Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4: real world feedback

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Z4: real world feedback

Post by flybobbie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:27 am

I find in order to see the instruments, especially the turn indications, the steering wheel is too high.
Would have been nice if the instrument cluster was attached to the steering column to maintain the view through the steering wheel.

Mobeer

Post by Mobeer » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:37 pm

I've had a 2009 sdrive23i for 2.5 years.

Pluses:
+ it goes very nicely, very smooth
+ lots of nice comments from random strangers (makes my head feel bigger)
+ comfortable seats

Negatives
- ride is much too hard on 17" runflats and won't settle
- so-so reliability with some big bills
- missing a much longer 7th gear for long distance cruising
- in car electronics are poor in comparison to newer models (especially dated iDrive)
- quite a common car compared to rivals like the Boxster

In terms of options:
* wind deflector is a must
* heated seats if you like roof down at colder times of year
* sat nav is nice but soo expensive that it's hard to recommend
* PDC is very useful given limited visibility
* alarm is a sensible choice (or now fitted as standard?)
* big wheels might be a good thing to avoid

Amg01

Post by Amg01 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:43 pm

Thoughts I should update this, firstly thanks for all the feedback, very much appreciated. Have been looking at Z4s for at least 6 months now and checking autotrader and BMW approved used pretty much every day (hour!) and seen a car but it wasn't local. So thought best to get a test drive of a Z4 to check I like it, so test drove a Z4 on Saturday and despite not getting the roof down (I live in Glasgow, surprisingly it was raining) I really liked it, so arranged on Monday to purchase a 2012 Z4 sDrive 20i MSport Roadster in Glacier Silver with Coral Red Interior. It has the 19inch 326 M alloys, cruise control, folding mirrors, Front and rear PDC, service package, heated seats, wind deflector, bluetooth. Considering the options etc seemed like the car together and having spoken to the dealer I test drove the car with, he said the chances of the combination of exterior/interior colours becoming available were minimal, so thought best to pounce. Car is in Belfast so left a deposit and assuming its ok, dealers sent me a detailed video of it and it looks spotless, I will buy it. Just arranging to get across and view it, due to Easter weekend prices for flights, are ridiculous, think all our Celtic cousins are heading home for the weekend so looking like hopefully the 8th April. Assuming its all ok, will get pictures up.
Silver E89 Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi Amgo1, Glacier silver and red leather looks great, saw one in a dealers, very smart, great spec you're going for too, hope it turns out to be the right 1 for you.

Best of luck, keep us posted. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:58 pm

We have a 2.0 l m spec ,this engine means cheaper road fund license more economical and more than adequate poke the 326 wheels imo are superb lookers so deep like looking down inside of a tunnel ,the run flats I don't have a problem with ,it means I won't get a phone call off the wife moaning she is stuck on the hard shoulder of the motorway in the rain asking me to come and change the wheel , also if BMW have spent millions developing this system then it works for me ,
The minimum extras you need are the comfort pack ,heated seats are a must when roof down in middle of sunny freezing winter day also means we can fold mirrors back and garage the car every night ,love the extended lighting looks brill also the auto wipers ,I wish we had the media/nav package and comfort access
I would definitely have another ,only problem we've had is the barely noticeable bearing noise behind drivers seat ,I know it's the fuel pump , but it' not made any more noises in many months so Im ok,with it ,the car has truly stunning looks for the money ,not many around ,as I have said here before imo they the best looking car in there class .ie SLK,Boxter etc I'd love the 35is seems to be the flavour of the month like to think I'll have one one day ,though the 2.0l still ticks all the boxes ,blacks and blues show swirls and marks in paint , get the best warranty you can, crucial !! ,and keep it going , some items on these cars can be a pocket emptying experience for the unwary ,high cost of tyres means I have a relaxed right foot ,they are not cheap if you like wheel spinning . Overall matey I love this car ,you will not be disappointed ,our local dealer Ryebrook Warwick who look after our zed v v good service , all the advice you need concerning the E89 can be found here , enjoy,:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :driving:
2013 E89 Z4 2.0L M Spec titanium silver,black leather,comfort pack, 19" 326 alloys ,I love this car. :driving:

Amg01

Post by Amg01 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:05 pm

Yesterday was my pick up day so flew over to Belfast to view the car. Was picked up by a taxi organised by Bavarian BMW to take me to the dealer and the dealership was very smart. Met the salesman who took me over to the waiting car, I have attached some photos, taken with iPhone but not the greatest.

However its fair to say the pictures don't do it justice, car is was immaculate. Full service completed, two near rear tyres, they had even painted the drum silevr and the caliper black, looks very smart. Overall delighted, went for a test drive and I new it was the car for me. Thankfully the weather in Belfast yesterday was cracking so roof down all day. Once the formalities were complete, down to the Port and back to Scotland. Once arrived, again weather was cracking, roof down motoring along the A77 and then M77 back to Glasgow. Absolutely loving it so far and cant wait for the rest of the summer, roof down all day. :thumbsup: Some more photos when home.

Now want to give it a proper clean, like having a clean car. There was some condensation in the front lights this morning, dealer has said this, 'I’ve spoken with our service department regarding your query about the condensation on the inside of your headlights. This is perfectly normal for a xenon headlight – A xenon headlight is fitted with vents running along the bottom of the headlight, this is designed to cool the headlight as they get very hot during use. Due to the vents along the bottom of the headlight the headlight will commonly have a strip of condensation appearing along the bottom (as per your photos). This strip of condensation will ‘burn away’ when the headlight is in use.' Is this correct, still under warranty so can get it checked out if needed? What leather cleaner should I be using and looking to get a DA what do people recommend for polish and pads to use?
Silver E89 Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Jasey

Post by Jasey » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:57 pm

Hopefully this work :)

Last edited by Jasey on Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:10 pm

That looks lovely. Almost a satin effect in some photos. Just keep an eye on the condensation, as long as it doesn't accumulate you should be fine. Lovely car. Enjoy.

Visionist

Post by Visionist » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:44 pm

Around 3 and a half weeks since I picked up my car. Had around 32000 miles on the clock. The 450 mile drive home was a great way to get to know its ins & outs.

The car is extremely docile at low speeds, a pussycat in heavy traffic. The engine and exhaust sound great; very "technical". You have the satisfying growl on startup which quickly (too quickly!) abates as the valves close. Nice burble when cruising slowly in higher gears, again could be a bit louder for my taste, but ready to scream when you put your foot down, especially with the gearbox in S mode. A distant wail from the turbines heard every now and again. Come-off at speed and you hear the wastegates whistle and hiss, and give it a cheeky rev in park (when you arrive and your oil's warm) and it roars and pops and crackles something fierce. Fantastic and utterly moreish.
2011 35i "Il Cammello" - Orion Metallic / Pure White Design - Almost Fully Loaded

Barley

Post by Barley » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:37 pm

I have been a 35is (63 reg 10,000 miles) owner for 3 weeks now, havnt really pushed the car in cornering yet but it being a massive uplift in terms of performance than my previous car im building up gradually :driving:

In a straight line Ig goes like stink, massive powerful acceleration, ear to ear smile and laugh out loud pleasure, dare I say its obscene :rofl: there is power through the whole range and overtaking anything, including a line of cars is a doddle. Blink and before you know it youre doing a ton. Really need to rein it in and be careful with all that power.

As per comment above the exhaust note is stupendous. Ive hardly used the stereo.

Visionist

Post by Visionist » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:59 pm

But get the decent stereo! It all depends on how you use the car but the two I tried with base audio sounded too front-focused (the top system still does to simulate a soundstage but with fuller bass) and distorted at higher volumes. Certainly if you're well into triple-digit speeds top-down (closed roads only! :wink: ) then the standard system isn't what it could be. Mine has DVD-In-Motion from the previous owner and the 6.1 DTS works marvellously along with the cinematic near 2:35 ratio which fills the screen without black bars (but no DVD changer on mine... Grrr!) for relaxing with a movie when parked or to placate nervous passengers when not.
2011 35i "Il Cammello" - Orion Metallic / Pure White Design - Almost Fully Loaded

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:44 pm

Only had my 35is for a couple of weeks and love it to bits but does anyone else get frustrated when the sat nav screen keeps popping up every time you select reverse then refuses to go down again automatically when you have finished reversing. AARRGGH. Having to select options and close it again every time is so annoying. Unless I am missing something?
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Mobeer

Post by Mobeer » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:04 pm

You can program one of the preset buttons on the radio to quickly toggle the screen open or closed, but I can't see how to stop it opening when reverse is selected.

InvisibleName

Post by InvisibleName » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:46 pm

Nanu wrote:Only had my 35is for a couple of weeks and love it to bits but does anyone else get frustrated when the sat nav screen keeps popping up every time you select reverse then refuses to go down again automatically when you have finished reversing. AARRGGH. Having to select options and close it again every time is so annoying. Unless I am missing something?
How else would you see the Parking Sensor readout??? And yes, the best thing to do is programme one of the 'radio' keys. I use '5' as it aligns perfectly with my finger when I place my hand on the gearshift.
28i M Sport / auto / Mineral Grey - Walnut leather

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:12 pm

InvisibleName wrote:
Nanu wrote:Only had my 35is for a couple of weeks and love it to bits but does anyone else get frustrated when the sat nav screen keeps popping up every time you select reverse then refuses to go down again automatically when you have finished reversing. AARRGGH. Having to select options and close it again every time is so annoying. Unless I am missing something?
How else would you see the Parking Sensor readout??? And yes, the best thing to do is programme one of the 'radio' keys. I use '5' as it aligns perfectly with my finger when I place my hand on the gearshift.
I take it on the idrive its visual instead of an audible beeping noise like non-idrive models or is it both?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)