Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Angel eyes to DRL

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Anon

Re: Angel eyes to DRL

Post by Anon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:48 pm

We've had the V3's on our e89 for almost three years now, much cleaner white DRLs. Looking forward to your pics of the V5's.

Alpine Z

Post by Alpine Z » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Well, once we had some clear skies later this morning, I went about installing some of the most expensive light bulbs I have ever come across.

Their cost and fragility, added to my trepidation.

Once I'd located the correct housing and disconnected the plug confirming this was the Halo bulb I was on my way.

The round twist cap covering the halo bulb housing is the inside of the two bulb access points and is almost flat/horizontal, not the vertical one on the outside, that the Xenons one.

The first bulb I unclipped the connector and the released the bulb from its housing, turning the bulb in the direction of the middle of the car/radiator, not towards the outside/wings. On the second bulb I left the connector on and twisted it free.

Fitting the LED bulbs, I attached them both to the connector, that at least meant I wasn't going to drop the bulb, getting it into the holder was really fiddly, slowly, slowly I teased it in holding onto the colour setting box.

With the new bulbs securely in, I then experimented with the colour settings.

For the moment I'm running 7800K, but may drop it down to 6900K. I did get all of the colour settings wrong initially, misread and clicked the rocker switches wrongly.

The colour setting box and cables tuck into the cavity behind the bulbs so all is OK.

I've taken some photos on my phone. So once I've got those up in photobucket and tidied them up, I'll post up the pics.
Alpine White S Drive 3.5i DCT

Alpine Z

Post by Alpine Z » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:43 pm

After a bit of faffing here's the pics.

Kit.

Lights before.

Old & New.

6900k left, 7800k right.

DRL's only.

Clearly my phone is rubbish in the dark.

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:47 pm

What power are these? I got some bulbs off eBay that are ok but not as bright as the new led halos. So you think these are as bright as the new ones?
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

Alpine Z

Post by Alpine Z » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:47 am

They are bright, but would like to see them side by side with a new car.

This is the quote from LUX.

"Brightness: The LUX H8 V5 angel eyes product a total of 2400 lumen which is halogen equivalent of 120 watts of light! Since the LUX H8 V5’s do not dim they stay at this brightness all the time. Many other brands out there do not operate at full power so they will dim and will reduce their output by 50% or more at times. The stock bulbs are rated at 35 watt each, 70 watt total. Our LUX H8 V5 lights are 1.7 times brighter than the stock bulbs in the daytime and about 3x as bright when the headlights are on. All LUX Products come with our guaranteed customer support and a 1-year warranty."

I have to say I'm happy with the bulbs.

The_Dude

Post by The_Dude » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:43 am

Do you have a link for where you purchased them?
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

Alpine Z

Post by Alpine Z » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:12 am

Try this.

They are the only UK suppliers.

http://www.caraudioexpress.co.uk/

I had great difficulty ordering on line. Something to do with safety certificates. The guys in the shop were helpful.

But once I got through that and CC Security checks order went through and delivered the next day.