Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Z4 styling options

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
James Junior

E89 Z4 styling options

Post by James Junior » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:53 am

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been covered before - I couldn't find much under the search facility.

I am in the market for a 35is and have already been scouring pics online to see what goodies are available to toughen it up a bit and give it some more visual attitude.

Hoping people can give me some direction, as I am not familiar with the E89 or who the forum recommended suppliers are for parts and mods.

I am on the lookout for a grey or red car ideally, and so far my plan is to have the front centre panel in the 'M' bumper and the rear diffuser wrapped in black, with matching black kidney grills. Not exactly revolutionary, but looks great to my eye. I will also add some different 19" wheels to make it stand out and thinking of some sort of modern day alternative to CSLs.

I have seen the following front splitter and kick-plates which look good:

Whilst this rear lip spoiler also caught my eye - subtle but effective:

Does anyone know what parts these are and where they can be sourced from in UK at a reasonable price? I found one website but the jokers wanted over £1k for the boot lid spoiler alone! I seem to remember a thread from a few years back with a Valencia Orange E89 Z4 that someone had fabricated some lip spoilers for and was taking to market. Does anyone remember or have a link to the thread? I seem to remember it having some lovely pictures and the car looked great.

If anyone knows of any other nice subtle body styling modifications and where to source them from, I would be interested to see what you have found.

You know you have it bad when you are shopping for mods for a car you haven't even bought yet. Someone hurry up and sell me your 35is - I want to get started!

Eibachs|Bilstein B8s|Powerflex front bushes|M Sport seat upgrade|Stubby|Debadged|19" CSL reps|Toyo Proxes

Luck is the residue of opportunity and design...

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: E89 Z4 styling options

Post by Maniac » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:01 am

Most body parts for the e89 are very very expensive. Mainly due to the lack of competition but also because there's little demand. One chap on here fitted an entire bodykit which looked from a distance very good indeed, though he admitted himself that some of the panels weren't a great fit. You'll have to do a quick search on that if you want to know more.

I'd start with the idea of some nice wheels, lowering the car on a good coilover kit and then seeing what else you want to do from there.

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:37 am

Unfortunately, as mentioned above, you'll struggle for mods and especially at a decent price. I've been looking for a lip spoiler since I bought mine, to no gain.

I can't even find a decent induction kit for a reasonable price. Seems there is no demand for any mods out there. I did manage to get a carbon fibre rear lower bumper insert from a member on here, but things like that are very few and far between. A search on eBay will bring up some carne front splitter wings from China, but obviously you can't guarantee the quality.

Let me know if you find anything.
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

James Junior

Post by James Junior » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:42 pm

Thanks for your input guys, I have been doing some more searching online and there is virtually nothing for sale in the UK. Pretty much the only parts I can find are carbon fibre pieces shipped from the US at insane prices ($2,000 - $4,000 for a lip spoiler anyone???).

If I want a lip and bootlid spoiler, I don't give damn about them being carbon fibre, I just want them to be a good quality item that fits well, that is fairly priced, ready to deliver to my bodyshop for painting and fitting.

I suppose a relatively high cost and softer nature of the E89 means that there isn't much demand from owners for mods. Surely there is a gap in the market here however?

Eibachs|Bilstein B8s|Powerflex front bushes|M Sport seat upgrade|Stubby|Debadged|19" CSL reps|Toyo Proxes

alex

Post by alex » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:02 pm

You last sentence probably hits it on the head - people tend not to buy the E89 with (significant) modding in mind. I guess there could be a potential gap in the market but my guess would be there isn't enough demand to kick start a mod scene (yet).
Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better
35iS - Space grey, red leather and 19" 326Ms - now gone to a fellow forum member

envy

Post by envy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:59 pm

i modified my 35is to be a little different but prefer it standard so will be going back soon

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:06 pm

Unfortunately the owners of most of the E89's are not very adventurous when it's comes to the styling :poke: :poke: :poke:

Have seen the odd owner put a funky air freshener in but that's about it..

Need to wait until us poor folk get our hands on them :wink:
A Dirty M///

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:24 pm

718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:50 pm

I would avoid buying anything from MStyle. I've heard plenty of bad stories about their workmanship and customer service!

Ordering parts from the US might be the best option. Just have to swallow the import duties.

James Junior

Post by James Junior » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:22 pm

Nice as it is, £1,400 for a lip spoiler? :o

I don't care what its made of, that is crazy money.

I don't understand why the producers don't make a mold and do a non-carbon one for a realistic price. Surely they would sell a fair few.

I saw that same piece advertised for €4,000 on some US websites. Insanity.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:49 pm

There was a chap on here some time ago that made his own trims, red e89.

It looked quite good on the pics. Perhaps a route to take if you're on a budget? I'm sure someone will remember their nickname and you can then do a search to see what it looked like.

.. found it, it was 'r1andy'. I think he had the 3D Design carbon front spoiler, which looked good. Then made matching side lips than ran under the car in MDF and wrap, or he might have used that as a mould to make carbon ones, I can't remember. In any event, he did a good job. Sold it all not too long after sadly.

Wyldie85

Post by Wyldie85 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:01 pm

I was looking for the thread about the red E89 that had been modified. It looked good but it wasn't off the shelf parts and I think he made them himself.
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

James Junior

Post by James Junior » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks guys - I thought I remembered something like that. Must have been red not Valencia orange.

Will have a look for the original thread.

KERMIT1970

Post by KERMIT1970 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:01 pm

Cars: 2016 M4 vert YMB & X3m Comp. E30 325i Sport. Z3M

Gone
: 2014 z4 35is melbourne red & black leather
: 335d M sport Coupe Black with red leather
: z4 Coupe 3.0 si Red with Black Leather 18" CSL`s
: z3 2.2 sport

James Junior

Post by James Junior » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:17 pm

KERMIT1970 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=23&t=47261&hilit=E89+carbon+fibre
Here's r1andy post :thumbsup:
Hi Kermit,

Thanks for reposting, yep that was definitely the thread I was thinking of.

Such a shame he didn't keep making the parts - I bet we could have rounded up a number of owners for a group buy.

They look fantastic.