Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
stuartinzg

Re: Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by stuartinzg » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:21 pm

I desperately want this done - but I'll let BMW here do it because I don't want to b0rk it as it's under warranty ... can't believe the previous owner ticked comfort access but not this!
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:50 pm

yes, its a better option - but I only got cloth seats in mine (poverty spec as I see someone else called it!).

Currently I'm mid fitting. the unit is in, took about 30 minutes max, but the coding is not so easy as I found out the hard way!
I got the cable/software from ebay, but couldn't install it on Windows 10 so I had to use an old laptop. I can use INPA (which doesn't appear to have any E89 profiles, so you "try" E90 - scary! :thumbsdown: ), and NCSExpert (which does have e89 data, but is probably the worst user interface ever :thumbsdown: ) - and I've managed to code the car with the $544 cruise control. :D

More detailed instructions are on the bimmer forums, (which Petrolhead did ask for quite a bit of help I see!).
http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23933

Download the guides.
Nicely shown for the Z4 with screenshots showing the modules CRM and FRM/NFRM, which I hadn't seen anywhere else.

I've still got exactly the same messages from the car that he did (basically DCS and tyres warnings) that petrolhead got, but it appears I need to use DIS to calibrate the steering angle sensor. Unfortunately the VM used to run DIS (which is at least in English!) couldn't talk to the car because of a problem with windows XP . I've spent ages trying to fix that :headbang: and eventually had to re-install XP from scratch, which hopefully will work later today! I'll update the thread with my findings later.
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:18 am

Well all the software is working now, but I still have the lights on the dash despite using DIF to recalibrate the steering angle sensor (as per Rob the Vikings post above).

So hopefully someone can clarify if I have the right part - I'm not sure how to read realoem - could anyone assist?

I purchased the steering switches off ebay with part number 61319123049, my chassis number is E156403. I thought this would fit, but I am not quite sure how to read it on realoem - now that I look in detail it appears this part has auto wipers, which my car doesn't. Hopefully they are compatible but maybe that's why I still have the error?

Its becoming annoying now and I might have to go cap in hand to the independent garage who will tell me I was wrong all along!

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:26 am

This is what I was told to do:

Use Tool32:

launch tool32
choose load SGBD
select dtc module ( DSC_87.PRG)
then find: lenkwinkel dsc abgleichen
double click this and it will take around 3 seconds to complete
job done

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:51 pm

Thanks Petrolhead. I tried that (both with DSC_89 and DSC_87), and it clears briefly, but then comes straight back. It does seem there are a few ways to do this - I've tried with DIS as well (which takes a long time to follow the steps).

I've only added $544 to the modules, not anything else (I know you tried $540 first). Do I need to add the digital speed indicator? I had assumed I didn't need to, so that's the only thing (apart from a part incompatibility), that I can think of.

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:38 pm

No re the speed indicator, that should show by default.

Not sure what else to try however if I were you I would register on the BabyBMW forum, the guy there was very helpful

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:02 pm

thanks, I've done that. we'll see what comes back and post an update. I don't really want to give in and pay for someone to do it, but its looking more likely!

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:57 am

Ok, I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is. Petrolhead had the same problem (you can see it in the many pages of the rob the Viking post I showed earlier). When you've finished coding CAS and FRM using the fa_write option, you exit NCS Expert and then go back into the tool again to "sg_codieren" the DSC module. I tried doing this but I'm not sure the instructions are correct, and when I did nothing happened, no flashing lights on the dash and it took 0 seconds. I think this is because the setup of NCS expert is different and its reading an empty fsw_psw.man file in the work folder - hence nothing happens. I'm going to rename the file and try that bit again. It looks like Petrolhead came across this, but he got an error, and then on other peoples instructions only coded the DSC and KOMBI modules (I'm not sure I can see these on a list though, but I'll give it a go tomorrow). Once I've done this I hope that I can then use tools32 to clear the steering sensor, and hopefully the part is compatible!

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:44 am

Well that did it - I now have working cruise control :D

So if anyone else is having a similar problem here's a summary of the key points that aren't described in detail in the "cruise control" rob the Viking document (Part 2).

Code the CAS and FRM modules using "FA_WRITE" in NCS Expert. When you get to the part where you have to "Now we need to tell the DSC system and the rest of the modules that we have installed the retrofit", the descriptions get rather more vague. Here's what I had to do.

Restart NCS expert as before, load profile, f1, f3, choose chassis/module (cas), back. That should have written the full car trace file fsw_psw.trc‏ to the ncsexpert/work folder. I renamed my fsw_psw.trc‏ file to .man (because the man file was empty - that was the problem all along).

Following the instructions again - the job was already SG_CODEIREN, the guide says push "F4 process car" and wait. For a start its F3, not F4, I wasn't sure which was right but it is F3 "process car", then F1 "code car" - this isn't mentioned in the guide at all. Then you have to wait while the coding runs which takes a little while. Lights and gongs go off, and eventually I got an error in CABD, (as I have seen others get), but this seems to be ok (so far). Other's have said to code the DSC unit rather than the whole car, but I'm not sure how to select it individually. The whole NCS Expert is very user unfriendly (and I'm no expert!). I have no idea what really is going on, it was just trial and (mainly) error. :headbang:

The guide then says to run DIS to reset the steering angle sensor , this took me ages because DIS runs on a VM and I couldn't set the VMware network properties so I had to reinstall XP. Plus DIS takes a long time to actually get to the bit to reset it (and its very vague in the guide on what to do). Dont do that - as other people have said, just use Tools32, load the module (DSC_89 in my case), and then double click the 'lenkwinkel_dsc_abgleichen' (quite a way down in the first list box). the lights WILL GO OFF AND STAY OFF!. :thumbsup:

I now can see the cruise speed in the window. I didn't make any changes to anything else.

vld

Post by vld » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:35 pm

Perhaps you guys can help me find the component for my car. This is the list of parts from realoem: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=61_2434
I do not have any special option (no heating, no rain sensor, etc).
Perhaps 61319123049 should work for me as well, but couldn't find any on ebay. There are plenty like this one instead: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E93-E92-E ... XQLw1R05OG

P.S. I have a friend working at a BMW service which should be able to help me with the coding.
(Sweden) E89 2012 20i Melbourne Red, Smart-top, Android display, 2.8i mapped, Retrofitted: cup holder and cruise control

vld

Post by vld » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:01 pm

Does it make a difference not having the icon with the dial and light bulb? Here's how my switch looks like: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18sW8J6 ... sp=sharing
(Sweden) E89 2012 20i Melbourne Red, Smart-top, Android display, 2.8i mapped, Retrofitted: cup holder and cruise control

Andyarmra

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Andyarmra » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:10 pm

Very interesting read through this. I've just bought a 2011 Z4 without cruise.

I went to my BMW dealership the other day to ask how much it would cost to get cruise fitted retrospectively and the parts guy said "you can't fit cruise because all BMW's are made individually therefore you'd have to completely rewire the car. If it could be done, it would cost you thousands, therefore not worth the hassle" End of quote. I somehow think he may well be telling porkies!

Maybe I'll go to another dealership to see what they have to say.
2011 Deep Sea Blue sDrive30i Z4 Highline, 19" 326 Double spoke, M sport, Cream Leather, F & R PDC, Heated Seats, pro nav and SmartTop. Previous cars: 3.0 V6 A4 Audi Quattro and Nissan 200 SX S14a touring. :driving:

clarker63

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by clarker63 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:10 pm

I wouldn't go to a dealership, they'd charge too much because of the parts and labour. Despite the fun I had it isn't too bad especially with the detailed instructions I mention, and then the final bit I added to correct the vagueness about how to code it to the car. Finding the right part seems to be a bit of black art, depending upon your car configuration.

Andyarmra

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Andyarmra » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi all,

I'm thinking about fitting cruise to my 2011 3.0 Z4. I think I can get the stalk assembly and column cover but when it comes to the wiring (if needed) and software part, I could do with some help. :poke: Any serious advice appreciated.

Thanks. :thumbsup:
2011 Deep Sea Blue sDrive30i Z4 Highline, 19" 326 Double spoke, M sport, Cream Leather, F & R PDC, Heated Seats, pro nav and SmartTop. Previous cars: 3.0 V6 A4 Audi Quattro and Nissan 200 SX S14a touring. :driving:

R.E92

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by R.E92 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:13 pm

The coding should be a lot easier using ISTA-P. Clarker was using DIS which is antiquated in comparison.

ISTA-P should do all the coding and calibrating for you in a few clicks. You can get ISTA-P pre-loaded onto a virtual machine along with Tool32 and NCSExpert from the E90post coding section.
I was tempted to retrofit cruise just for fun but the hardware came to £300. Can't quite justify spending that on something I never used on my previous car.

I spent one afternoon coding my car to allow DVD playback while driving but since doing so I've never used it. It's a nice challenge!