Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brakes.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
RoyS

Brakes.

Post by RoyS » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:22 pm

Hey guys my front pads are due to be changed in around 1000 miles. I'm not the savviest with mechanical work but my friend said he would help me change them. What do I need to get is it just brakes pads or do I need to grt new sensors aswell or are they part of the pads? Also where is the best place to get pads and what kind?

Another one can someone kindly talk me through the life expectancy of pads, discs, and calipers I don't have a clue how the whole mechanism works at all.

I've seen uprated brake kits these are well into the thounds££££ but are they worth it? I know there is usually a problem with the ebrake to upgrade the rears but with the cost it concearns me more as to the life expectancy of calipers and brake discs as these seem expensive in the sets but offer better permanence and looks in my opinion.

Much appreciated to anyone who replies

Regards me. :)

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Brakes.

Post by Angie4m » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi, with regards to the pads its a simple enough job and I assume that eother yourself or your mate have done this before? You will need a sensor too. As for where to buy them you can go OEM and buy from BMW, maybe even try get a discount or find a BMW dealer on eBay selling them, they usually do decent prices. Alternatively you can try someone like EBC and go for something like yellow stuff pads.

With regards to expectancy, it all depends on how you drive. I have been known to go through pads in less than 10k but I was younger and always tried to stop from 70 immediately.

Do you need to upgrade the brakes? Do you track your car? The 30 has decent enough brakes for everyday driving to be honest
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

RoyS

Post by RoyS » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:52 pm

Yes he has done it before and said he would give me a hand in doing it and showing me how. How does the sensor and the pads work together or dont they? So do the disks and calipers last a while I guess? I would like to start going to tracks and things like that a few friends go in their cars it would be good to give it a go once in a while, I would class my car as a weekend car but its my only car there is no need to drive it during the week so I get olenty of fun on the weekend.

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:43 pm

Should be straight forward if he's done before......this video should help if you ever do the rears.
Tell him to take a look from 7 min 15 sec in re the parking brake.

Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

jwa1

Post by jwa1 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:26 am

Easy if you have experience or right aptitude. Dismantle and put back as taken apart but with copper grease.. Get help otherwise if you don't understand.

RoyS

Post by RoyS » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:07 pm

All sorted now guys had to do disks as well they where running pretty low would have failed MOT by the time April comes around

w1ndsurfnut

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:14 pm

Just noticed Angie4m said the sensors have to be replaced as well. I have got to change my disks and pads on all 4 corners. Not done the job yet. And have not bought any sensors. Do they have to be changed, and if so can anyone explain why. Thanks in advance

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:51 pm

w1ndsurfnut wrote:Just noticed Angie4m said the sensors have to be replaced as well. I have got to change my disks and pads on all 4 corners. Not done the job yet. And have not bought any sensors. Do they have to be changed, and if so can anyone explain why. Thanks in advance
The sensors also wear down to advise you need to replace the pads so if you don't replace them they will still advise as worn. You can either replace them or you can remove them and just visually know when to replace them. It's just one sensor on the front and one on the rear.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring