Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ZM to 35is

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Re: ZM to 35is

Post by ronk » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:39 pm

shortfuse 2 wrote:john-e89
the noise level is about the same .I wanted a auto box the gearbox is superb smooth responsive much more of a cruiser
more comfortable ,I think in a couple of months I will be saying it is far superior to the m .but hey its everyone to there own .
I am just getting older and have something easier to drive hip and knees playing up.
(old git that I am ) lol

There are more old crocks on here than you think!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:55 pm

Maybe we ought to start a sub forum 'the knackered zed drivers club' or something :roll: Well I reckon i'm going for 35i with the DCT option, want to keep to 6 cylinders for the torque but keep it as quiet as possible. Having said that still got a week and a bit to change spec and as I can never make a decision it could end up 1.8m sport come a week Tuesday :lol:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:02 pm

john-e89 wrote:Maybe we ought to start a sub forum 'the knackered zed drivers club' or something :roll: Well I reckon i'm going for 35i with the DCT option, want to keep to 6 cylinders for the torque but keep it as quiet as possible. Having said that still got a week and a bit to change spec and as I can never make a decision it could end up 1.8m sport come a week Tuesday :lol:
It was meant to have a big six up front !

I bought mine as a surrogate big Healey that I couldn't afford in my youth! Ok I don't think they did a Healey in auto but I didn't have wobbly legs I those days. :D

andya1

Post by andya1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:42 pm

john-e89 wrote:Maybe we ought to start a sub forum 'the knackered zed drivers club' or something :roll: Well I reckon i'm going for 35i with the DCT option, want to keep to 6 cylinders for the torque but keep it as quiet as possible. Having said that still got a week and a bit to change spec and as I can never make a decision it could end up 1.8m sport come a week Tuesday :lol:
Hi John

I recently sold my E85 3.0si manual and am hopefully picking up a used 35i next Friday :thumbsup: it is our weekend car and I didn't want to go too mad on price so as much as I fancied a 35is I know that the 35i with 306bhp will be more than enough and it is quite a bit more powerful than my last one, it has the DCT box which is something I really fancied and I know it will sound superb as well :) keep us posted on your choice.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:45 pm

35i quiet? Not really. Very loud at startup and fairly ok on the move slowly. Any attempt to push it makes it loud.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:48 pm

A Healey now you're talking, fantastic proper British sports car. I bought the M roady as I really like the concept, big silly powerful engine and the diff, brakes, running gear etc from a bigger saloon crammed into a small-ish roadster that as a rule doesn't need spannering for folk that hav'nt got time to tinker, and while it is definitely superb and I really hope not many get written off as they are, imo, iconic, i'm just not gutted I have to sell mine as If i'm honest having tried a couple of e89's I just found them much easier and, well nicer to drive, hence it's prob an age thing. If I could keep the M for prosperity I would but having said that they need using so prob a good thing I can't, people that can ought to have them. I agree with you the 89 needs a six up front so I reckon it'll be a 35i.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:50 pm

Stick with the concept!

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi Andya1, congrats on the 35i, please let me know how you get on with it, I hope it does everything you want it to. I also had a 3.0si but auto, I didn't like the thumb push button down shift and it suffered badly from the sticky steering but the engine was fantastic, silky smooth and plenty of low down grunt, I nearly went for another but got the M itch. Sounds like we're on the same wavelength with the 35i. Hi Maniac, thanks for the post, I've read a lot of your posts, very informed chap. Have you had any comparison with the 35i and i's? As if there's nothing in it I may as well go the whole nine yards.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:55 pm

Will do Ronk, far be it for me to argue with age and experience...... :poke: :D
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:00 pm

You got the age bit right!

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:11 pm

Not just age, not rearing up at a newbie having a friendly poke says it all. :thumbsup: :)
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

andya1

Post by andya1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:22 pm

john-e89 wrote:Hi Andya1, congrats on the 35i, please let me know how you get on with it, I hope it does everything you want it to. I also had a 3.0si but auto, I didn't like the thumb push button down shift and it suffered badly from the sticky steering but the engine was fantastic, silky smooth and plenty of low down grunt, I nearly went for another but got the M itch. Sounds like we're on the same wavelength with the 35i. Hi Maniac, thanks for the post, I've read a lot of your posts, very informed chap. Have you had any comparison with the 35i and i's? As if there's nothing in it I may as well go the whole nine yards.
Hi John

I will let you know and I am getting pretty excited now as I really miss having a weekend roadster, we have booked a week away in May very high up in the Scottish Highlands and the 35i will be perfect for that trip.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:43 pm

Excellent good for you Andy,i can imagine you're pretty excited being so close to pick up. A week in Scotland with the zed sounds perfect. Mine is a weekender also but having a 7yr old son I can only do evening hoons really as the wife has all but banned him going in it after I got hit at very high speed in the si, but hoping to go on some forum runs / meets and especially the Scottish runs, know a great place to stay near Peebles on the borders, some great roads up there. Post some pics up if poss when you get it. :thumbsup:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

andya1

Post by andya1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:58 pm

john-e89 wrote:Excellent good for you Andy,i can imagine you're pretty excited being so close to pick up. A week in Scotland with the zed sounds perfect. Mine is a weekender also but having a 7yr old son I can only do evening hoons really as the wife has all but banned him going in it after I got hit at very high speed in the si, but hoping to go on some forum runs / meets and especially the Scottish runs, know a great place to stay near Peebles on the borders, some great roads up there. Post some pics up if poss when you get it. :thumbsup:
Hi John I will post some pics when I get it :thumbsup: the place we are going to is Kylesku and from York where we live it says it is a 10 hour drive :o so we are staying there for 7 nights and just getting out walking with our dog in that stunning scenery then we will have some fab food and beer at the fab hotel there, but we are planning to stay one night halfway there so I was thinking maybe around Perth but it has to be dog friendly and I am looking at the inn on the Tay as it does look good with great reviews.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:24 pm

Look forward to seeing the pics Andy, hav'nt been that far up for years but remember it being a fantastic place for scenery etc. well i guess a 10hr drive will confirm if you like the car or not! The guy I bought my M from lives in Edinburgh and he goes up there a few times a year with a car mad group of friends for a weeks honing around, showed me some pics, looks amazing. :thumbsup:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29