Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parking

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
walker1c

Re: Parking

Post by walker1c » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:58 pm

Damage in a car park can be the result of carelessness or malice. By occupying two bays you may avoid carelessness, but your car will be a magnet for malice, especially if the car park is crowded.

I should imagine your car is just as likely to be damaged in traffic as in a car park. You can only be completely safe if you just leave it in the garage and ogle it from time to time.

Low-speed damage to paintwork is easy enough to have repaired. In the final analysis, it's only a car. :poke:
2006 2.5i Z4 Roadster, Titansilber/dream red : 2015 530d Touring, mineral grey/oyster

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:53 pm

buzyg wrote:
PerryGunn wrote:
HillWalker wrote:Great idea Number5, :rofl: only with the limited boot space where does the holiday luggage go
Easily solved, get an inflatable child seat :wink:
This is one reason I keep coming back to this wonderful place. :thumbsup: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:
Better still get an inflatable child and leave in the car, see if anyone notices :)

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:37 am

Every time I see some t0sser taking up 2 spaces it makes my p1ss boil :thumbsdown:
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

Barley

Post by Barley » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:08 am

Parking accross two bays is out of order, extremely selfish. Ironic that you fear parking in case another motorist is as inconsiderate as you.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:58 am

I never park on a public car park other than the local supermarket during the evening when it's quiet.
Even then I park at the back on the assumption everyone else is too lazy to walk.
When I do park, i occupy two spaces..why?
Because you still get some numbskull who still want's to park a foot and half away from drivers door and stops you getting in.
A few times I have parked in the space, only to be followed by someone parking next to me, so I have pulled back and parked elsewhere.
They have usually been in a works van.

Still got my door banged by the 'censored' neighbour at the flats I live at. Week before she left.

When I take out my elderly mother I park in the kiddy spaces.
The local supermarket has a small (close to the doors) and large car park.
When sat in the café you can see joe public (usually large wimen) struggling to reverse into the spaces in the fully occupied small car park. Quite comical at times to them struggle to get in and out of their car.
When there's an empty football field size car park at the side!

Havard

Post by Havard » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:06 am

I have OCD when it comes to cars and keeping them pristine. Even my daily driver which is a lease car is pampered. However, there are few things more ignorant than parking across two spaces anywhere. Pick a spot with some space either side or find some on road parking where no one can open their door into your P&J.

Here's a novel idea, park further away in a nice, safe space and walk to your intended destination. Parking like an arse will give irate people ideas about how to teach you a lesson, so why do it?

H.
ImageImage

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:18 am

I love all these park far away comments. I've parked in the furthest away spot at an Asda at 6:30am, car park empty and still someone parked right next to me but I assume that they did so in the hope that the owner (me) would not damage their car. Still annoying because if there is lots of room and elsewhere then your like why?
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

CornishRob

Post by CornishRob » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:36 am

I think you just need to not worry about it. If its going to happen, it will happen regardless of you trying to prevent it!

Just stop worrying so much, and worse case if something happens, get it fixed!
Current: 2007 Titanium Silver Z4MC - For Sale End of Feb
Previous: 2002 Land Rover Defender 90

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:59 am

Parking in an open area means you do not know who is going to turn up and park next to you. Like a people carrier full of kids who swing the doors open to get out.
Whereas if you park between two cars that look like they have been looked after it could be better.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

mattwaltersz4m

Post by mattwaltersz4m » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:16 am

HillWalker wrote:in supermarket car parks etc I always park between two spaces, never take the Z to supermarkets. But going away in the Z for a few days I'm really nervous of where I'll have to park it, so my question is ,if I park in a pay and display car park between two spaces and buy two tickets, is that allowed , and if so will it upset some scroat who may do some damage anyway.
Its only a car and can be repaired if damaged. Parking like that I believe would draw extra attention to the car and you will end up with malicious damage or parking. I once witnessed a Porsche parked similar to you describe where a van pulled up, both side doors were deliberately opened onto it. :thumbsdown:
Z4MR Carbon

Timdon

Post by Timdon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:58 pm

I will not park over 2 places ,but I still annoys me that People today have no respect for other people's property . I look after my car and don't want too paint it ,so will try to park away from potential problems ,!i have come to the conclusion that some people have no respect for other people or there property .

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:33 pm

This is how I like to park, always an end space and at an angle if possible,

However it doesn't always work, this was the result of parking at an an end space and someone reversing out of an opposite space, personally on this occasion I think it was done on purpose as there was miles of reversing space.

I would agree though, its going to happen no matter how hard you try to avoid damage etc, unless you don't use the car and keep it locked away.

Tim.

Scotscim

Post by Scotscim » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:06 pm

When looking for a parking space , I always avoid parking next to two door cars, as generally the have to open wider,

Greig
The stable
1.8 turbo Rover 75 with a remap :D
1968 Reliant scimitar coupe 3.1 essex v6
1952 Series one with a 200 Tdi turbo
1995 Landrover Defender 90 challege truck
2003 z4 3.0l the new kid

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:48 pm

Scotscim wrote:When looking for a parking space , I always avoid parking next to two door cars, as generally the have to open wider,

Greig
Unsure how that works if you have plenty of cars coming and going whilst you're parked up :?

Tim.