Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

auto door lock

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
RX-78

auto door lock

Post by RX-78 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:29 am

I remember I had to get my e86 coded to activate auto door locking on driving. On most BMWs this is now stock option I think, not sure it is on e89 though.

P.s. why does BMW disadvantage Z? idrive and key less driving are standard even on cheapest 3 series but we have to pay for them?
2015 E89 28i auto, mineral white, to be detailed!
2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si SE Manual, Saphier Black Now gone

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Re: auto door lock

Post by metal licker » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:40 am

Think auto lock is standard on the E89,I've seen it when fiddling with the obc and I haven't got idrive
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:12 am

RX-78 wrote:I remember I had to get my e86 coded to activate auto door locking on driving. On most BMWs this is now stock option I think, not sure it is on e89 though.

P.s. why does BMW disadvantage Z? idrive and key less driving are standard even on cheapest 3 series but we have to pay for them?
As advised you can toggle the menu on the dash via the indicator stalk to change settings like door locks and opening and follow you home lights.

With regards to drivers being disadvantaged how? My dads just spec'd a 3 series touring and comfort access which is keyless entry and drive (on the Z4) is a £265 option so not free and the standard iDrive is appalling. One of our mates has the standard version in his 320d and is so hacked off with it as he thought it would be like mines. If you want any of the good stuff, like with any BMW you need to pay for it. I'm not sure why keyless driving is so important to people as there have been a few discussions on people forgetting to take their keys out the car when they have left as they have forgotten they didn't have them in he dash. I find keyless entry a better feature as I don't need to open my bag when out to get into the car.

Your comparing a car launched 2009 with a brand new version of a huge selling vehicle released 2012/2013 where things have changed since the launch of the Z'd. In 2009 the current E9X variants also had to have these options paid for and this was the same until it's discontinuation.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:47 am

RX-78 wrote:I remember I had to get my e86 coded to activate auto door locking on driving. On most BMWs this is now stock option I think, not sure it is on e89 though.

Auto lock is indeed standard on the E89. If the car has idrive its is activated there, or through the dash menus as noted above.
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

RX-78

Post by RX-78 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks for the info guys, last time, I didn't realize e86 has auto lock for ages!

I think current 3 series has keyless driving without comfort access as standard. My partner's car hasn't got keyless entry and it has keyless driving. I use my Z as a daily drive and I always wish I didn't have to fiddle with my key when I have tablet and lunch to carry. Not essential function but takes away the special feeling when I have less function then a 2l disel ecodrtive saloon .Why wouldn't they include this on 2014 face lift I don't know :headbang:

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:37 pm

RX-78 wrote:Thanks for the info guys, last time, I didn't realize e86 has auto lock for ages!

I think current 3 series has keyless driving without comfort access as standard. My partner's car hasn't got keyless entry and it has keyless driving. I use my Z as a daily drive and I always wish I didn't have to fiddle with my key when I have tablet and lunch to carry. Not essential function but takes away the special feeling when I have less function then a 2l disel ecodrtive saloon .Why wouldn't they include this on 2014 face lift I don't know :headbang:
2014 facelift what? I think you'll find the facelift was 2013 and this usually is a few cosmetic tweeks, lights etc and possibly engine and or gearbox updates if they feel it is needed. It usually doesn't include taking away very profitable optional extras and putting these in as standard. Usually if they want to add some optional extras they make a 'special edition' and charge more for it to boot.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

RX-78

Post by RX-78 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:02 pm

Thanks for spotting the typo. I did mean to type 2013. Not the first time my tablet let me down :oops:

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:37 pm

RX-78 wrote:Thanks for spotting the typo. I did mean to type 2013. Not the first time my tablet let me down :oops:
We all do it, I wouldn't worry. I put 2097 as a date in a post the other week, I got a few comedy replies. I'm sure whatever follows next in terms of a new Z'd will probably have keyless entry and drive.

I know its a very popular option on cars but as my 4 year old nephew can get the seat close enough to the pedals and be able to touch them, the thought of such easy entry and start just fills me with dread with regards to other children. I know I've seen reports before of kids getting keys and managing to get the car started etc but this makes it even easier once they have the key

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

chasBMW

Post by chasBMW » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:20 pm

Angie4m wrote:
RX-78 wrote:Thanks for the info guys, last time, I didn't realize e86 has auto lock for ages!

2014 facelift what? I think you'll find the facelift was 2013 and this usually is a few cosmetic tweeks, lights etc and possibly engine and or gearbox updates if they feel it is needed. It usually doesn't include taking away very profitable optional extras and putting these in as standard. Usually if they want to add some optional extras they make a 'special edition' and charge more for it to boot.
having owned a 2010 car and a 2013 car the only thing that was an option on first and not on the second was DAB radio but base price of car had increased so not completely sure it was free
Valencia Orange 35is now gone but well remembered now Porsche Boxster GTS