Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First time in a dealer not very helpful..

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Mad Professor

Re: First time in a dealer nit very helpful..

Post by Mad Professor » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:21 pm

Def grass him up to his manager and tell them you're buying elsewhere .
I did that recently when I was looking for a car for SWMBO . The manager I know well who previously sold me a car was away on holiday and his deputy clearly wasn't interested . So when the manager came back I told him about what happened and he was very pissed off that his salesman let me walk out without doing the deal ,especially when I told him I had bought the same car from another dealer .
If I'm taking the time out to go to see a dealer and potentially spend a lot of money then I demand to be treated with respect and courtesy . That's the least they can do IMHO. In my experience I tend to get more attention when buying a budget end car than a high end car . Maybe that's because I usually look like a scruff and don't have a posh accent . Then there is the nonesense about coming back to make an appointment to test drive a car .Now I might make an appointment to see a lawyer or an accountant or a doctor but certainly not a car saleseman .
Last edited by Mad Professor on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

Mobeer

Re: First time in a dealer nit very helpful..

Post by Mobeer » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:13 pm

I feel your pain. Have had the same experience before at dealers - they seem to judge for themselves in an instant whether you are a serious buyer or not, then ignore you if they decide you are a time waster. I remember visiting one (now closed) BMW dealer twice; first time on the weekend in shorts, utterly ignored. Second time after work in a suit with my laptop bag, and they bent over backwards to help.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Re: First time in a dealer not very helpful..

Post by dr_john » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 am

Roy,

Go to the BMW corporate website and explain your experience with Sandal. I did that once with a tardy main dealer, it brought results!

:thumbsup:
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

RedLine

Post by RedLine » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:57 pm

I found Merc dealers just as poor. Went in on a cash sale. They didn't like the car I arrived in so no one wanted to talk to me. I left and have never graced any Mercedes forecourt again. Their loss.

BMW dealers I found are mixed. Audi - again mixed. Have found Coventry LR very good. Not just sales but service too. Its a delight to have the Service Receptionists take your money off you. Always smiles and friendly and do their best for you. They get to know their customers even if you go in once a year.

I found BMW Leicester were somewhat disinterested when we were looking for a Z4. They didn't get the concept that I was only looking even though there was a definite sale albeit a few weeks away. Coventry was completely the opposite (flowers too when my wife picked up the car), but, I've heard after-sales is completely reversed between the two.
It seems common across thar car sales sector. A self-employed neighbour wanted to extend the lease on his car for a month because he was simply too frantically busy to attend to it as it became due. He went in expecting a two minute conversation and getting an extension agreed. A white socks sales guy refused not knowing nor caring that he had been a regular returning customer for 20+ years. Despite suggestions he wouldn't go to the principal as the Sales manager was on holiday. He returned his car and sort another one elsewhere in a matter of two days. Not just a sale lost but a long term relationship destroyed for the sake of £300 and a bit of paperwork. By the time the SM called (who was mortified by what had happened) it was too late.

You would have thought that, considering the amount of money you're about to spend that dealer sales people would learn that the buyer deserves more respect. It pays off in both the short and long term.
Z4 3.0L SI SPORT (in Montego Blue and Champagne Leather)
Z4 20i SDrive Msport
Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE
Previous - BMW 118i Convertible : Audi A3 : Jaguar S-Type : Audi A4 2.5 TDI Avant

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:19 pm

We looked at a Mini some while ago - The lazy mare of a sale"person" didn't get off her lazy backside - She sat and payed one her bloody iPhone most of the time.

A Mercedes dealership where we looked at a new C class looked down his nose and more or less suggested I couldn't afford his car! - we had arrived dressed decently I'm my six months old D3

I still wait for a call from another Mercedes dealership

I made an enquiry about a Zed 4 from a dealership - I did eventually get a call but they were nine months late.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

stitchexp626

Post by stitchexp626 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:49 pm

I've used Sandals in Huddersfield to buy our last two cars and have a good experience both times.

Just shows how different dealers under the same name can be different...
2014 28i Valencia Orange with a black roof. Manual naturally...

rhys4

Post by rhys4 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:20 pm

I think part of the problem is that the manufacturers want large showrooms with lots of staff.Gone are the days of the small family run car business with just the one salesperson who had been there years.Every time I change one of our cars ,every 18 months or so we seem to find new faces in the show room.Ive bought 67 new cars,so I have lots of experience of dealing with dealers.The best for me is Porsche,followed by Mercedes,Audi,and bringing up the rear BMW.

techathy

Post by techathy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:48 pm

ronk wrote:A Mercedes dealership where we looked at a new C class looked down his nose and more or less suggested I couldn't afford his car! - we had arrived dressed decently I'm my six months old D3
At one dealership I arrived by bike, note there was undercover bike parking right by the front door to the dealership, & got this. As I was leaving someone made a comment about it looking very special... I may have mention it was 'only' £3.5k build daily rider & he should see my race bike in a rather loud voice. As I glanced over at the sales exec his jaw was on the floor :rofl:

EDIT: clarification - that's arrived by pedal cycle not a motorbike
Last edited by techathy on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current: '09 Lotus Evora Launch Edition
Previous: '13 BMW 120dx, '15 BMW z4 35iS

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:17 pm

Mere are def the worst in the business

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:37 pm

A pal of mine went to a Porsche dealer directly from work , he tells me he was dressed in tatty clothes and an old baseball cap.

His description was he was a rag bag, he arrived in his works van (no livery) - he got first class service and attention and collected a 911 style car a couple of weeks later.

Just as well they didn't pre- judge him!

Paul c

Post by Paul c » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:17 pm

Just bought my Cayman from Porsche got to say it was the best buying and delivery experience by far attention to detail make's you feel very special thing's like a full tank of petrol without asking nice little gift mine was a heavy Porsche wine stopper your name in script by your car in the showroom really happy with the experience of course you pay for it but life's to short :thumbsup:
2013 Z435i msport manual Glacier silver heated seats 326alloys comfort pack [ Gone ]
Porsche Cayman PDK 20in platinum alloys park control sound system + heated seats
Mini Cooper Countryman White black Roof and wheels Chilli Pack

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:33 pm

Sometimes it's little things that count. Like the welcome board at reception saying "Good morning Mr & Mrs K"
Costs them nothing but it make the customer feel better about the buying experience.

chasBMW

Post by chasBMW » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:01 pm

I have delt with the same dealer for 20 odd years and they have always been fine , before I bought first e89 I did go and look at the then current porsche cayman wasnt quite the exprience I expected , wouldnt go as far to say rude but he wasnt really interested in helping me bourne out by the fact he couldnt he couldnt give me a price for my e86 on the spot (ok it was sunday) but I actually had to chase him for price which turned out to be on low side and came with probally best if you sold vehicle yourself comment at which point I lost interest
Valencia Orange 35is now gone but well remembered now Porsche Boxster GTS