Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Alpine white vs mineral white

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Alpine white vs mineral white

Post by Stark » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:38 pm

I detailed my car myself a few times a week!!! In fact an hour after work most nights :
:thumbsup:

Jimbo still looks after it very well :thumbsup:

RX-78

Post by RX-78 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:44 pm

:o that's dedication! I'm thinking of taking mine to a detailer, don't think there's enough elbow grease in me to wax the car :oops:

Might go for ceramic sealant though, heard it's lasts longer them the wax
2015 E89 28i auto, mineral white, to be detailed!
2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si SE Manual, Saphier Black Now gone

AndyJ

Post by AndyJ » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:22 pm

RX-78 wrote::o that's dedication! I'm thinking of taking mine to a detailer, don't think there's enough elbow grease in me to wax the car :oops:

Might go for ceramic sealant though, heard it's lasts longer them the wax
If you use a sealant like CarLack then it's very easy to apply and lasts a long time (6 months). It also provides a stunning finish (use the AIO then the sealant). I then apply R222 wax (blue lid) over the top every couple of weeks which adds that deep gloss and a little extra protection. Beautiful.

I detailed my other halves, sisters, AW Z4 over Christmas and it's an amazing colour. It's truly very hard to see blemishes / swirl marks unless you look closely across the paint at an angle - so very easy to keep looking immaculate. However it doesn't take a wax in the same way as the metalic colours do, so I suspect MW shows off the above products better.

Personally I was extremely close to buying an M4 and the best colour I saw it in was AW. It's interesting that there are so many AW M4's when you consider that MW is a no-cost option.
Z Current -- Z4 35 IS (Valencia Orange) -- 1/3/15
Z History -- Z3 2.8 (Atlanta Blue). Z3MR (Estoril Blue). Z4 3.0 (Sterling Grey). Z4M (Carbon Black). E89 35i MS(Sapphire Black)

RX-78

Post by RX-78 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:16 pm

I did wonder on wax vs ceramic sealant. I heard wax gives a better shine but last time I waxed my E86, it took me 3 days, clay got everywhere in my nails and almost cried at thought of polishing off the carnasuba wax with the hands :headbang: I'll have a goop at putting liquid was every month though, I could do with a bit of exercise!

Quite agree M cars looks better on AW. Not sure why, may be Z4 has more curves and lines then ///m which suits MW? I'll find out in a couple of months :driving:

SO8

Post by SO8 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:45 pm

Just found this link I posted of my MW after it's 1st wash ... :D

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 23&t=71118
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

RX-78

Post by RX-78 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:54 pm

Wow that looks great! I love the slight silverly hue it has, looks very different to AW. Now I sound like an art gallery sales man :oops:

AndyJ

Post by AndyJ » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:10 am

SO8 wrote:Just found this link I posted of my MW after it's 1st wash ... http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 23&t=71118
SO8 - There's no doubt it looks stunning. :thumbsup:

RX-78. If you use the products I've highlighted then nothing will be hard to apply or remove. I'm not sure what on earth you've been using before. Clay should be applied only when the car needs a thorough clean to remove heavily bonded particles like tar, and then use with lots of the supplied lube. Normally the CarLack AIO cleaner will do the job easily.

With waxes (and sealants to some extent) be careful not to apply too much, generally only a thin coverage is required. And make sure not to apply in direct sunlight / when bodywork is too hot. Finally don't leave on too long.
Z Current -- Z4 35 IS (Valencia Orange) -- 1/3/15
Z History -- Z3 2.8 (Atlanta Blue). Z3MR (Estoril Blue). Z4 3.0 (Sterling Grey). Z4M (Carbon Black). E89 35i MS(Sapphire Black)

TONYMOR

Post by TONYMOR » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:08 pm

I have an Aw with red leather and 19inch wheels and Iove it
Purchased last July and gets loads of good comments.
A used car I must admit I've not seen one in another white as yet.

RX-78

Post by RX-78 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:40 pm

I think I made the water to hot first time round to soften the clay. 2nd time was better and it gets rid off all the bits stick on the paint (at one point a lot of road work was being done and I had lots of stuff diving onto the paint!)

Not sure where I went won't on the wax, prob being an amateur :oops:

I bit the bullet and added professional dossiers on the option today. I think I would have moaned about it for the next few years if I didn't sick that on!