Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Auto-fold mirrors without smarttop e.g. BMWhat app

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Dexter_Morgan

Auto-fold mirrors without smarttop e.g. BMWhat app

Post by Dexter_Morgan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:41 pm

Is it possible to code the mirrors to fold on lock/unlock with door without using a smarttop? I removed mine recently and I really miss this feature. I will be changing car shortly so don't think I will reinstall it. I have been looking at BMWhat Android app. Can this do it? My next car will most likely be a BMW so it may be worth the investment if so.

Also does anyone have experience of the app? I get the idea a lot of stuff needs to be purchased in app.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Auto-fold mirrors without smarttop e.g. BMWhat app

Post by Angie4m » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:48 pm

Hiya,

There has been discussions on this before but nobody could confirm so I never ventured into getting it but it would seem that there has been someone who managed to get it to work but instead of sharing the knowledge on this decided to charge for the services.

The thread is here http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=72886 so it would seem that it is possible.

Thanks to that posting I was looking to invest in the app but my father has decided that he would like to spend some serious money on a proper diagnostics machine due to having 7 BM's but I might get it for the portability factor of the whole kit.

I assume that you also have the Bluetooth OBD reader?
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Dexter_Morgan

Post by Dexter_Morgan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:41 pm

I don't have the adapter but they sell them.

http://www.ivini-tech.de/en/adapter/and ... er/a-1002/

I'm assuming that is all I would need along with the app?

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:42 pm

Indeed :thumbsup: just need one of them, Amazon also sell them too but that's not a bad price for that to be honest as long as shipping isn't twice the price!

Then get the app, I believe you will need the paid for version to get the coding of the mirrors etc.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

chrisver

Post by chrisver » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:22 pm

I can confirm - I coded my 2014 Z mirrors using an old version of BMWhat that I sideloaded on my Android tablet - Just google bmwhat.apk

I used old Version 6.4 and set my tablet clock back 1 year to get it to work without requiring online update.
(This version only accesses 4 ECUs but the ones you need for mirrors and remote open/close roof are there.)

It connected fine to my generic bluetooth ODB2 adapter which the newest trial software says it cannot use - I guess they're trying to sell their own hardware as well as the software.

Spend thousands on car + refuse to spend £50 on software and hardware = must work in IT.

Aero1971

Post by Aero1971 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:18 pm

Hi Guys,

Mine has remote mirrors, with the button.

Thanks,

Aero1971
Last edited by Aero1971 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alpine Z

Post by Alpine Z » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:11 pm

Aero1971.

Forgive my naivety, but I've been wanting to ask this question for a while.

My other cars show a digital speed reading in the instrument cluster. Are you saying you can do this and how does this work?

I'm still waiting for BMW to come back to me re Connected Drive/BMW Online.
Alpine White S Drive 3.5i DCT

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:55 pm

So am I right in thinking that with one of those dongles you can programme loads of extra features that are already fitted as standard, just not activated??

I didn't know whether my mirrors needed extra motors or something. It really annoys me that the mirrors don't fold in. Anyone around Yorkshire know how to do all this??? Nice bottle of vino or beers waiting hahaha
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:32 am

Yes that's correct although some 'features' may also require hardware. I note you advise your mirrors don't fold so I assume you don't have the auto dim exterior mirrors with auto foliding function which is operated by a button inside the car? If not then you won't be able to 'unlock' this feature as your mirrors aren't the correct ones and you'll just have to push them from the outside.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

E89_Gaz

Post by E89_Gaz » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:50 pm

The android version appears to have greater functionality around real time data/diags over the IOS version. You can download the App and use a Wi-Fi/BT Dongle to run a free diagnostic of your vehicle, which you then email to InviniAppp. They will then provide you with a free report. Video in Motion has been an upcoming feature for quite a while, so I wouldn't hold your breath there. Also, BMWhat doesn't allow things like winding in the rear pads to change them, or registration of a new battery.

Aero1971

Post by Aero1971 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:57 pm

Alpine Z wrote:Aero1971.

Forgive my naivety, but I've been wanting to ask this question for a while.

My other cars show a digital speed reading in the instrument cluster. Are you saying you can do this and how does this work?

I'm still waiting for BMW to come back to me re Connected Drive/BMW Online.
Hi,

My car had the mirrors already, not the speedo, the mirror can be activated by BMW using their diagnostic system when you get it serviced.

Hope this helps
Last edited by Aero1971 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aero1971

Post by Aero1971 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:05 pm

That's clever, can it update the navigation maps?
Last edited by Aero1971 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:32 pm

There appears to be quite a lot of things you can adjust it have with this useful little app. I especially like the idea of opening/closing the roof whilst moving at slow speed.
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

Aero1971

Post by Aero1971 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:38 pm

The_Dude wrote:There appears to be quite a lot of things you can adjust it have with this useful little app. I especially like the idea of opening/closing the roof whilst moving at slow speed.
This is already possible, up to 20mph on the E89 :D