Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remap 35i

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
jamesbond

Re: Remap 35i

Post by jamesbond » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:24 pm

Last edited by jamesbond on Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Born in Yorkshire ended up in Essex .. 35is Mel red now sold
Own 2 big cats (F type & XE S supercharged) looking for a z4 Hobby Car

z4 3.0i 03 - Z4 3.0i 04 - Z4 3.0i 05 - Z4 3.0i 03 - Z3M (s54) 03 Man - Z4M 06 - Z4M 06 - Z4M 07 -
Z4 35is 2014

SO8

Post by SO8 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:30 pm

john-e89 wrote:
SO8 wrote:I think the JB4 still shows traces to a BMW dealer on their equipment.
Quick hi jack...apologies OP

So8 have you been on hols in the 35is and have you decided to keep it or not?
OP, sorry :) Still on hols in 35iS ... still undecided ! It is going very well, which is good - and cheaper !

The dealer didn't come up with the goods £ wise on the M135i but still tempted. I may make him another offer but as there is now nothing wrong with the 35iS it is easier to keep.

I *may* order an M135i exactly as I want it rather than have the one the dealer has. His was black, which I would want, with privacy glass but had a sunroof and black leather. I would prefer no sunroof (as it's £900) and red leather. Time will tell ! The cheapest option is to keep the Z4. It is loosening up so nicely I would have to go through the process again with a new car and put up with 'moderate' performance for a few months which I may find frustrating.

Today the 35iS has gone rather nicely ... a trip through the Cheddar Gorge :D

Last edited by SO8 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

SO8

Post by SO8 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:33 pm

matsmith749 wrote:Yup - agree regards the power.

The 35is has a bit more power than it can cope with as it stands - if you up the power on a standard 35i to that kind of level (or more) then you will struggle to get anything from it rather than bragging rights.

Matt
I don't agree. I think the 35iS could cope with another 25bhp but no more. It can squirm but I would agree more than +25bhp; i.e. 360bhp would be a chore to use. I love the fact it will deploy all the power all of the time in good conditions but think more than another 25bhp and it will struggle.

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:58 pm

R.E92 wrote:It's a DCT 35i with a remap to approx 400bhp (stock hardware targeting 17PSI in the midrange and 15PSI further up). I have no problems with the extra power :)

James: If you're worried about keeping the warranty the LSD will most certainly invalidate any cover on the gearbox. I think most LSDs will alter the final drive.
That's really interesting - did you change anything else or just go with more power on it's own?

At first I thought it must be a faulty 35is (mine) - but drove half a dozen now & they have all been the same under power... weird. I see the issues that have been reported by just about every tester who had driven the car anywhere near the limit.... twitchy unpredictable swifts in the chassis / poor traction (at speed)... gearshift lurch upsetting the chassis under max load.... cornering lurch at speed... the lot. at it's worst it's like the front end of the car isn't connected to back end - press on hard & it tries to kill you.

Same road - same day - same speeds in a e92 m3 & no issue or drama.

You must have the 'good one' :)

My experience is that the stock car feels unstable when driven aggressively (only reason for more power surely is to drive aggressively?)... ah well... each to their own :)

Matt
Last edited by matsmith749 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:00 pm

Unstable in what way ?

SO8

Post by SO8 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:13 pm

matsmith749 wrote:
R.E92 wrote:It's a DCT 35i with a remap to approx 400bhp (stock hardware targeting 17PSI in the midrange and 15PSI further up). I have no problems with the extra power :)

James: If you're worried about keeping the warranty the LSD will most certainly invalidate any cover on the gearbox. I think most LSDs will alter the final drive.
That's really interesting - did you change anything else or just go with more power on it's own?

At first I thought it must be a faulty 35is (mine) - but drove half a dozen now & they have all been the same under power... weird. I see the issues that have been reported by just about every tester who had driven the car anywhere near the limit.... twitchy unpredictable swifts in the chassis / poor traction (at speed)... gearshift lurch upsetting the chassis under max load.... cornering lurch at speed... the lot. at it's worst it's like the front end of the car isn't connected to back end - press on hard & it tries to kill you.

Same road - same day - same speeds in a e92 m3 & no issue or drama.

You must have the 'good one' :)

My experience is that the stock car feels unstable when driven aggressively (only reason for more power surely is to drive aggressively?)... ah well... each to their own :)

Matt
The handling is unsophisticated I agree ... and takes getting hold of by the scruff of it's neck but it will do it. My Z4M Roadster was far easier to control but was slower. The run flats make it hard work. I think they are a significant issue. It skips and jumps but I have never felt likely to kill me. It just takes more effort than some more accomplished cars. It takes the power OK, will take some more but not too much IMO.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:01 pm

If I launch the car hard it will squirm. But that's part of the pleasure.

Once I'm up to speed I really don't feel any instability especially not in this warm dry weather. I have even tuned the wastegate PID control in the DME to be very fast acting by upping the P and D factor so the car builds boost a lot faster than most tuned cars and I still don't struggle with traction.

