Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

a bluetooth thing

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
awwalker

a bluetooth thing

Post by awwalker » Tue May 26, 2015 5:42 pm

I am desperate to find a way to stream spotify from my phone without connecting an aux cable. I have got a 2013 pro radio with no idrive The phone bluetooth is connected and working, is there any way I can connect with the usb so I can use the steering wheel controls?
Thanks
20i msport auto,

imported

Re: a bluetooth thing

Post by imported » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:28 pm

awwalker wrote:I am desperate to find a way to stream spotify from my phone without connecting an aux cable. I have got a 2013 pro radio with no idrive The phone bluetooth is connected and working, is there any way I can connect with the usb so I can use the steering wheel controls?
Thanks
Bluetooth is for telephone calls only (the bluetooth module they use was deliberately chosen to suck dick).
USB is for file transfer and charging only (again, deliberately to chosen to prevent cheap upgrades).
Even with the iPhone clip-on adapter you still can't play music that isn't physically stored on the phone through your car's system.

The only thing I can think of (100% theoretical) is to connect a 30-pin bluetooth 4.0 receiver to a 30pin BMW clip-on adapter and then pair the receiver to your phone. If the BMW thinks the receiver is an iPod (my B&W zeppelin dock does it) then it might change the track even for podcasts, spotify, 8tracks, youtube and etc. Actually I have all of these items, I'll try it tomorrow but bear in mind my e89 has idrive/satnav so it might not work on yours.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:47 pm

I've connected a cheap Bluetooth receiver to the aux socket on my E86. I can pair my phone with this and play anything that would normally be played through the phone speaker - that includes the sound track of YouTube videos, Spotify, Amazon Music etc as well as music and sounds stored on my phone. The Bluetooth receiver is hidden away and powered from the car. If you have a phono aux socket in your E89 you can do this too. Obviously I can't control the phone through the MFSW but the phone is mounted in front of me anyway so there's no need.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

imported

Post by imported » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:16 am

BMWZ4MC wrote:I've connected a cheap Bluetooth receiver to the aux socket on my E86. I can pair my phone with this and play anything that would normally be played through the phone speaker - that includes the sound track of YouTube videos, Spotify, Amazon Music etc as well as music and sounds stored on my phone. The Bluetooth receiver is hidden away and powered from the car. If you have a phono aux socket in your E89 you can do this too. Obviously I can't control the phone through the MFSW but the phone is mounted in front of me anyway so there's no need.
No I think he wanted a clean solution, phone out of sight and tracks controlled via steering wheel at least. I have a layen i-dock, the 30pin iPhone media adapter from BMW and iPhone 6 plus so I'll confirm if it works or doesn't work tomorrow. It all depends if the BMW thinks the receiver is an iPod.

imported

Post by imported » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:10 pm

Bad news, none of it works.

No way to use Spotify through the car without ConnectedDrive.

awwalker

Post by awwalker » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:33 pm

thanks for trying it, looks like I will have to just plug it in the aux and just go with a playlist!
20i msport auto,

A1GSS

Post by A1GSS » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:00 pm

What about the Intravee? Not BT I know but might be better than the Aux?

http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/intravee.html
Graham.

2011 Z4 23i sDrive Space Grey / Coral Red

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:07 pm

A1GSS wrote:What about the Intravee? Not BT I know but might be better than the Aux?

http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/intravee.html
Intravee only suitable for early 2009 E89's IIRC.
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

th30d0r3

Post by th30d0r3 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:51 pm

There is a media cradle that allows you to stream spotify to your car. I have one and I use an old Iphone for that. the only downside for you is I'm not sure if that works for Pro headunit.
Other alternative is to swap in the newer bluetooth module from eBay, but I'm not sure how that will operate without iDrive.
I guess the whole, Bluetooth to AUX dongle and mount the phone on the dash is your only option for now.
Don't like my red stripes...? Then don't look at them...

stereohype

Post by stereohype » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:39 pm

I've just spent all evening on the web trying to figure out how i might control Spotify on my android phone via the car controls and the sh***y "pro" head unit (no idrive) and my conclusion is that no you can't :(
(If someone can prove me wrong I'd be super happy)

So that leaves the above suggestion of controlling it via the phone on dash and a bluetooth aux in dongle.

So my question is what is a good quality example I can buy? I see tones of dongles for 5-10 quid on ebay and amazon but they always seem to have mixed reviews. I don't mind paying a bit more for quality and reliability.