Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Upgrading from a F20 Sport to E89 23i M Sport Highline

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Upgrading from a F20 Sport to E89 23i M Sport Highline

Post by TitanTim » Sat May 09, 2015 11:30 am

R.E92 wrote:I had a F20 116d as a courtesy car for a couple of days recently and actually quite liked it. The ride was so much softer!

Might take you a while to readjust to the Z4 suspension. Even in comfort mode it's harsh.
Its the one thing I would like to try on the Z4 is one with Adaptive suspension and how it compares to my M135i which has it, albeight its also fitted with Michelin Supersports and no runflats. I could never go back to standard E89 M Sport Suspension with runflats which looking back was intolerable.

Tim.

Z4 IDM

Post by Z4 IDM » Sat May 09, 2015 12:31 pm

Z4 IDM wrote:Oh BTW, the 19" 326 alloys seem to be a bit prone to cracking from what I've read on here, but the dealership has to MOT the car before sale, presumably a crack on an alloy would be a fail?

Should I still make a point of checking the wheels before I drive it away? I could ask them to take them all off while I was there and have a look?
Just spoke to the dealer and told them when I pick it up I just want to see the wheels off the car quickly for my own peace of mind...protested a bit at first but agreed in the end :)
GONE: Sapphire Black 63' F20 116i Sport
ARRIVED: Sapphire Black 61' E89 23i M Sport Highline Special Edition :D

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Sat May 09, 2015 2:23 pm

TitanTim wrote:
R.E92 wrote:I had a F20 116d as a courtesy car for a couple of days recently and actually quite liked it. The ride was so much softer!

Might take you a while to readjust to the Z4 suspension. Even in comfort mode it's harsh.
Its the one thing I would like to try on the Z4 is one with Adaptive suspension and how it compares to my M135i which has it, albeight its also fitted with Michelin Supersports and no runflats. I could never go back to standard E89 M Sport Suspension with runflats which looking back was intolerable.

Tim.
I came from an E92 with 18" wheels on sport suspension without runflat tyres. My E89 has 19" wheels with adaptive suspension and non runflat tyres.

In comfort mode the E89 is more bouncy than the E92 but just as harsh. In sport the only thing that really changes is the dampening rate which helps the car settle after bumps and makes it feel less bouncy, the harshness is still there.

I've never driven anything more sporty than the E89 so I can't compare against the E85/86 and the Porsche offerings but I feel the reason why the E89 has such a harsh ride is down to the height of the car and its low suspension travel.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sat May 09, 2015 4:14 pm

Z4 IDM wrote:
Z4 IDM wrote:Oh BTW, the 19" 326 alloys seem to be a bit prone to cracking from what I've read on here, but the dealership has to MOT the car before sale, presumably a crack on an alloy would be a fail?

Should I still make a point of checking the wheels before I drive it away? I could ask them to take them all off while I was there and have a look?
Just spoke to the dealer and told them when I pick it up I just want to see the wheels off the car quickly for my own peace of mind...protested a bit at first but agreed in the end :)
Good man. At least that way you know, they know and it saves any hassle if you do get home to find an issue trying to prove it was like that when you picked it up. I'm sure it will all be fine :driving:
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat May 09, 2015 11:15 pm

Z4 IDM wrote:

You should also get the runout test done while the wheels are off. I would record the results as well.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Z4 IDM

Post by Z4 IDM » Sun May 10, 2015 12:55 am

ronk wrote:
Z4 IDM wrote:

You should also get the runout test done while the wheels are off. I would record the results as well.
Errr...the what now?

Is that % deviance from roundness or something?

ruggedscot

Post by ruggedscot » Sun May 10, 2015 4:54 pm

Alloys - this is a sore point....

You do need to get them off of the car and check them. I have the 296 alloy wheel and have had to replace both back wheels. I think the new wheel has a different design as these have held up so far and have not let me down - plus Im running non run flats on the back. If you dont get them checked and they have an issue then you will struggle to get the wheels replaced - and were talking over 400 a pop. the guarantee also will very likely not cover the wheel. The dealer may be positive and helpful but BMW themselves well they know if the issues with the wheels and have gotten fed up replacing so will avoid it if they can.

The Z is a great car and its got the toys - I miss not having cruise n mine but the sat nav and everything else is great and of course the driving environment is special. Its not a run of the mill car - its a coupe convertible and it is different. The driving experiance your over the rear wheels and with a long bonnet..... it is lovely.

Enjoy the car and know that your in something different.
2009 Z4 23Sdrive heated red leather satellite navigation

Z4 IDM

Post by Z4 IDM » Sun May 10, 2015 6:47 pm

ruggedscot wrote:Alloys - this is a sore point....

You do need to get them off of the car and check them. I have the 296 alloy wheel and have had to replace both back wheels. I think the new wheel has a different design as these have held up so far and have not let me down - plus Im running non run flats on the back. If you dont get them checked and they have an issue then you will struggle to get the wheels replaced - and were talking over 400 a pop. the guarantee also will very likely not cover the wheel. The dealer may be positive and helpful but BMW themselves well they know if the issues with the wheels and have gotten fed up replacing so will avoid it if they can.

The Z is a great car and its got the toys - I miss not having cruise n mine but the sat nav and everything else is great and of course the driving environment is special. Its not a run of the mill car - its a coupe convertible and it is different. The driving experiance your over the rear wheels and with a long bonnet..... it is lovely.

Enjoy the car and know that your in something different.
Thanks, can't wait to pick it up!

Yeah I definitely will give them a good look over, which reminds me, are cracks pretty obvious if there are any? I'm assuming I'm looking for cracks in the inner lip of the wheel?

...Also - If I wanted to sell them pretty much straight away so I could maybe swap out to the 18" 325's with non-RFT (would prefer that from a ride perspective too) how much might I be able to get for them? I was thinking around 2K (incl. tyres) then that would more than cover the cost of buying the 325s...

Z4 IDM

Post by Z4 IDM » Thu May 14, 2015 10:13 pm

:D GOT IT! :D

Will upload more photos in a bit.

Wheels are all in mint condition, plenty of tread left on the tyres and the rest of the car is immaculate.

Took this afternoon off, mostly spent driving in the peak district with a big stupid grin on my face and my fuel economy in the late teens...the sound with the hood down - incredible! Really glad I went for the six pot engine!

Now just familiarising myself with the iDrive, there's a lot of stuff on there my old F20 didn't have - DVD playback is pretty cool!

Also got quoted over 2 grand to have the bike rack fitted, which both me and the dealer had a good chuckle about, will continue to consider other options I think...

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Fri May 15, 2015 7:14 am

Fab mate. Looks ace! I do like them in black just know how much of a PITA they are to keep clean!
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri May 15, 2015 8:36 am

Angie4m wrote:Fab mate. Looks ace! I do like them in black just know how much of a PITA they are to keep clean!
Oh do you now, never posted any comments on mine though did you..eh..madam.. :poke:

Car looks fab z4 idm, great blend of power and not daft running costs, great choice. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri May 15, 2015 9:00 am

We have the same car and love it.
Just get used to washing it every week to keep it looking good.
Apart from the wheels and the idrive I wonder what else is different between ours and the highline edition.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Z4 IDM

Post by Z4 IDM » Fri May 15, 2015 9:52 am

Nictrix wrote:We have the same car and love it.
Just get used to washing it every week to keep it looking good.
Apart from the wheels and the idrive I wonder what else is different between ours and the highline edition.
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/united-k ... tId=154191

:thumbsup:

mattwaltersz4m

Post by mattwaltersz4m » Fri May 15, 2015 10:02 am

Z4 IDM wrote::D GOT IT! :D
Looks really nice and I am thinking of selling my M to get your model.
Z4MR Carbon

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri May 15, 2015 10:29 am

So by the looks of it wheels, grills, connected drive and satnav. possibly the leather too.
Ours has bluetooth, a phone cradle (useless unless you buy the proper adapter and phone) and usb slot for music which according to that brochure is additional equipment.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)