There's plenty of people with more aggressive tunes than me running 4PSI more boost and still not concerned about traction. But then all of those people will have swapped over to Michelin PSS. Most, like me, just stick with 265 on the rear but some go up to 275 for a little more grip.

I think most reviewers compare the Z4 to the Cayman. In that light then the Z4 looks fat and clumsy. But then so do most cars.

Timdon

Post by Timdon » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:15 pm

I just though a 35i with adaptive suspension could cope with a stage 1 remap

SO8

Post by SO8 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:08 pm

Timdon wrote:I just though a 35i with adaptive suspension could cope with a stage 1 remap
With a gentle right foot it will.

I managed a Golf GTi Edition 30 that went from 230bhp (it's restricted level as it was the same engine as an Audi S3 but detuned)to 300bhp. Floor it and all that happened was wheel spin and massive axle tramp. Pull away, let the DSG short shift into 2nd gear and it became a serious tool !

I would expect the same applies to a 370-400bhp Z4 35i/35iS ... Getting the power down in less than ideal conditions will result in loads if wheelspin and not much joy. Let it pull away, ease your foot off slightly, it drops into 2nd then absolutely flies and would destroy most things it comes across :evil:

I would love to try it but will not risk my car or the warranty - especially with my experience with the Z4 !

matthurley

Post by matthurley » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:54 pm

SO8 wrote:
Timdon wrote:I just though a 35i with adaptive suspension could cope with a stage 1 remap

I managed a Golf GTi Edition 30 that went from 230bhp (it's restricted level as it was the same engine as an Audi S3 but detuned)to 300bhp. Floor it and all that happened was wheel spin and massive axle tramp. Pull away, let the DSG short shift into 2nd gear and it became a serious tool !

I would expect the same applies to a 370-400bhp Z4 35i/35iS ... Getting the power down in less than ideal conditions will result in loads if wheelspin and not much joy. Let it pull away, ease your foot off slightly, it drops into 2nd then absolutely flies and would destroy most things it comes across :evil:

I would love to try it but will not risk my car or the warranty - especially with my experience with the Z4 !

What 0-60 time were you getting in the remapped Golf?
Z4 30i Sdrive Space Grey/ Coral Red

SO8

Post by SO8 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:33 pm

matthurley wrote:
SO8 wrote:

What 0-60 time were you getting in the remapped Golf?
No idea of what exactly but people on forums who had similar maps and got it professionally timed showed about 5.5 to 60 as opposed to VW claim of 6.6 to 62. IIRC 12.5 to 100mph was mentioned.

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:05 am

matsmith749 wrote: . . . . . . . . Traction & suspension is the first thing I would look to improve before worrying about adding more power.

In order I would go tyres first, then a LSD, then more power.
^^^^^This. RFTs are, IMHO, the limiting factor on this car. I'm on my second 35iS and the first would squirm and light up the traction warning under full bore acceleration on anything but the smoothest surfaces. Any undulations and or broken surfaces would herald a dash like a Christmas tree. With traction control off (or at least minimised) the whole car would squirm severely on some surfaces - good fun, but not the height of handling prowess! Cornering on bad surfaces resulted in a lot of skipping and jumping at the back end.

This bad behaviour has been reduced markedly on the second version (same spec as the first) and I put it down to improvements in the tyre technology for the RFTs. Well used roads, where I had to be mindful with the first car, are now not a problem but the traction warning will still light up on undulating surfaces but now only occasionally. It still skips & hops at the back but nowhere near as bad as the first offering.

A decent set of high performance tyres and an LSD would, I think, do wonders for the car!
Considering Ordered Received 35is - Melbourne Red / Ivory White with lots of bells & whistles. Deep Sea Blue replacement 35is now also departed. Replaced by something more brash, more powerful and American!

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:08 am

I think what we have to remember is how powerful the cars actually are...

Something with 340bhp is gonna squirm and buck under full bore acceleration..

340bhp is a lot of power for any car to keep under control... Turn off the Traction control and learn to drive the car without any driver aids, then go from there..

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:18 am

Z4M-2006 wrote:I think what we have to remember is how powerful the cars actually are...

Something with 340bhp is gonna squirm and buck under full bore acceleration..

340bhp is a lot of power for any car to keep under control... Turn off the Traction control and learn to drive the car without any driver aids, then go from there..
My weekend 'toy' has 380bhp, absolutely zip in terms of traction/stability control and tracks straight and true under full bore red line up changes. It also corners like it is on rails no matter the road surface. The Z4 really wouldn't see which way it had gone on the twisties!

Oh, and it's 18 years older than the Z4!
Considering Ordered Received 35is - Melbourne Red / Ivory White with lots of bells & whistles. Deep Sea Blue replacement 35is now also departed. Replaced by something more brash, more powerful and American!

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:55 pm

And it is what ?

I guess it cost 3 times more than a Z,and its a dedicated sportscar with high end suspension components..