Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Reprogram

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
35isDreamer

Reprogram

Post by 35isDreamer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:17 pm

My 35is is having the fuel pump replaced at the dealer, and they've called me to tell me that it needs a full reprogram to support it. I guess I am happy to have the latest software, although I'll miss it for another day. (the courtesy 520d is a boring lump!)

Are there any new features I should notice when I get it back as a result of the reprogram? It's a 13 plate 35is.
2013 Z4 35is Deep Sea Blue.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Reprogram

Post by Maniac » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:07 pm

No new features I'm aware of. Probably just diagnostics upgrades you'll never notice.

35isDreamer

Post by 35isDreamer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:14 pm

How dull!
I read a few posts that hinted to a DCT upgrade. A few people have mentioned a hesitation when pulling away, which I sometimes get and I was hoping might get fixed as some other people have reported.
2013 Z4 35is Deep Sea Blue.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:23 pm

Sadly mines up to date and still has the DCT hesitation. Its better than it was when I first bought it, but its still there. Sport mode removes most of the delay for me so if I know I'm in busy traffic, I put it in sport. Normal mode the rest of the time.

SO8

Post by SO8 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:30 pm

Mine hesitates ... of the 2 I've had this is better (13 plate LCI) than the last (11 plate).

I think it is just down to the mapping. I had a DSG Golf GTi a few years ago and that was more on/off which was a pain. I think it is just a characteristic of the DCT box. I seem to either pull away at a crawl or shoot forwards at Mach 3 after applying more throttle to make up for the lag ...
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:37 pm

I've had a few glitches with the DCT - not massive, but annoying.

Main one is an aggressive changedown the box when slowing to a standstill, a bit clunky & rough.

So I went to my local BMW dealer today to get it booked in for a software update - has an UNBELEIVABLE response from the guy at the desk.

Basically they want £99 to 'diagnose' then another £99 for the software update (whilst steep I can live with that - even though other people are quoting £60 - £150 for the same job).

But the bit that made me blow my top, was the service guy told me that they would not be responsible if any element failed whilst performing the update. He specifically mentioned that if the media system crashes while being updated, I will have to accept responsibility for replacing that module (about £2000!!!) before they will release the car.

He clarified that if anything does go wrong whilst being updated, the car will be un-drivable & my responsibility.

So a BMW has a minor fault, gets taken to BMW for that fault to be addressed, and if they break it whilst in their care - I'M RESPONSIBLE???????

WTF????

This is from the BMW dealer, updating a nearly new BMW that has never been anywhere other than that dealership for service.

Lloyd BMW in Blackpool by the way.

I'm gobsmacked.

Matt
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:32 pm

I've not had that told to me, just a charge of £99+vat for it to be updated (stockport bmw). I call visits to the dealer 'niggle displacement'. In that whatever it goes in for gets fixed but while they're at it something else plays up. My recent alternator replacement (to cure a whining) has both not solved the whining and also introduced a grumble from the new alternator when cold. I despair. I've learned that whatever it wrong, so long as its not dangerous or unreliable, live with it because the more you faff to get it right, the more you have to do.

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:49 pm

matsmith749 wrote: So a BMW has a minor fault, gets taken to BMW for that fault to be addressed, and if they break it whilst in their care - I'M RESPONSIBLE???????

WTF????

This is from the BMW dealer, updating a nearly new BMW that has never been anywhere other than that dealership for service.

Lloyd BMW in Blackpool by the way.
Why not contact BMW UK and see what they say.......?
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:47 pm

I'm waiting for clarification of the position from the BMW dealership - I've given them the chance to clear up their stance before I worry about taking it further.

Seems pretty mad to me, but what do I know?

Hopefully will be resolved without too much drama.

Matt
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior