Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4: real world feedback

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jasey

Re: Z4: real world feedback

Post by Jasey » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:03 pm

Nictrix wrote:
InvisibleName wrote:
Nanu wrote:Only had my 35is for a couple of weeks and love it to bits but does anyone else get frustrated when the sat nav screen keeps popping up every time you select reverse then refuses to go down again automatically when you have finished reversing. AARRGGH. Having to select options and close it again every time is so annoying. Unless I am missing something?
How else would you see the Parking Sensor readout??? And yes, the best thing to do is programme one of the 'radio' keys. I use '5' as it aligns perfectly with my finger when I place my hand on the gearshift.
I take it on the idrive its visual instead of an audible beeping noise like non-idrive models or is it both?
Both.

Visionist

Post by Visionist » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:38 pm

Nictrix wrote:
InvisibleName wrote:
Nanu wrote:Only had my 35is for a couple of weeks and love it to bits but does anyone else get frustrated when the sat nav screen keeps popping up every time you select reverse then refuses to go down again automatically when you have finished reversing. AARRGGH. Having to select options and close it again every time is so annoying. Unless I am missing something?
How else would you see the Parking Sensor readout??? And yes, the best thing to do is programme one of the 'radio' keys. I use '5' as it aligns perfectly with my finger when I place my hand on the gearshift.
I take it on the idrive its visual instead of an audible beeping noise like non-idrive models or is it both?
It's both.

I setup button "1" to close the screen as it annoys me when I don't need it. Had a camera installed and I can't get it to stop "broadcasting" to the screen when I select drive again after reverse. Amusing for driving around whilst watching who's behind you on the screen but annoying as pressing one of the iDrive's function keys doesn't always return to whatever I was doing before (typically audio menu).
2011 35i "Il Cammello" - Orion Metallic / Pure White Design - Almost Fully Loaded

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:43 pm

The idrive is visual as well as audible and yes I wish once you have finished with it it would return to what you were last using it for such asthe radio or CD. Haven't a clue about radio keys as I'm still getting used to all the toys but will make a point of looking it up in the manual.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Visionist

Post by Visionist » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:46 pm

The eight buttons on the headunit marked 1-8 can be used to preset certain functions in the iDrive; simply touch a button and it detects your finger's heat and tells you on the screen what's assigned to it (or "No Function Assigned"). By using the iDrive controller to scroll to a function you'd like to preset and holding down the button you'd like to assign it to you can always use said button to recall said function until you reassign it (not quite sure how to reassign at the moment). Not all functions can be assigned to the buttons: I tried assigning one button to the USB stick I had in the armrest but it wouldn't let me, so I uploaded it to the hard drive via the glovebox's USB port instead: much more reliable.

My button 1 is assigned to open/close the screen, button 2 instantly recalls zoom mode for watching a DVD and buttons 3 through 6 are unassigned for now. I think button 7 or 8 recalls the satnav to take me home and I can't remember what the last one does for now.
2011 35i "Il Cammello" - Orion Metallic / Pure White Design - Almost Fully Loaded

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:48 pm

Visionist wrote:The eight buttons on the headunit marked 1-8 can be used to preset certain functions in the iDrive; simply touch a button and it detects your finger's heat and tells you on the screen what's assigned to it (or "No Function Assigned"). By using the iDrive controller to scroll to a function you'd like to preset and holding down the button you'd like to assign it to you can always use said button to recall said function until you reassign it (not quite sure how to reassign at the moment). Not all functions can be assigned to the buttons: I tried assigning one button to the USB stick I had in the armrest but it wouldn't let me, so I uploaded it to the hard drive via the glovebox's USB port instead: much more reliable.

My button 1 is assigned to open/close the screen, button 2 instantly recalls zoom mode for watching a DVD and buttons 3 through 6 are unassigned for now. I think button 7 or 8 recalls the satnav to take me home and I can't remember what the last one does for now.
Thanks that's great, just assigned a few of the buttons and that sorts a few issues all at once. Now to find out what all the other toys do.

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Jasey

Post by Jasey » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:15 pm

Nanu wrote:
Visionist wrote:The eight buttons on the headunit marked 1-8 can be used to preset certain functions in the iDrive; simply touch a button and it detects your finger's heat and tells you on the screen what's assigned to it (or "No Function Assigned"). By using the iDrive controller to scroll to a function you'd like to preset and holding down the button you'd like to assign it to you can always use said button to recall said function until you reassign it (not quite sure how to reassign at the moment). Not all functions can be assigned to the buttons: I tried assigning one button to the USB stick I had in the armrest but it wouldn't let me, so I uploaded it to the hard drive via the glovebox's USB port instead: much more reliable.

Thanks that's great, just assigned a few of the buttons and that sorts a few issues all at once. Now to find out what all the other toys do.
You know if you press and hold the open / lock button on the remote it should open / close the roof don't you :thumbsup:

Visionist

Post by Visionist » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:14 pm

I can open my roof with the remote but it own't let me close it. Seems I don't have any form of comfort access :headbang:

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Had the remote opening and closing of the roof on my last car (28i) but haven't tried it on this one as I assumed it would be the same. Did hear about a gadget that allowed the roof to open and close with only one press of the button on the inside without having to keep it held down till it was fully up or down which I thought may be worth investing in.

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Visionist

Post by Visionist » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:13 pm

Smart Top module. I wanted one but they're not the easiest little critters to get one's hands on. A guy on E89.zpost was selling but didn't want to ship it across the pond.

Reasoned that I don't really need it; opening the top with the remote is enough really, and holding down the button is hardly a chore. Be nice to fold the mirrors on the remote though.

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:22 pm

Visionist wrote:I can open my roof with the remote but it own't let me close it. Seems I don't have any form of comfort access :headbang:
You can still close the roof using the key in the drivers door though.
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

Squiddie

Post by Squiddie » Thu May 07, 2015 4:47 am

Well I ordered mine without NAV because that about doubles the in-cabin storage facilities :)

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Thu May 07, 2015 7:41 pm

Squiddie wrote:
Well I ordered mine without NAV because that about doubles the in-cabin storage facilities :)
Yep thats where I used to store my sun glasses but not anymore. Still a good bit of kit though

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

USZ4

Post by USZ4 » Fri May 08, 2015 4:00 am

Pros: great fun to drive and good for a daily driver. Pretty reliable.

Cons: Maintenance and repair cost. After the 4 year BMW warranty and maintenance coverage expires on a BMW in the US, brings lots of money for BMW repairs/maintenance. There is a reason that there are a LOT of 5 year old BMW's at a BMW dealer's used car lot.
Manny

2016 e89 35i
2013 e93 M3