Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Surprised with falling E89 used values

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:01 am

Reading other forums - the N20 engine is not as robust as the N54.

The N20 is an cheep engine - built on cost - the Jury is still out as its still is a quite an new engine. However there are known cases it not lasting 75k miles - been fully serviced and maintained - without any engine mods.

Would I consider buying an mid-to-high mileage N20 NO
Would I consider buying an mid-to-high mileage N54 Yes

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:28 am

Twin Turbo wrote:Reading other forums - the N20 engine is not as robust as the N54.

The N20 is an cheep engine - built on cost - the Jury is still out as its still is a quite an new engine. However there are known cases it not lasting 75k miles - been fully serviced and maintained - without any engine mods.

Would I consider buying an mid-to-high mileage N20 NO
Would I consider buying an mid-to-high mileage N54 Yes

Not interested in any 2.0 Z of any description & the older/leggier they get am not that fussed for the twin turbos either :cry: as with the E85 E86 for me the 3.0 265bhp is the one to have as the 89 i will have won't have warranty & most likely will be around 60k / 7yrs old :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:28 pm

mr wilks wrote:
Z4M-2006 wrote:Brown cars,SE, small engines and gash spec will always hold a car back whatever make or model..

That's the reality..

Like trying to sell a bog spec, 2.0 E85

Not easy, with a very limited market..
Id want a good toe to toe on this one as i don't trust southerners :D but it ticks just about every box for me
Paint colour / good
Nav spec / good
Sport seats / good
3.0 non turbo / good
19s / good ( 296s my 89 fave wheel :) )
miles / good
price / good

just needs tyres up a size in profile for me :oops:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322007008014? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Lovely car...

Everything good,apart from SE.....

The M sports look and sit so much better..

Why wouldnt you have the twin turbo Andy ?

Skyroam

Post by Skyroam » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:23 pm

mr wilks wrote:
Z4M-2006 wrote:Brown cars,SE, small engines and gash spec will always hold a car back whatever make or model..

That's the reality..

Like trying to sell a bog spec, 2.0 E85

Not easy, with a very limited market..
Id want a good toe to toe on this one as i don't trust southerners :D but it ticks just about every box for me
Paint colour / good
Nav spec / good
Sport seats / good
3.0 non turbo / good
19s / good ( 296s my 89 fave wheel :) )
miles / good
price / good

just needs tyres up a size in profile for me :oops:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322007008014? ... EBIDX%3AIT
I'm in the market for an E89 and drove this last week as it's fairly local to me. Lack of cruise (a must for me as it'll be a daily driver) and a worry over potential cracks in the 296's eventually lead me to leave it but I agree it ticks a lot of boxes

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:37 pm

Skyroam wrote:
I'm in the market for an E89 and drove this last week as it's fairly local to me. Lack of cruise (a must for me as it'll be a daily driver) and a worry over potential cracks in the 296's eventually lead me to leave it but I agree it ticks a lot of boxes
Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup: neither of the above would be a negative , 296s can easily be picked up along the way :wink: & for me cruise isn't a killer blow for a predominantly weekend car
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:40 pm

Z5 Coming up then Mr W ?
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

Skyroam

Post by Skyroam » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:45 pm

mr wilks wrote:
Skyroam wrote:
Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup: neither of the above would be a negative , 296s can easily be picked up along the way :wink: & for me cruise isn't a killer blow for a predominantly weekend car
Car didn't feel 'loved' but I certainly didn't see anything that caused alarm bells

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:55 pm

ZermattV wrote:Z5 Coming up then Mr W ?
Its inevitable but not imminent :oops: just waiting & watching whilst fettling & enjoying the Si :driving:
100miles through the Dales today & enjoyed them all :driving:

3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:06 pm

Belting !
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:04 am

This thread invited my first post on this forum, so bear with me please. I live across the pond in the US, and just bought my first BMW; a silver Z4 35i. The E89 has a N54 engine, is a 2012, had 11,300 miles on it, and complete records. The CARFAX showed one owner, and his list of destinations was still in the NAV. He drove it around northern Virginia and made one trip to Florida, (about 2,000 miles round trip). The original window sticker was in the glove box and the car was very well equipped. The sticker price was $62,900 (in 2012). It had been for sale for 3 months when I bought it for $37,000 which included "Certified" previously owned status and warranty thru 2018. It was a 41% discount off of sticker, ($25,900), for a car with less than a year's normal mileage. The first owner incurred a depreciation cost of $2.30 for each mile he drove it.

I am 65, owned a number of British Leyland, Porsche and Lotus cars as a youngster, and besides being heavier, fatter, balder and less nimble wanted desperately to recapture a bit of my youth with a roadster in retirement. I leaned towards a more modern model since crawling around a restored MG, Triumph, or Jaguar to keep it running was NOT in my plans; I expect to drive the daylights out of this Z, NOT "wrench" on it, so reliability and longer service intervals appealed to me. (As did the much better performance, highway manners and creature comforts!) I have added 2,000 miles to the odometer in just 4 weeks and am totally in love with this car. It is, without doubt, the finest car I have ever owned, and exceeds every expectation I had. I am one happy, sunburned, old man. Honestly, the $70,000 sticker on a new Z never entered my mind - it was TOO big of a conceit, but at this discounted price it was irresistible.

Curiously I found 5 Z4s within 100 miles of Washington D.C. with low miles, and low prices similar to mine - this was the third car I looked at. I mused about the rotten resale values, but it was my good fortune. I examined why prices were so heavily discounted and discovered three obvious reasons. First, and this my not be as true in Britain, a roadster, as a vehicle class, is impractical to many in America and requires an understanding and acceptance of what it means to own one. Americans like to spread out, carry a lot of junk and believe a larger vehicle is "safer". You can only take one of the kids with you, your mother in law won't fit, your Uncle can't get his legs to bend enough to get in it and there is no room for the monthly supply of groceries. Secondly, BMW has broadened their line with so many different performance offerings, the average American consumer can buy a similarly performing sedan with room for four AND the groceries from BMW or any number of other constructors. My attention was drawn to the Z by an article in Car and Driver that compared 4 "Luxury Performance Roadsters" which included the Mercedes SLK, Porsche Boxster, and the Chevrolet Corvette as well as the BMW Z4 35i, all of which are relatively low production volume cars for their makers. So, its a small market - here at least. Finally, my many years of experience owning, maintaining, and racing sailboats gave me a final perspective. I have often laughed at the number of serious yachts in American marinas which never leave their slips. I have raced 2 nights a week, nine months a year out of Baltimore's harbor for 25 years. I know about 40 boats originally worth $500,000 to $2.5 million that were bought for similar reasons to the ones I had with this Z. The owners found they were intimidated by their purchase and really only wanted to sit on the aft deck and have a beer instead of finding crew or developing the skills to be a decent yachtsman. The "idea" of a yacht appealed to them; the reality did not, and for that hubris, they paid huge amounts in depreciation when they finally sold them. I suspect the same is true with roadsters, and the limited market makes resale difficult enough that prices are squeezed further. So, for what it is worth, i thought this recent experience was worthy of sharing on this thread. Hope it helps illuminate things. My advice to anyone is to find a similar value, and drive it like it was stolen. After all BMWs are built to be driven, IMO, and that's my plan!

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:59 am

When I bought my 23i I was a bit ignorant of the various versions.
I saw a blue one daily on a car park and thought what a nice car...I want one!
I even sat in a previous version Zed and it did nothing for me. (Depressing grey black interior).
I just went colour Orion, interior Kansas and satnav and was happy with that.
My 2009 car 3 1/2 years ago was 18k from BMW, probably now only worth 11k private if lucky.
I'm for the long term, just can't see buying another car, so resale value not important.
To me it's a 18k car and look after it as such.

What I find on looking at Autotrader is how few cars have nice interiors, a lot of black spec and no satnav.
Must go against selling when so many interior options were available.
The Tutonic black interiors of Audi and Porche would put me off them.

Over the years I have lost about 2k a year on cars (except a few old bangers that cost £200) so if I keep 9 years I would be more than happy.

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:04 am

Z4Rick wrote:This thread invited my first post on this forum, so bear with me please. I live across the pond in the US, and just bought my first BMW; a silver Z4 35i. The E89 has a N54 engine, is a 2012, had 11,300 miles on it, and complete records. The CARFAX showed one owner, and his list of destinations was still in the NAV. He drove it around northern Virginia and made one trip to Florida, (about 2,000 miles round trip). The original window sticker was in the glove box and the car was very well equipped. The sticker price was $62,900 (in 2012). It had been for sale for 3 months when I bought it for $37,000 which included "Certified" previously owned status and warranty thru 2018. It was a 41% discount off of sticker, ($25,900), for a car with less than a year's normal mileage. The first owner incurred a depreciation cost of $2.30 for each mile he drove it.

I am 65, owned a number of British Leyland, Porsche and Lotus cars as a youngster, and besides being heavier, fatter, balder and less nimble wanted desperately to recapture a bit of my youth with a roadster in retirement. I leaned towards a more modern model since crawling around a restored MG, Triumph, or Jaguar to keep it running was NOT in my plans; I expect to drive the daylights out of this Z, NOT "wrench" on it, so reliability and longer service intervals appealed to me. (As did the much better performance, highway manners and creature comforts!) I have added 2,000 miles to the odometer in just 4 weeks and am totally in love with this car. It is, without doubt, the finest car I have ever owned, and exceeds every expectation I had. I am one happy, sunburned, old man. Honestly, the $70,000 sticker on a new Z never entered my mind - it was TOO big of a conceit, but at this discounted price it was irresistible.

Curiously I found 5 Z4s within 100 miles of Washington D.C. with low miles, and low prices similar to mine - this was the third car I looked at. I mused about the rotten resale values, but it was my good fortune. I examined why prices were so heavily discounted and discovered three obvious reasons. First, and this my not be as true in Britain, a roadster, as a vehicle class, is impractical to many in America and requires an understanding and acceptance of what it means to own one. Americans like to spread out, carry a lot of junk and believe a larger vehicle is "safer". You can only take one of the kids with you, your mother in law won't fit, your Uncle can't get his legs to bend enough to get in it and there is no room for the monthly supply of groceries. Secondly, BMW has broadened their line with so many different performance offerings, the average American consumer can buy a similarly performing sedan with room for four AND the groceries from BMW or any number of other constructors. My attention was drawn to the Z by an article in Car and Driver that compared 4 "Luxury Performance Roadsters" which included the Mercedes SLK, Porsche Boxster, and the Chevrolet Corvette as well as the BMW Z4 35i, all of which are relatively low production volume cars for their makers. So, its a small market - here at least. Finally, my many years of experience owning, maintaining, and racing sailboats gave me a final perspective. I have often laughed at the number of serious yachts in American marinas which never leave their slips. I have raced 2 nights a week, nine months a year out of Baltimore's harbor for 25 years. I know about 40 boats originally worth $500,000 to $2.5 million that were bought for similar reasons to the ones I had with this Z. The owners found they were intimidated by their purchase and really only wanted to sit on the aft deck and have a beer instead of finding crew or developing the skills to be a decent yachtsman. The "idea" of a yacht appealed to them; the reality did not, and for that hubris, they paid huge amounts in depreciation when they finally sold them. I suspect the same is true with roadsters, and the limited market makes resale difficult enough that prices are squeezed further. So, for what it is worth, i thought this recent experience was worthy of sharing on this thread. Hope it helps illuminate things. My advice to anyone is to find a similar value, and drive it like it was stolen. After all BMWs are built to be driven, IMO, and that's my plan!
Fantastic first post :thumbsup: Stick it in the newbie section with a pic of your new baby and you'll get a good welcome
Anyhow welcome aboard :driving:
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:31 pm

A very gracious welcome! Thank you.

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:17 pm

Z4Rick wrote: The "idea" of a yacht appealed to them; the reality did not, and for that hubris, they paid huge amounts in depreciation when they finally sold them. I suspect the same is true with roadsters, and the limited market makes resale difficult enough that prices are squeezed further. So, for what it is worth, i thought this recent experience was worthy of sharing on this thread. Hope it helps illuminate things. My advice to anyone is to find a similar value, and drive it like it was stolen. After all BMWs are built to be driven, IMO, and that's my plan!
Exactly this! I bought my Z for 25k (~$37k) and considered it the best performance per buck I could hope for. It had only covered 18k miles and is an iS model. My view is that for 25k I can also buy a Ford Focus or poverty spec Mustang. I bought the Z as a replacement for a super bike so that I wouldn't kill myself ! Therefore, I see the Z as a more practical bike, not a less practical car :driving: :thumbsup:
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Wed May 04, 2016 4:03 pm

This post might provide further clarification of the pricing trend we are discussing here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8108&p=1286011#p1286011