Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The 35is predicament..

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
RoyS

The 35is predicament..

Post by RoyS » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:32 pm

Well hi guys, some of you may remember I've asked a few questions about the 35is before but I've made the decision to upgrade from the 3.0 sdrive, the question is what is the best option for me? I know the sales people put you under a bit of presure and I get slightly confused with numbers flying everywhere so can I ask your opinions...

Has anyone gone from the 35i to the 35is? Is there much difference between the two or are they the same car? All I notice is the big price difference and the few extra BHP that is if I get an auto 35i with the dual clutch... But then again will I just get the 35i amd wish I had gone for the 35is?

I test drove the 35is today for the first time and wow I loved it so much more of everything compaired to the 3.0, the car however I had a bad feeling about and won't be purchasing this car. The front bumper I noticed immediately, it was not sitting correctly and I pointed this out straight away, he agreed it wasn't right not that I needed his confirmation, my Zed was sat right next to it and you could clearly see it wasn't alligned. He said it was probably due to ' the bumper had been taken off to be resprayed to remove stone chips' im not sure how true this was but I didn't feel 100% about the cars history. Also the fact it didn't have some extras I would prefer for example DAB and Cruise other than that it nearly had all other extra.

So here is my situation I have finance on my current car which can be paid off now (roughly around 11.5k) however the sales person said not to bother as my car was valued at 13k (which I thought was abit low when he compaired to auto trader they ranged from 15-17k for my miles but mine has all the desirable extras the others are missing one or the other e.g. Sat nav or cruize ect ect....) and that I was in positive equity with it and that I should trade the car as it is they pay the remaining finance and use the remainder as partial deposit aswell as my savings fund. Rather than pay it off my self and part ex the car as it would take longer to clear... (I'm in no rush to upgrade). Either way I'm not sure if there is a difference he said there was not but if it works for them it's not like he was going to tell me he wants the sale.

So anyway we went for a drive after discussing prices and I loved it we returned to talk some more, I mentioned my alloys condidtion they are not 100% however I prefer my gloss black 296's and that if it helped we can do a straight swap to the new car thinking I would knock some money off. This was not the case he just saw it as another way to bump up the resell value. I asked if it was the best price on the car he said yes it has been reduced 2 months ago by £500 but I know the car has been there for a while now. A while back someone else put a deposit on it about 5-6 months ago but pulled out, I mentioned this to him and he said there was no other reason than them changing their mind about the car which makes another reason i had a feeling about the car.

Soooo after me rambling on (Sorry LOL) what would be the best option for me pay existing finance off using the car as part Ex and getting new finance on the remaining value or Part Ex the car as it is let them settle the finance and take that off the value of my car and then use my cash is it simply 6 of one and half a dozen of the other? Or is there hidden reasons that I don't see or understand?

I know there is alot of questions in there and that it is my decision but other peoples views and experiences do helpmake decisions so thanks anyone in advance to any replies.

RoyS.

srhutch

Re: The 35is predicament..

Post by srhutch » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:40 pm

6 of one ......

Either way you need to clear the finance and they will want proof, so probably easier for them, or he is just trying to get you in that car.

RoyS

Post by RoyS » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:43 pm

Thanks :) Like I said I'm in no rush and fidning the right model for the right price is important and if it takes 1 month or over a year I won't compromise, it's not like I have a terrible car I have a fantastic car in my eyes.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:50 pm

Whoooa nearly passed out part way through that Roy :D
All a bit mixed up especially as you don't want that particular car anyhow :?
Any dealer will have your pants around the ankles especially if you offer them negatives which they will use against you (outstanding finance/shabby wheels )
Going forward you need to get off your stool early , get across the ring & plant one squarely on the dealers chin :wink: by that i mean sell your car privately for a true market value , settle off the finance & once you find a car you like haggle hard as a "cash" buyer , never show them the car is what you really want , let them work hard to get your business :wink:
As for the car purchase ?
Do you want to own the car at the end or do you want to pay as little as poss then hand the car back after a given period ?
What was the price/year/details of the car you viewed ?
How much total finance would you require to buy it outright ? (Tesco loans are virtually giving cash away at 3.8% )
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

RoyS

Post by RoyS » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:59 pm

The problem with selling my car would mean I have no car for awhile which could be months and I do need one.

