Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Alternative Smart Top?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Twin Turbo

Alternative Smart Top?

Post by Twin Turbo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi,

Been considering getting an smart top, but after Google :D

I have found an alternative for half the price @ £144 - you seem to loose the one press button for the roof - however you can programe the remote to

Operating the windows per OEM remote control:
Press the Open switch on the remote control 1..2s and the windows will open automatically. Closing the windows works in the same way except that the close button on the remote control is used. As a safety precaution, opening the windows can be terminated with the close button or closing the windows can be terminated with the Open button.

Operating the top per OEM remote control:
Press the Open switch on the remote control >3 s and the top will open automatically. Closing the top works in the same way except that the Close button on the remote control is used. When the switch is pressed gain in the same direction while the roof moves, the windows will stay open at the end of the roof movement. As a safety precaution, opening the top can be terminated with the Close button or closing the top can be terminated with the Open button.

You can start the top's operation, start the engine and drive away while the top is still moving – it will continue the movement until it’s opened/closed completely.

Anyone used one?

Details on installation: http://www.reinhold-engineering.de/pdf/BMW_Z4_E89_e.pdf

Z4monster

Re: Alternative Smart Top?

Post by Z4monster » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:16 pm

I used one for my first gen Z4 and it was OK. There was cutting of wires involved and some dismantling of the dash area to fit it but other than that it worked as advertised.

It did only work with the roof and had no other added functionality. It also couldn't be turned off when it went to the dealers.

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:22 pm

Z4monster wrote:I used one for my first gen Z4 and it was OK. There was cutting of wires involved and some dismantling of the dash area to fit it but other than that it worked as advertised.

It did only work with the roof and had no other added functionality. It also couldn't be turned off when it went to the dealers.
Thanks for the feedback, as I understand this version does turn off for dealer support.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:34 pm

Can you not get a secondhand SmartTop?

The smart top lets you move the roof at speed and also fold the mirrors remotely using the key. Both great features.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:15 pm

Twin turbo has a 2014 28i so he can already put the roof up and down at low speeds of up to 30mph. I can only assume that he is looking for more of a 'comfort access' kind of access system.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:59 pm

Hi,

Below is an list of features, and I can not see what Smarttop offers over this?

When its half the price I have to ask the question.

A1GSS

Post by A1GSS » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:18 am

Twin Turbo wrote:Hi,
Below is an list of features, and I can not see what Smarttop offers over this?
No cutting of wires...?
Graham.

2011 Z4 23i sDrive Space Grey / Coral Red

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:53 am

One touch opening & closing of the roof using the inside button (as well as the remote), auto folding of the mirrors on lock & unlock, easy install without wiring modification, easy programming using indicator stalk or laptop, dealer mode for disabling (required for software flashes or when in for service).

Plus (& the biggest one for me) - it is well known & well supported.

IMHO the other chip is a bit of a gamble, not worth it to save £100.

Matt
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

A1GSS

Post by A1GSS » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:15 pm

I went for a Smarttop. Very good, install and programming is pretty easy with a custom harness supplied. It will take only 10minutes to 100% return to factory standard if I sell the car.
Graham.

2011 Z4 23i sDrive Space Grey / Coral Red

InvisibleName

Post by InvisibleName » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:39 pm

You may be saving money, but the installation is way more complicated than the SmartTop! Takes no more than 20 minutes start-to-finish, with no need for removal, cutting or splicing of wires. Very easy to remove to transfer or sell.
28i M Sport / auto / Mineral Grey - Walnut leather