Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

To get LSD or not?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Bushido

To get LSD or not?

Post by Bushido » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Gentlemen. May I please have a few informed opinions on whether an LSD Kit from Birds will be a rewarding expense?
1. Does not affect the warranty.
2. Costs £1300 fitted.

Z4. 2.8Sdrive manual Msport with a few little mods.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: To get LSD or not?

Post by Maniac » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:06 pm

The simple question is, do you intend to track the car? If you do, regularly, then I'd say go for it. If you're using it solely on the road, don't bother you won't get the best from it.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:18 pm

Maniac wrote:The simple question is, do you intend to track the car? If you do, regularly, then I'd say go for it. If you're using it solely on the road, don't bother you won't get the best from it.
Totally disagree. Having and LSD on the driven wheels, of a powerful car, transforms the handling. The important question is are you likely to drive the car hard enough, on one of the driven wheels, to break traction in certain conditions.

If so then an LSD will improve control, traction and fun. Simples! :driving: :D

If not then you don't need one.

mwadZ4

Post by mwadZ4 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:47 pm

buzyg wrote:
Maniac wrote:The simple question is, do you intend to track the car? If you do, regularly, then I'd say go for it. If you're using it solely on the road, don't bother you won't get the best from it.
Totally disagree. Having and LSD on the driven wheels, of a powerful car, transforms the handling. The important question is are you likely to drive the car hard enough, on one of the driven wheels, to break traction in certain conditions.

Nice way of putting it :)

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:39 pm

buzyg wrote:

Is this your experience of the e89? You know, the car that has the electronic brake assistance to prevent a spinning wheel that you might suggest? The gap between this and an LSD is much less than a car that just spins its free wheel. Its quite different in implementation to a lot of other cars, including the e85/86.

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:53 pm

Well worth having if you occasionally drive your car hard enough where it will be of benefit... :driving:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

GaryT

Post by GaryT » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:04 pm

You absolutely will NOT regret it :thumbsup: :driving:

GaryT

Post by GaryT » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:06 pm

Unless of course you bury it into a hedge backwards on the first corner you come to lol :lol:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:44 pm

Maniac wrote:
buzyg wrote:

Is this your experience of the e89? You know, the car that has the electronic brake assistance to prevent a spinning wheel that you might suggest? The gap between this and an LSD is much less than a car that just spins its free wheel. Its quite different in implementation to a lot of other cars, including the e85/86.
This is my experience, being an old git, who's driven fwd rwd & 4x4's with and without an LSD, on the driven wheels. on track on the road and on loose ground Every format I have experience of benefited, substantially! from an LSD. :thumbsup:

Have to agree if the Zed had several hundred bhp and ft lbs to match, then using the brakes, would work fine, along side other aids. However it doesn't really have much torque to spare, so I'll take every last drop and an LSD. :D
Last edited by buzyg on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

thepits

Post by thepits » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:52 pm

My E30 M3 had a LSD, but it had no electronic stuff - in fact, apart from ABS that was it, so was welcome.

On Z, hmmm, debatable :driving:

Enjoy what you've got

Cats know your every thought.
But don't care.

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:57 pm

I've fitted an LSD to mine and its f***ing awesome. :thumbsup:

Don't think I'd still own the car if it didn't have it. Exited two juctions today sideways :evil: :evil:

I would say to experience the benifit it does help if your a hooligan :evil: :evil:
A Dirty M///

cossied

Post by cossied » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:41 pm

I had one from Birds fitted it myself plus ultra racing arb absolutely fantastic to drive now.

McKoval

Post by McKoval » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:47 pm

I have mfactory lsd in my e85 and it transforms the car - with lsd its so agile, and controllable in the corners - even with aids switched to dtc you can feel a lot more grip.
And while in dstc mode you can clearly see that the electronics dont work as often as they used to without lsd.
In conclusion - substantial mod, which makes z4 a proper sportscar

TapaTalking

GaryT

Post by GaryT » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:04 am

McKoval wrote:I have mfactory lsd in my e85 and it transforms the car - with lsd its so agile, and controllable in the corners - even with aids switched to dtc you can feel a lot more grip.
And while in dstc mode you can clearly see that the electronics dont work as often as they used to without lsd.
In conclusion - substantial mod, which makes z4 a proper sportscar

TapaTalking
AMEN! :thumbsup:

ga41

Post by ga41 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:45 am

Even on the M which already has a LSD, installing an upgraded aftermarket one has reportedly made a big difference on a track-car. A member on Zpost has made such a modification and was very happy with it. I'll try and find the thread later.
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --