Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Why are there so many that don't go topless?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
rossonr

Re: Why are there so many that don't go topless?

Post by rossonr » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:50 pm

Tried that but got a slap lol
Z4 3.0i black sapphire. Manual 6 speed. Cruise control. red Oregon leather. Dan's RAM air-scoop.Aux in. brembo discs and pads. 19" m345 replica alloys

imported

Post by imported » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:09 pm

metal licker wrote:Sometimes you have to put the windows up :wink:
That guy gives no f***s :thumbsup:
rossonr wrote:I go topless as often as I can. Girlfriend moans its too cold so make sure there's a jumper in the boot for her lol
Interesting that you mention that because that's the only problem I have; it seems women in general just hate being cold regardless of any advantage. I guess it's only fun for the one in control.

What's the ideal temp setting for when driving topdown in the cold with the e89? I hope it isn't max temp + auto + seat heating because that makes me both hot and cold at the same time. Also, is it just me or is the minimum seat warming setting too hot?

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:21 pm

Well I'm female and I drive a E89, I don't care if it's cold, if it's icy, snowing, sun is shining or its at night......as long as it's not raining then roof is down. My other half HATES the roof being down. He has some choice words for it, only time he liked the roof being down was from the hotel to Silverstone last year, going round the country roads.

Re the heated seats, it does get a bit too warm at first but then it dies off. On a really cold day I will usually drive with just a heated seat for additional warmth. The heaters only come on if there is a bit wind that's blowing a gale.

I've been driving verts for over 10 years now, I've not once had the roof down and complained I've been too cold. They just need to 'man' up. I didn't even complain I was cold when I drove my E88 naked once up in the pentland hills for a laugh.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

rossonr

Post by rossonr » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:28 pm

:worthless: :worthless: :worthless:
Z4 3.0i black sapphire. Manual 6 speed. Cruise control. red Oregon leather. Dan's RAM air-scoop.Aux in. brembo discs and pads. 19" m345 replica alloys

envy

Post by envy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:41 pm

i drive with the roof up most of the time as i think it looks better that way. the roof only comes down if its a nice, pleasant day otherwise if its too cold or too hot, it stays up.

i paid extra for a convertible because i can afford to and also they dont make a coupe e89 :P

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:44 pm

Funnily enough you can't take a picture of the outside in whilst driving especially out in the middle of nowhere. If there is/was any pics then they would have been deleted 6 years ago unfortunately/fortunately

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:48 pm

envy wrote:i drive with the roof up most of the time as i think it looks better that way. the roof only comes down if its a nice, pleasant day otherwise if its too cold or too hot, it stays up.

i paid extra for a convertible because i can afford to and also they dont make a coupe e89 :P
I've been in traffic in really warm weather and thought I'd be better with the roof up and air con on.....still didn't do it.

I like the coup feeling but find that if there is crosswinds that unlike a ragtop you get buffeted around something silly.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

Havard

Post by Havard » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:02 am

Never had a convertible before and hardly done any driving with the roof down. Tried a couple of times in Europe but at 80mph I found it a bit cold and unpleasant.

Having a bald head doesn't help either as I am limited to how much sunshine I can expose myself to. Got a nice cap before the trip but realised I looked like a tw@t wearing a cap in a soft top.

H.
ImageImage

imported

Post by imported » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:24 am

Havard wrote:Having a bald head doesn't help either as I am limited to how much sunshine I can expose myself to. Got a nice cap before the trip but realised I looked like a tw@t wearing a cap in a soft top.

H.
Like Angie4m I decided to almost always drive with the top down, even in short moments when it might be better with the roof up. One reason is the day I go bald (or maybe I won't?!?!) I'll just regret not doing it. I'm not of a fan of the bald guy wearing a hat while driving a convertible look. Wow I never knew that getting sunburned on your head was an issue.
Angie4m wrote:Well I'm female and I drive a E89, I don't care if it's cold, if it's icy, snowing, sun is shining or its at night......as long as it's not raining then roof is down. My other half HATES the roof being down. He has some choice words for it, only time he liked the roof being down was from the hotel to Silverstone last year, going round the country roads.
In that case it might actually be what I wrote after, that it might only be enjoyable for the one in control (the driver). Also using the heater/air conditioning doesn't really affect mpg that much so I prefer to just use it but atm I haven't figured out the ideal settings.

Smiler

Post by Smiler » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:34 am

The great thing about these cars is the choice. I enjoy both states. :)

imported

Post by imported » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:02 am

Smiler wrote:The great thing about these cars is the choice. I enjoy both states. :)
Actually maybe that's the reason, the choice to drop the top even though you might hardly ever drop it.

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:59 am

if it's not rainig, the top's off!
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

A1GSS

Post by A1GSS » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:14 am

I'm a roof down at all costs owner... Heated seats and steering wheel. Cabin heater on. Get a bit of speed up in the rain and it's still ok, but tbh never tried it in the snow :rofl:
Last edited by A1GSS on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham.

2011 Z4 23i sDrive Space Grey / Coral Red

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:45 am

I like to put the top down but only when its warm enough I am not one to put the top down in the middle of winter just because the sun comes out I have a pair of wellies but I don't put them on every time it rains :D

Have kept the top up on the odd occasion in nice weather but that was due to my passenger being unwell.

What gets me is people in soft top cars in town on a nice hot day with the roof down but windows up and a wind deflector may as well buy a hard top with sun roof I will drive windows down no deflector even on motorways but does get a bit blowy when you push on a bit :D if i have a passenger then I will pop up the windows as its to noisy to here what they are saying
Last edited by GAZA62 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

techathy

Post by techathy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:48 am

Top up in the wet & on long sections of consistently >50mph road* else it's top down and the windows up*.

Edit: has anyone compared wind noise with windows down with the wind deflector on & off?

* I find that somewhere between 10 to 15 min without this and my ears start to ring.
Last edited by techathy on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current: '09 Lotus Evora Launch Edition
Previous: '13 BMW 120dx, '15 BMW z4 35iS