Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Re-fitting run flats?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Re-fitting run flats?

Post by john-e89 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:33 am

Morning, does anybody know if you can take a run flat tyre off and then re-fit it for use, or does it stretch being taken off and knacker it?

Thanks in advance.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

R.E92

Re: Re-fitting run flats?

Post by R.E92 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:27 am

You can do it. They are just harder to remove and to fit because of the rigidity.

There's a strong market out there for used BMW OEM run-flats with barely legal amounts of tread. A lot of people will switch to standard tyres but be forced to return to run-flats when their lease term is up or when they want to part-ex into a main dealer.

I sold a pair of knackered run-flats for £50 to a forum member who just fitted them at the end of his 3yr lease.

dario

Post by dario » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:40 am

I put a new set of RFT 19's in the front of mine last month and watched the tyre fitter struggle for a long time to break the bead (very low profile tyres) after giving me billy big balls on how good his machine was lol.

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:46 am

It's why lots of places don't want to do puncture repairs because they are worried they will damage the alloy

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:42 pm

Thanks chaps, at least it can be done. Ta muchly.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

InvisibleName

Post by InvisibleName » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:43 pm

Stark wrote:It's why lots of places don't want to do puncture repairs because they are worried they will damage the alloy
You're partly correct, but the main driver to a tyre centre not doing a repair to a RFT, is whether the tyre manufacturer actual permits repairs - many don't!
28i M Sport / auto / Mineral Grey - Walnut leather

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:35 pm

I'm sorry it's more down to the repair centre these days. ATS do but many others don't

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:36 pm

I noticed my alloy wheels had been damaged by the wheel changers machine gripping the alloys so tight the teeth had dug into the alloy damaging the paint finish.
This allowed corrosion to set in and lift the paint..Rubbish quality alloy wheels, I expected better.
My last car a 10 year old MGTF, the wheels were spotless.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:29 pm

flybobbie wrote:I noticed my alloy wheels had been damaged by the wheel changers machine gripping the alloys so tight the teeth had dug into the alloy damaging the paint finish.
This allowed corrosion to set in and lift the paint..Rubbish quality alloy wheels, I expected better.
My last car a 10 year old MGTF, the wheels were spotless.
Heck, which rims are those flybobbie? I'm thinking changing tyres could be a dealer only job as I'm sure they don't damage the rims.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:56 am

290's. The six dots appear four times around rim.

E89_Gaz

Post by E89_Gaz » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:58 am

Dealers do the same amount of damage, I have exactly the same marks from Sytner Leicester. It isn't overly obvious initially but after a couple of years, this is the result. :(

Has anyone managed to get a successful refurb on a 296? The few I have seen have been awful due to the diamond cut tapered spokes on the front edge.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:34 am

E89_Gaz wrote:Dealers do the same amount of damage, I have exactly the same marks from Sytner Leicester. It isn't overly obvious initially but after a couple of years, this is the result. :(

Has anyone managed to get a successful refurb on a 296? The few I have seen have been awful due to the diamond cut tapered spokes on the front edge.
Hmm that's not what I want to hear Gaz, and thinking about it some farm tyre fitting out to the nearest kwik crap, ATS whoever. Surely someone can change them without damaging them, they're put on from new without a mark so it can be done.

Funny you should mention 296 re-furb, I wasn't going to admit this on here but I took all the wheels off last w'end to clean the arches etc and had a cloth inside the socket to protect the bolt edges and because the cloth covered some of the extension bar I stupidly nudged a rim and put a small compression ding in it, you really have to look to see it but it's driving me crazy as the rest of the car is un-marked. I rang Sytners after a word with Mr Wilks asking if they could re-furb to as new and the sticking point was the polished spoke face you mention, soooo getting a price on a new rim today, it's overkill and i'm mega pissed at myself but I don't want 3 new rims and a re-furb, it'll stick out like a sore thumb. How many re-furb places have you rung? Have they said they can't re-furb them?
I might try a few before a new rim just to be certain, if you try some let me know what they say please and vice versa.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

shackman

Post by shackman » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:05 pm

The rim damage seems to occur on all alloy rims. On my 2013 Tacoma, the rims have similar damage from reversing the stock Goodrich tires to the blackwall side when almost new. I think the tire guys have machines made for steel rims.
2016 E89 sDrive 28i, Deep Sea Blue, M sport, Premium sound, Nav system, heated seats

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:09 pm

My local ATS were great at taking my tyres on/off, they used heavy duty cloths too, to avoid any scratches or dings

lux
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lux » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:25 pm

When I had my wheels re-coloured they took the tyres off and then fitted the old fronts and new rears back on without any marks on the wheels at all.
I also had a puncture repaired a couple of weeks ago, no problems there too. Although I did tell the guy to be extra careful and stood over him watching!!
So one of my front tyres has now been take off twice and refitted without any issues.
981 Cayman Agate Grey