Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Subwoofer Resonance, worth soundproofing?&how to remove subs

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
billy_beemer

Subwoofer Resonance, worth soundproofing?&how to remove subs

Post by billy_beemer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:38 am

Hello Zers,

I've got the 11 speaker business hifi on my E89 and initially I thought it sounded a tad boxy.

I've found using an old classic iPod set to treble booster which I believe effectively reduces the 40/63/100 kHz ranges (you know to the left on your old hifi spectrum analyser) that I've kind of EQ'd out that problem and in general it sounds pretty good.

My issue now is with the rear subs, no matter where you've got the bass set, if you've got the top down and you crank it up they produce a lot of resonance and it sounds crappy. At first I thought the subs might be blown but I've popped the covers off and they look fine and listening to them cranked up while stationary its obvious the noise is trim and not the subs.......

I don't want to go down the road of swapping the subs as I want to stay OEM, keep the wattages as designed and not risk any amplifier problems etc.

I'm convinced the noise is resonance from the trim so I'm considering removing all the trim, popping the subs out and going for a bit of traditional dynamat in the small metal boxes to try and rid the problem, this leaves me with a few questions.....

- worth it ? I've seen some posts on custom jobs that suggest it would be worth while
- how do you get the trim off? it looks like one giant panel (the carpet I think is part of the panel) - I assume if you start removing bits of trim you'll reveal hidden screws and eventually get to the subs, which are screwed in behind the panel (I've taken all the trim off an E85 before so not afraid to do it)
- would there be enough air remaining behind the subs if I did this or would I need to make sure there's still some kind of hole to allow it to pump freely (so to speak!)

Obviously if I go ahead with it they'll be a load of pics to go with this and some before and after video......
(and yes I know I should be listening to the sound of the engine la la la, but when you're on the motorway with the top down cranking up some hammering tunes is essential to my lifestyle!!) :)
Z4M gone / 2009 35i just arrived / E Class Merc going strong

billy_beemer

Re: Subwoofer Resonance, worth soundproofing?&how to remove

Post by billy_beemer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:13 pm

p.s. I suppose mainly this is a..... anyone know how to pull the subs out question?
Z4M gone / 2009 35i just arrived / E Class Merc going strong