Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Defrosting the car

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Defrosting the car

Post by Nictrix » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:14 pm

Nictrix wrote:There is something in the manual about this but not sure if its to heat the car or cool it.
I think it said you have to set a timer for when you want the blowers to come on.
I dont see how it can generate enough heat though without the engine running.
Im a little bit embarrassed about writing this as I cannot find any info on this.
I read this somewhere but cannot find it again, I am starting to think it wasnt even for the Z4.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:38 pm

What Land Rovers have is a hot fluid reservoir which keep the water hot in a thermos style tank, so even when you turn the heater on, hot air comes right out,

My Range Rover Sport had this timer unit on it and you could set it for the morning, to come on

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:40 pm

metal licker wrote:
Stark wrote:
Angie4m wrote:BMW used to offer Thermocall but I don't believe this was offered on the E89. Basically you used the telephone function in the car to tell it to warm the car. I only ever saw someone use it on a Z3 where I live. As said, if you have comfort access you can start the car then walk away with the key in your pocket and it'll still be running. You don't even have to lock the car as it cannot be moved without the key but locking it would always be advised.

Mike has a remote start facility in the GTR, that's really weird hearing a car start with nobody in it or at it.
Angie someone could drive the car I believe but once it was off, you couldn't start it again......this is my opinion as I've heard it been done
I'm with you Mr Stark the car will drive as normal without the key but wont start again (something to do with carjacking I think)
Not sure if it locks with key out and engine running though
Well I've tried it and it won't work. Mike took the car out of the space and then got nervous about putting it back, he got out the car with it running, key in pocket, I went to move it and it won't engage drive or nutural or reverse will only sit in park and a lovely big yellow key with a line through it appears on the dash and on the iDrive it advises you that there is no key.

I also left my key in my bag outside the car on Monday night, got out the car, left it runningto check round the space, thought I can get it in a little tighter, left my bag on the ground got back in and boing! Then I had to try and reach the bag to put it on my lap so it would engage again.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:52 am

Angie, you know things we only think we know

You're the cleverest amongst us, thanks for that :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:07 am

Found what I was looking for, its called auxiliary heating and can be controlled via an app on your phone to either turn on the heating or cool the car before you get in it.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:03 am

Nictrix wrote:Found what I was looking for, its called auxiliary heating and can be controlled via an app on your phone to either turn on the heating or cool the car before you get in it.
I've seen that on the mainstream models, 3/5 etc but not on the niche cars like the Z sadly. Looks like another reason for a 5/6 series for me next.

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:52 am

Stark wrote:Angie, you know things we only think we know

You're the cleverest amongst us, thanks for that :thumbsup:
Not quite :wink:
Just tried it on my manual 35i - Started the Zed as usual then knocked it off as usual and removed the key
Then switched the engine on just using the button (no key) got out of the Zed with the engine running and put the keys in the house
Got back in the car drove off and on the drive with no problems and was able to lock the car with engine running
Switched the engine off with the button and wouldn't start again without key :thumbsup:
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:59 am

Ysee I thought you could do that Metal, but had never tried it........now with Angie trying it and it not working for her......I'm not sure hers has comfort access.

Mine used to come up with the key signal but I though it could be driven off like you did.....but once off, that's it

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:05 pm

Stark wrote:Ysee I thought you could do that Metal, but had never tried it........now with Angie trying it and it not working for her......I'm not sure hers has comfort access.

Mine used to come up with the key signal but I though it could be driven off like you did.....but once off, that's it
Not sure why it didn't work for Angie,could it be a manual /auto thing :?
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:14 pm

metal licker wrote:
Stark wrote:Ysee I thought you could do that Metal, but had never tried it........now with Angie trying it and it not working for her......I'm not sure hers has comfort access.

Not sure why it didn't work for Angie,could it be a manual /auto thing :?
Must be an Auto thing. You need to engage the shifter to move and no key, no shift. So if you've got a manual box don't do it. If you've got an Auto and comfort then yes it can be left running without the key

And yes mines had comfort access thank you as per the above. Leave my key in my bag. Couldn't start the car without it in the dash if I didn't have comfort access. My key never touches the car
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:18 pm

Heated garage my friend, heated garage :D

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:31 pm

Bad_Pritt wrote:Heated garage my friend, heated garage :D
Quite an expensive way to get into a car on just a frosty day tho.

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:37 pm

or a rainy day, or a snowy day, or a very cold and windy day, or... :poke: