Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Servicing cost discrepancy

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Servicing cost discrepancy

Post by Angie4m » Tue May 12, 2015 9:07 pm

I always supply my own oil and ask for what's left back. Last time I checked the boot and it wasn't in there so had to go back in and get it. Thought I might need it for a top up, but a neighbour has their oil light come on and it went to them instead.
Last edited by Angie4m on Tue May 12, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Raj_UK

Post by Raj_UK » Tue May 12, 2015 9:08 pm

TitanTim wrote:You could always take it to Halfords or Kwik Fit if baulking at Dealer costs, so long as they are VAT registered. I still take the Z3 into my BMW dealer for its MOT and Service, it works out a little more expensive than an indi around 6o quid but I'm happy to pay that for the stamp, coffee and telly :)

Tim.
Not to mention value added when reselling (if you ever plan to sell!!). Dealer history means a lot to some people.
Z4less :?

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue May 12, 2015 9:15 pm

Raj_UK wrote:
TitanTim wrote:You could always take it to Halfords or Kwik Fit if baulking at Dealer costs, so long as they are VAT registered. I still take the Z3 into my BMW dealer for its MOT and Service, it works out a little more expensive than an indi around 6o quid but I'm happy to pay that for the stamp, coffee and telly :)

Tim.
Not to mention value added when reselling (if you ever plan to sell!!). Dealer history means a lot to some people.
Not sure it adds any value + if youve bought from a dealer then you have already paid the premium so unlikely to benefit
It does make a car more saleable though although not convinced it guarentees a better maintained vehicle than one serviced by indy:wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Raj_UK

Post by Raj_UK » Tue May 12, 2015 9:28 pm

mr wilks wrote:
Not sure it adds any value + if youve bought from a dealer then you have already paid the premium so unlikely to benefit
It does make a car more saleable though although not convinced it guarentees a better maintained vehicle than one serviced by indy:wink:
Yep. Come selling time is what I was referring too. I don't think dealer history has any impact on the health of a car. I had a mini cooper s from new with full dealer history and maintenance for 6 years, including two replacement timing chains and and tensioners. The tensioner still broke on 45k, with some big piston valve collisions! Was it the dealers fault? Would it have happened anyway? Who knows!

What I do know is that when I sold it it sold within two hours of being advertised. They didn't care what had happened to the car. Just the fact it had been repaired at BMW.
Z4less :?

EdButler

Post by EdButler » Tue May 12, 2015 9:30 pm

I'd personally never EVER take my car to a dealer. They just dont even do the little things for the exorbitant prices.

When i do interim services on my 3.0i, the prices are approx as follows and it takes me ~30 minutes including a cuppa waiting for oil to drain:
£25 for 6.5L of 5w30 Oil (GM Dexos2)
£5 Oil Filter
£8 Pollen Filter
£10 Air Filter

Add on 20 mins for plugs:
£6 each for Bosch = £36

Add on another 45 Minutes for a full brake bleed (i like to take the wheels off)
£10 DOT 4.1 Brake Fluid

I go to a small garage for my official services/stamps, and they always do the little and quick but important things like grease brake lines, Grease caliper carriers, lubricate drums, lubricate locks. They certainly aren't on BMW's schedule.

Its the buyers loss if they don't see BMW stamps in my book. But i sleep at night knowing ive saved £££'s and the oil comes out virtually the same colour it went in!

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Tue May 12, 2015 9:42 pm

Good for you but if you have a warranty it should be maintained within BMW spec otherwise it's invalidated. By not using a BMW dealer or a local indy, doesn't have to be a BMW speciality but they do need to be VAT registered to carry out there work then no warranty. Some people prefer to use BMW for their servicing and I note that Matt hasn't suggested that he will be looking to go elsewhere for this so not. And he won't be doing it himself especially not the brakes unless he has diagnostics to run the ABS pump.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Tue May 12, 2015 9:45 pm

For me a nice chat with the BMW service girls over a cappucino is worth it than staring at a sweaty indi's bum crack :?

Tim.

Bradders75

Post by Bradders75 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:53 pm

John002 wrote:
Bradders75 wrote:Maybe on an E89 but I've never paid more than £299 from a main dealer and that was for an Inspection II.

Tip for the OP - ask if you can supply your own oil as that should save you at least £60 on a 6 cylinder. Most dealers will be happy to let you do this.

..and the oil goes straight in the boot of the techs car
Yeah of course it does...and let's say in the rare event that a tech decides to risk his job by stealing a few litres of customer oil rather than the stacks of stuff they have in drums, is the £60 saving lost? No.
2003 Z4 3.0i SE | nav / cruise / PDC / bluetooth / ellipsoids / xenons / clear indicators / m-sport seats / m-sport MFSW / ZHP / intravee |

2014 F56 MINI Cooper S | for bends |

2016 F20 M135i | for straights |

Bradders75

Post by Bradders75 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:06 pm

It's a boring circular argument but of course money can be saved doing DIY servicing or using an Indy. :roll: Freedom of choice is great and neither approach is wrong.

Personally, since having both Vauxhall and Honda carry out several thousand pounds of repairs for me on cars well out of warranty (cambelt and gearbox issues), I've felt more comfortable with keeping a main dealer history on any decent car I own. The chance of goodwill support is worth it to me plus the ease of resale.
2003 Z4 3.0i SE | nav / cruise / PDC / bluetooth / ellipsoids / xenons / clear indicators / m-sport seats / m-sport MFSW / ZHP / intravee |

2014 F56 MINI Cooper S | for bends |

2016 F20 M135i | for straights |

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Tue May 12, 2015 10:16 pm

TitanTim wrote:For me a nice chat with the BMW service girls over a cappucino is worth it than staring at a sweaty indi's bum crack :?

Tim.
:sick2: on both counts :rofl: I've yet to find a service girl or boy for that matter with any decent 'chat' or even some eye candy. At least I get decent chat from an Indy and usually get to have a good look at what's going on and checking things myself. I'm like that, just wander into the garage but I'm usually invited.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed May 13, 2015 8:47 am

No you're not grumpy John002, it's how it is I'm afraid, I've worked in a Ford dealership many moons ago, and let a dealer do a service on an MR2 to keep the stamps up, gearbox oil not done, oil filter not changed etc etc, I don't trust anyone basically. Up until this 35is I've done all my own servicing and will continue to do interim services on this to make sure all the little bits like using copper grease where needed, brake pipe greasing, an mot failure favourite, brake pads, oil changes, fluids etc are done, and then just have to take it on the chin and pay the dealer to 'service' it just to get the book stamped, it's an evil you have to put up with if you want a car of this nature. At least I'll have peace of mind knowing that that it's done, as I trust myself a lot more than a dealer.

Actually yeah reading that back I'm a grumpy fecker too..!
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

John002

Post by John002 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:23 pm

john-e89 wrote:No you're not grumpy John002, it's how it is I'm afraid, I've worked in a Ford dealership many moons ago, and let a dealer do a service on an MR2 to keep the stamps up, gearbox oil not done, oil filter not changed etc etc, I don't trust anyone basically. Up until this 35is I've done all my own servicing and will continue to do interim services on this to make sure all the little bits like using copper grease where needed, brake pipe greasing, an mot failure favourite, brake pads, oil changes, fluids etc are done, and then just have to take it on the chin and pay the dealer to 'service' it just to get the book stamped, it's an evil you have to put up with if you want a car of this nature. At least I'll have peace of mind knowing that that it's done, as I trust myself a lot more than a dealer.

Actually yeah reading that back I'm a grumpy fecker too..!

Haha, quick delete it like I did nobody will know...we must maintain the aura of trust surrounding dealerships. (or what's left of it)

Must be a Ford thing, that's where I worked also. Maybe that's why we're grumpy?
3.0si Sapphire Black Coupe

matthurley

Post by matthurley » Wed May 13, 2015 5:16 pm

Well it's been a whole day since I emailed the Stealer with their price discrepancy and they haven't bothered coming back to me

In the meantime I have had a quote of £402 from a local Indie for the same work

Maybe I'll contact BMW UK and have a winge
Z4 30i Sdrive Space Grey/ Coral Red

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed May 13, 2015 7:21 pm

matthurley wrote:Well it's been a whole day since I emailed the Stealer with their price discrepancy and they haven't bothered coming back to me

In the meantime I have had a quote of £402 from a local Indie for the same work

Maybe I'll contact BMW UK and have a winge
Twitter mate. It's amazing how quickly you get a response when you tweet something. We went to look at Grey Paul, to look at Maserati GT turns out a Startstone company. The customer spaces were filled with porsches being taken off a loader so we had no where to park so Mike was like let's not bother and slightly annoyed. I mentioned it on Twitter and they were all over it like a tramp on chips.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed May 13, 2015 7:32 pm

Haha, quick delete it like I did nobody will know...we must maintain the aura of trust surrounding dealerships. (or what's left of it)

Must be a Ford thing, that's where I worked also. Maybe that's why we're grumpy?[/quote]

Ha! Nah i'm too set in my ways to care what folk think, we must stand up for grumpy rights!.. :lol:

Sorry for thread hi-jack Matt.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29