He mentioned PCP which I've never really understood however when explained properly I don't want this I want to own it at the end.

So the car - http://www.proveeda.co.uk/bmw-z4-sdrive ... lk-3941242
I would like a car with Nav, heated leathers and cruise min spec DAB preferable but not essential. Audio is not a big deal as later on there is always the possibility to upgrade that. I don't know the scare with potential retro fit of cruise in the E89.

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:01 pm

Link doesnt work :(

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:24 pm

You can still go with a PCP Roy and opt to own the car at the end of the agreement by paying off the balloon, thats the flexibility it gives. Having said that the % rate on a PCP if BMW on an AUC is alot poorer than if buying new. Sometimes its cheaper to buy new than used lol.

Tim.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:32 pm

If you opt to buy after being on a PCP deal do you end up paying a lot more for the car than you would if you knew at the beginning you would buy it?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:44 pm

Think it works out the same...

But the balloon payment is usually high,and not many pay it off after having the car 3 years anyway..

Its a clever way of the dealers creating there own stock with low miles,with the customer taking the hit of new car depreciation.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:47 pm

Nictrix wrote:If you opt to buy after being on a PCP deal do you end up paying a lot more for the car than you would if you knew at the beginning you would buy it?
The balloon amount is fixed at the start of the contract based on your mileage, length of PCP and what they think the car will be worth at the end of the agreement. I think it can work in your favour if buying new as if you do much less mileage than agreed and keep the car immaculate you still pay the agreed value, the balloon amount wouldn't be increased to reflect the lower mileage or above average condition. Once the PCP is up BMW write to you asking if you want to purchase the vehicle and all you do is post a cheque off to them. They don't inspect the car unless you decide to give it back in which case if you go over the agreed mileage and the car is in below average condition with damage your charged extra to take this into account.

Tim.

RoyS

Post by RoyS » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:48 pm

Hi guys, I would rather avoid the PCP because of the ballon payment he showed me the options and overall. the monthly payment were less but the final payment made it more overall. The only way he said was worth it were if I intend to get rid of the car before the end payment or if at the end the car is valued less than the final payment 'I wouldn't be losing money' as I just hand it in. i kind of saw where he was coming from but it's not for me.

envy

Post by envy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:27 pm

i see where you are coming from

i had similar dilemmas when upgrading my last 20i to the 35is. what helped me was i knew the best prices offered on a new 35is from broadspeed so negotiated this from the dealer at the offset. my second issue was paying off the finance and selling my 20i privately or giving it to the dealer and getting some equity from them. thirdly, i didnt want to be without a car at any point. having considered all options, it was easier for me to either keep the 20i or see how easy the dealer would make it for me to upgrade. safe to say the dealer did everything in their power to get my business. they offered me a very good trade in on my 20i (3k equity) and all i had to do was wait 3 weeks and come in to swap over the cars and sign the paperwork.

i guess what i am saying is that is all the extra hard work you put in to pay off your car really going to pay dividends given that a lot of people spending that kind of money on a used car would prefer to buy from a dealer because of peace of mind rather than a private seller

RoyS

Post by RoyS » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:07 am

Exactly my point envy, I definitely won't be able to afford to bu a new one but like you said if they want the sale they will make it work just finding the right model first..

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:12 am

One thing everyone is missing here, what about straightforward HP?

Deposit, 48 monthly payment, plus interest, the car is yours.

Easy

RoyS

Post by RoyS » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:16 am

Stark, that is the most likely option I will be taking but I was confused weather it made a difference to pay off my existing HP or to let the dealership pay it off then me give them the money..