Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thieves around.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
djb222

Thieves around.

Post by djb222 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:34 pm

I know everyones aware, but just a reminder.

Just over a week ago, in the night, our conservatory was broken into, luckily they were scared off by our dogs. They were after my car keys, 59 plate Z4. The car is parked on the drive with a security bollard, so that didn't put them off.

Police said there has recently been an increase in theft of cars by stealing keys. Apparently they are targeting BMW's, Audi's, Range Rovers'.

This is in the Great Barr, Sutton Coldfield area of Birmingham, but I'm sure it applies to pretty much anywhere.

Also,standard conservatory locks are a doddle to break, which they did, so we're having anti snap locks fitted.

Be Safe.

David

JustCruzin

Re: Thieves around.

Post by JustCruzin » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:51 pm

Hey thanks! We are just in the process of having a conservatory fitted. Windows have just gone up. Doors are in and locked..... think they are 5 point locks.... scary though!

A close friend of mine recently had his 11 plate X5 disappear from his front drive. Police said it was a 'expert professional job'. No trace despite having a tracker....

Thanks. Will be extra vigilant now.

Cheers JC :D

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:00 pm

If they want it, they will find a way. Leave the keys downstairs. Better they come in and leave with keys / car than come looking for you or your family.

djb222

Post by djb222 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Absolutely agree. Exactly what the police advised and what we do anyway. Plus that's one of the reasons we have insurance.

halifaxbantam

Post by halifaxbantam » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:54 pm

We had the problem in West Yorkshire for years.

Take the keys to bed with you... I'm amazed at the number of people, who despite the publicity in our area, still leave their car keys in full view, usually in the hallway, or on a kitchen work surface where the offenders can see them through the window or door glass.

They will usually snap the lock if the door is fitted with poor quality locks, or use devices on sticks to hook the keys through the letter box.

One word of advice on locks, go to a good quality locksmith & purchase an AVOCET Anti-Snap Lock. They have won a shed load of awards in the security industry. Fit them yourselves, it's just one screw into the door. Despite what anyone tells you or tries to sell you Avocet are the best.

If in doubt about the size for your door make sure SWMBO is home & take the lock with you :thumbsup:
Previous - 2006 Z4MR Titanium Silver Imola Leather

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Good locks are useless if they can remove the window as what happened to a friend who had their 3 Series stolen, they stripped out the beading and just removed the glass.

I would check with your insurer on their stance with regard to leaving your car keys laying about or handing them over freely to some spotty oinks, all boils down to taking reasonable steps in protecting your valuables which to me would mean locking the keys away at home.

Tim.

halifaxbantam

Post by halifaxbantam » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:31 pm

Tim, Reasonable steps means, setting the burglar alarm if you have one, amazing the amount of people that don't.

Did he leave his keys in full view of the window?

Look at this way, some pond life, looking out to have a car away recce's an area..They will always go for the easy option because there is always someone who does SFA until they get done.

The more measures YOU take the more chance they'll go elsewhere fact. Good snap locks, window locks, sash jammers, lighting.

djb222

Post by djb222 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:43 pm

The best we can do is make it as difficult as possible for these idiots to gain entry so that they give up. If they do gain entry then the question is how far do you go to stop them, they are more than likely up to hurting someone in order to get your keys. My keys are accessible but out of view, no way would I take them upstairs. After all it's insured.

Unfortunately, it's becoming more common for cars to be broken into programming a key via the OBD ( about 30secs) then away they go. Technology, everything has a weakness.

halifaxbantam

Post by halifaxbantam » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:57 pm

"Accessible but out of view". So there is more of a chance of someone else getting done than you, because someone else will leave them in full view.

I wouldn't buy a Range Rover or Discovery if you paid me. Parts for these are going nightly in Yorkshire...bumpers, lights, wheels.

VW'S, Skodas, & Audi factory fit Sat Nav systems are another favourite with them at the moment.

As for the Defender three to four a week were getting stolen up until I retired.

The only people benefiting from these crimes, despite the scum bags, are the vehicle manufacturers.

Conquistador

Post by Conquistador » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:40 am

It's easier than you think to gain access to any 'secure' lock you might fit if the thief knows what they are doing. You can fit things like internal thumb-turns and anti-bump/anti-snap euro cylinders but if somebody wants to get in... they will.

Indeed, better to leave the car keys "accessible, but out of view" such as at the bottom of the stairs than wait for them come upstairs with whatever weapon they may have to find them in your bedroom...

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:58 am

One of my customers had his front bumper stolen. Apparently two or three went missing from one street. That was an older BMW.
His new one had the nuts welded on.

simonlpearce

Post by simonlpearce » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:03 am

Sutton isn't all too far from me in Worcester. My neighbor had his Golf R32 and Prosche taken over a period of 4 weeks, then the following weekend they attempted and failed to get my other neighbors E92 M3. For the M3 his son was asleep on the sofa when they broke in and took the keys. By the time he had woken up and got his dad the car was off the drive, but the thief couldn't figure out the DCT so couldn't find 1st. They managed to pull the guy out the car, gave him a pasting, but he got away on foot as they had no shoes on to give chase.

I guess if they want your car they will get it. Do the necessary to keep yourself and your belongings safe. Have heard of people resisting giving up keys before to have knives pulled on them. It may be your pride and joy but its not worth seeing a hospital over.
Simon's Ruby Black Z4 MC Journal
viewtopic.php?t=70563

E36 M3 Evolution - Individual Journal
http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=209427

The closer you are to death, the more alive you feel!

w1ndsurfnut

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:05 am

I know I will probably get my arse kicked on here for my comments. But this idea of leaving my car keys in a good place for the thieves to find does not sit well with me. The police do nothing, the insurance company will do nothing except try and squirm out of paying out, and we are going to do nothing as well. Last time I had something stolen from me. I could not sleep for two nights. Sat up all night with base ball bat at the ready in case they came back.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:40 pm

w1ndsurfnut wrote:I know I will probably get my arse kicked on here for my comments. But this idea of leaving my car keys in a good place for the thieves to find does not sit well with me. The police do nothing, the insurance company will do nothing except try and squirm out of paying out, and we are going to do nothing as well. Last time I had something stolen from me. I could not sleep for two nights. Sat up all night with base ball bat at the ready in case they came back.
I think the concesus these days is you make everything as easy as possible for Mr Burglar to walk away with your possessions and then just claim off the insurance, probably the common sense approach. Its a tough one, but I would like to think I would try and protect my possessions and family as much as possible, whether thats handing over what you've worked for on a plate or have a go back is down to your own personal viewpoint. Being a silly person I would err on the latter as it doesn't sit well with me either. I'm no have a go hero but its the principle that would be the undoing of me.

Tim.

lux
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lux » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:47 pm

I've got a baseball bat under the bed, don't know if I'd have the balls to use it should a situation arise, but I'd rather have it than not!
981 Cayman Agate Grey