Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Disable Headlight Washers

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
techathy

Re: Disable Headlight Washers

Post by techathy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:10 pm

pvr wrote:On my X5, I switch the lights off before I spray the windscreen so the lights do not get washed. Is that different for the E89?
Great, I'll just do that every 3min or so at 4:00-5:00am during winter months can't see that being a problem at all :rofl:
Current: '09 Lotus Evora Launch Edition
Previous: '13 BMW 120dx, '15 BMW z4 35iS

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:20 pm

If you spray every 3 minutes, then the headlights will not spray anyway as they only work once every x number of windscreen sprays :poke:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

techathy

Post by techathy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:31 pm

My current 1er is every 3rd time & when cruising past lorries at silly am with damp roads then once every 1 min or so is not uncommon on certain roads. :P
Current: '09 Lotus Evora Launch Edition
Previous: '13 BMW 120dx, '15 BMW z4 35iS

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:17 pm

Angie4m wrote:
flybobbie wrote:The washer bottle is easy to get at, just unplug the pump connector.
From memory it's the one closet to the engine.
Of course this won't stop the heads popping out.
The washers will not pop out as its the pressure of the water that forces them out so if you disconnect the pump or they become blocked they don't pop out.

My washers were gunked up, no water getting to them so they didn't pop out. Only popped out once I cleaned the filters and ran undiluted screen wash through the system to remove any gunk in the pipes.
So that would explain why that pump is much bigger than the windshield pump.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:43 pm

pvr wrote:If you spray every 3 minutes, then the headlights will not spray anyway as they only work once every x number of windscreen sprays :poke:
The old style used to be every 3rd skoosh but now it's after X amount of time or X amount of sprays if you've been spraying like a mad man. I believe if you skoosh once and then you do not require to do it for more than 30 mins then it will skoosh again. That nugget was passed to me by a BMW tech when I was trying to sort mines. So had to keep stopping and starting the car to check the progress
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:15 am

pvr wrote:Ok … so there is a workaround then.

I have used that method on all my cars as they are all Xenon and works ok.

When I am in real bad weather I don't care, but again with Xenons when you wash them everyone seems to think that you are flashing them and they get can get quite irate.
This is exactly the reason that's pushing me to disable them! I didn't want to mention it earlier for fear of being chastised as some sort of autistic freak.

When the washers spray at night the mist infront of the lights makes it look like you are flashing your headlights.

All the other reasons are still valid but that one pisses me off the most. 1st world problems I know :D

I think the fuse is also responsible for the washer jet heating so I'll just use NCS Expert to code the washers out. Good riddance!