Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Media plug-in adapter cradle for iPhone 6 has been released

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Acid_Monkey

Media plug-in adapter cradle for iPhone 6 has been released

Post by Acid_Monkey » Fri May 29, 2015 3:38 pm

Was at the stealer today, and noticed that the cradle for the iPhone 6 has been released @ £134.99.

BMW have only released one version this time, so it's all singing and all dancing - thought I'd share the part number here if anyone was interested: 84212407464

Not sure if the apps work, but I can now sell my old iPhone 4 which I had in the car for the sole purpose of my 40gb music collection, and for BMW live. :D

wegras

Re: Media plug-in adapter cradle for iPhone 6 has been relea

Post by wegras » Fri May 29, 2015 6:31 pm

Cheers for that ,been waiting ,no doubt the next new iPhone will be along soon hope it is same Form factor as the 6 :o
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

Steve109

Post by Steve109 » Sat May 30, 2015 7:13 am

Thanks for that, another bit to add to the list when next visiting the dealer
2012 Z4 SDRIVE20I M SPORT Auto White with Black leather

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat May 30, 2015 9:29 am

Isn't it just cheaper to plug the phone in? The cradle adds very little signal gain and afaik adds no other features that plugging it into USB doesn't already offer? Plus every time you change your phone you need a new cradle. Just plug it in?

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sat May 30, 2015 9:32 am

I used to buy cradles but after waiting an age for the iPhone 5 one when it took over a year to come out I've never bothered since. Although it would be handy and I've been toying with it. Not sure how long I'll have my phone for and then it's more expense again when you change.

It's more a convenience thing really and ideal when both me and my other half are in the car on a long journey. He can also charge his phone whilst mines is in the cradle and using the music that way.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Acid_Monkey

Post by Acid_Monkey » Sat May 30, 2015 11:10 am

Maniac wrote:Isn't it just cheaper to plug the phone in? The cradle adds very little signal gain and afaik adds no other features that plugging it into USB doesn't already offer? Plus every time you change your phone you need a new cradle. Just plug it in?
Well...the USB connectors offer the worlds worst audio quality - it's to do with the crap way the combox deals with the aux cable/USB audio signals (Same with the Mini's). Unless you're deaf it's easy to hear how muddy the bass is, and how the treble hisses. At first I thought the cable was faulty - but they are all like that. It makes my 320 kbit CD quality audio collection all sound 64kbit... and it drove me insane until I got a cradle and dedicated device for my music collection, and the audio quality difference was like night and day!

If you're not into your music, or you can't differentiate between poor quality audio and high quality, then stick with the USB.

Also my phone doesn't rattle about in the centre console... :D

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat May 30, 2015 11:18 am

Actually no. Aux yes is poor because it's analog but with combox cars you can play audio via USB which is digital and it does not require aux at the same time as per pre combox cars like mine. USB audio quality is as good as it gets as there is no conversion by the input device.

So again, the cradle really only offers a very expensive way to hold your phone.

Acid_Monkey

Post by Acid_Monkey » Sat May 30, 2015 11:57 am

Maniac wrote:Actually no. Aux yes is poor because it's analog but with combox cars you can play audio via USB which is digital and it does not require aux at the same time as per pre combox cars like mine. USB audio quality is as good as it gets as there is no conversion by the input device.

So again, the cradle really only offers a very expensive way to hold your phone.
Sorry but that's incorrect - I've tested both BMW's Media cable (as well as separate, quality USB and male-male aux cables) , and the cradle side by side and the difference is astounding. Have you? :P

In fact, using the BMW Media cable, the audio does not travel through the USB connector, instead it goes through the 3.5mm analogue jack, whilst album art, controls etc are fed through the USB.

Give it a try, on a high quality track you're familiar with and you'll hear the massive difference in quality. Compared side-by-side the cabled connection gives the impression that the audio signal is being compressed at some point.

As said earlier, If you're not into your music, or you can't differentiate between poor and high quality audio, then stick with the USB.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat May 30, 2015 12:21 pm

Pre combox cars required the media adaptor to play digital audio from a phone because you had to use USB to carry power and AUX for audio when using the cable.

Combox cars carry both audio, data and power digitally and do not require aux connection. The media adaptor achieves just the same thing in combox cars as if you connected USB only.

To answer your question how do I know the above, I researched and tested extensively when I could not get the expected digital audio over USB, I discovered this was only possible on combox equipped cars which came out a year or so after mine.

As to caring about audio, I won't drop names but let's just say I've never scrimped on high end hifi, that plus having a musical family means I've a fair bit of audio knowledge. Not that this is important in this topic.

What is the MY of your car?

USZ4

Post by USZ4 » Sat May 30, 2015 1:10 pm

The adapter would be a cool option if you could snap in a phone without removing the case
Manny

2016 e89 35i
2013 e93 M3

Acid_Monkey

Post by Acid_Monkey » Sat May 30, 2015 3:31 pm

Maniac wrote:Pre combox cars required the media adaptor to play digital audio from a phone because you had to use USB to carry power and AUX for audio when using the cable.

Combox cars carry both audio, data and power digitally and do not require aux connection. The media adaptor achieves just the same thing in combox cars as if you connected USB only.

To answer your question how do I know the above, I researched and tested extensively when I could not get the expected digital audio over USB, I discovered this was only possible on combox equipped cars which came out a year or so after mine.

As to caring about audio, I won't drop names but let's just say I've never scrimped on high end hifi, that plus having a musical family means I've a fair bit of audio knowledge. Not that this is important in this topic.

What is the MY of your car?
Interesting info re pre com-box cars - mine is 2012.

I'm not here to willy-wave lol I just know from experience they both have completely different sound quality/signatures.

Incidentally if you want the iPhone 6 adapter to play your music library off of the phone, you'll need a firmware update to enable the audio to come through.

Obs-Com

Post by Obs-Com » Sat May 30, 2015 8:29 pm

Sorry but I'm no expert when it comes to hi fi but I do like my music sounding good in the car. I have an iPhone 4 that lives in the BMW cradle when in the car. However my music collection is on an iPod touch that lives in the central storage armrest and is connected via the BMW usb/jack connector. The info for the iPod comes up on my media screen and to me sounds great through the BMW professional hi fi system fitted to my car.

Can I just confirm I'm using the best set up available to me? Also, if I upgraded my phone to a 6 and also stored my music on this I could get rid of my iPod and play the music via my phone and get the track info on my screen as I do with my iPod? Call me old fashioned but I still use my phone as a phone and my iPod as a music player!! I know I can store music on my phone but thought I didn't get the same info/read out as I do on the iPod???
2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
2016-17: F33 440i
2017-17: E85 2.5si
2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
2019-23: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)
2023-??: G23 M440i

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Sun May 31, 2015 12:28 am

A ten quid 16GB USB stick into the centre USB port handles all my music and artwork at a better sound quality than my iPod touch did.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

USZ4

Post by USZ4 » Sun May 31, 2015 3:40 am

Agree. Uncompressed music on a USB stick sounds way better than music from an Apple device
Manny

2016 e89 35i
2013 e93 M3

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:27 pm

dr_john wrote:A ten quid 16GB USB stick into the centre USB port handles all my music and artwork at a better sound quality than my iPod touch did.

I've got a thumbnail sized USB stick - I can't see why you would need anything else.

Roof up the car is noisy, roof down , plenty of wind noise - accousticaly the car is rubbish!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: