so all I'm doing is burning fuel. Plus it needs a service.
Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for. Their remap of my 330d LCI was truly superb but turned it into a bit too much of a beast to pootle about in. Can you actually use all the power in the dry or does it just spin up a lot ? My 330d (different I know) was OK but only in the dry with warm tyres on a good road ... otherwise letting it short shift from 1st was an absolute necessity if pulling away from a standstill.
Last edited by SO8 on Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:45 pm

You could ask them to map the throttle in a linear fashion.

The standard BMW throttle table is mapped to give you 100% throttle at 40% pedal which is to aggressive for my taste even without increasing the power output.

Most people who tune their cars use a more linear throttle table which will give you 100% throttle at 70% pedal. It helps control the power but makes the car feel sluggish initially until you re-adjust your right foot.

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:15 am

SO8 wrote:. . . . . . . . Can you actually use all the power in the dry or does it just spin up a lot ? . . . . . . .
This is the key issue IMHO. I have already posted that a 35is in OEM tune has problems controlling the power as it is so increasing the power is just going to exacerbate the problem. That is why it is being suggested that an LSD and decent high performance tyres are a must before remapping alone which will just result in, essentially, unusable additional oomph!
Considering Ordered Received 35is - Melbourne Red / Ivory White with lots of bells & whistles. Deep Sea Blue replacement 35is now also departed. Replaced by something more brash, more powerful and American!

SO8

Post by SO8 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:34 pm

Garvin wrote:
SO8 wrote:. . . . . . . . Can you actually use all the power in the dry or does it just spin up a lot ? . . . . . . .
This is the key issue IMHO. I have already posted that a 35is in OEM tune has problems controlling the power as it is so increasing the power is just going to exacerbate the problem. That is why it is being suggested that an LSD and decent high performance tyres are a must before remapping alone which will just result in, essentially, unusable additional oomph!
You sure your 35iS isn't already mapped ! I have few issues with it as std but can feel too much more power would overcome the chassis and make the car less fun.

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:15 pm

SO8 wrote:
Garvin wrote:
You sure your 35iS isn't already mapped ! I have few issues with it as std but can feel too much more power would overcome the chassis and make the car less fun.
I'm actually agreeing with you. Mine is not re-mapped and on anything but smooth tarmac it lights up the traction warning when using WOT in first gear a little too often and gets a bit too wayward at the rear far too quickly in tight bends! On broken and bumpy surfaces the traction light flickers incessantly so I have it in sport mode and wrestle it along. Another 50 bhp or so without other changes (LSD and non RFTs) would render the car almost undriveable when trying to use all the additional performance!
Considering Ordered Received 35is - Melbourne Red / Ivory White with lots of bells & whistles. Deep Sea Blue replacement 35is now also departed. Replaced by something more brash, more powerful and American!

SO8

Post by SO8 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:52 pm

Garvin wrote: I'm actually agreeing with you. Mine is not re-mapped and on anything but smooth tarmac it lights up the traction warning when using WOT in first gear a little too often and gets a bit too wayward at the rear far too quickly in tight bends! On broken and bumpy surfaces the traction light flickers incessantly so I have it in sport mode and wrestle it along. Another 50 bhp or so without other changes (LSD and non RFTs) would render the car almost undriveable when trying to use all the additional performance!
:thumbsup:

SO8

Post by SO8 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:59 am

I wonder if the Cobb maps are less aggressive ... no contacting DMS every time you want the map removed either - just a plug in device to the OBD ... hmmm :evil:

Available in the UK from Litchfield who have a good reputation and can purpose map to what you want - albeit for £££ ...

I must stop thinking about something I don't need ... :cry: :oops:

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:14 pm

SO8 wrote:I wonder if the Cobb maps are less aggressive ... no contacting DMS every time you want the map removed either - just a plug in device to the OBD ... hmmm :evil:

Available in the UK from Litchfield who have a good reputation and can purpose map to what you want - albeit for £££ ...

The standard COBB maps are very tame but have a good reputation for support. You can get hold of used COBB APs for the N54 very cheap (£250) these days because everyone is moving over to the newly released MHD.

The N54 section on Bimmerpost is the place to be asking all these tuning related questions.

SO8

Post by SO8 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:04 pm

R.E92 wrote:
SO8 wrote:I wonder if the Cobb maps are less aggressive ... no contacting DMS every time you want the map removed either - just a plug in device to the OBD ... hmmm :evil:

The standard COBB maps are very tame but have a good reputation for support. You can get hold of used COBB APs for the N54 very cheap (£250) these days because everyone is moving over to the newly released MHD.

The N54 section on Bimmerpost is the place to be asking all these tuning related questions.
I know but it seems mainly US based. My comments were more as chit chat this time :)

Z4_35i

Post by Z4_35i » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:47 pm

Been away from the forum for a while, but we've been running an ESS map for almost three years, stage 2, with no issues. Low rpm pick up is greatly improved and then there's the extra boost which is always entertaining when you feel like having fun :D

http://www.esstuning.com/products/ESS-E ... tware.html