Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fog lights?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Fog lights?

Post by Nictrix » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Anybody know if there is a particular reason that the E89 doesnt have front fog lights?
Is it because the car is low enough that they think it doesnt need them?
Or do xenon lights act differently in fog to normal lights?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Bumpy

Re: Fog lights?

Post by Bumpy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:00 pm

Lots would argue the value / effectiveness of so called 'fog lights".
The ones on my Facelift 3.0 SI (H3 Halogen Bulbs) spread a bright wide and low beam which, as an auxiliary light in rural areas with ditches and critters certainly helped.
In real fog they probably are most effective at alerting other drivers of your existence, as opposed to illuminating your way through.
BMW probably feel the same.

Just my 2 cents :fuelfire:
Bumpy.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:16 pm

Not drove in heavy fog yet to find out but in past experience normal headlights would bounce back in fog and it was better to switch them off and have fog lights on instead as they were lower and didnt blind you.
Without fog lights there is no option to do this.

SO8

Post by SO8 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:37 pm

I'm not a great lover of front fogs ... they are only effective at lighting the kerb / hedgerows - whilst useful I think they are normally added to a car more as a gimick . I would never pay for them as an extra. I think I have used them on cars I have had only maybe 5 times since I started driving in 1982 !! That said, I live in London so the need is far less.
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:26 pm

I think they are a legacy from the old days of cars when fitting them/driving lights was an extra on the higher spec. models. Removal means cleaner lines, less weight and cost.

Headlight technology has also improved and I'd put money on it that there is far less beam scatter which causes most of the problems of old style lights which is why low level fog lights were of some marginal use back in the day.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:27 am

The xenons replace fogs as more efficient,

Fog lights should be banned as the majority of the great British driving public are a little thick on when to use them or maybe its all the foreighners :x

Tim.

NeilP

Post by NeilP » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:38 am

TitanTim wrote:The xenons replace fogs as more efficient,

Fog lights should be banned as the majority of the great British driving public are a little thick on when to use them or maybe its all the foreighners :x

Tim.
Please Tim, don't you know? It's the trend to drive with your sidelights on and fogs. Dipped beams are overrated! :lol:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:18 pm

NeilP wrote:
TitanTim wrote:The xenons replace fogs as more efficient,

Tim.
Please Tim, don't you know? It's the trend to drive with your sidelights on and fogs. Dipped beams are overrated! :lol:
Bloody hate people with their fogs on especially when I'm in the Z3 :lol:

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:50 pm

I've got (front) fogs on my disco 3 and my wife's A4 and can't think when I've ever used them!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:48 pm

ronk wrote:I've got (front) fogs on my disco 3 and my wife's A4 and can't think when I've ever used them!
Have you ever been out when its been foggy?
If not why would you have used them?

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:01 pm

Yea I've been out in the fog but found them pretty useless!
The D3 has halogens and the A4 Xenons.
The fog lamps are quite limp really.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Visionist

Post by Visionist » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:24 pm

Cornering lights would have been nice in the inside projectors.
2011 35i "Il Cammello" - Orion Metallic / Pure White Design - Almost Fully Loaded

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:03 pm

Visionist wrote:Cornering lights would have been nice in the inside projectors.
Do you think the lights on yours are not good enough?

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:38 pm

Nictrix wrote:
He doesn't own one! Not being funny but I'm completely fed up with this tool commenting on a car he doesn't even own. It's great for people to have comments and opinions but how can you comment on the lack of fogs and the headlights in a car you do not own and have not driven in such conditions?

As for cornering lights I assume he's talking about these lights that merc and VW are using by switching on the front fog to also highlight the kerb, how people have managed to go round corners before that makes the mind boggle :poke: but if you have adaptive lights then they also move in the same direction as the steering.

BMW performance models and models such as the 135i coupe and vert never came with front fogs, was not an option and its done them no harm.

I agree that sometimes for highlighting the edge of the road out in the sticks front fogs are good but I think the lights are more than adequate for the job. Just love how my high beam assist switches the high beam off when going through roadworks near my folks as the light reflects back off the traffic cones and I need to apply the high beam in the old fashioned way.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:20 pm

Angie4m wrote:
Nictrix wrote:
He doesn't own one! Not being funny but I'm completely fed up with this tool commenting on a car he doesn't even own. It's great for people to have comments and opinions but how can you comment on the lack of fogs and the headlights in a car you do not own and have not driven in such conditions?

As for cornering lights I assume he's talking about these lights that merc and VW are using by switching on the front fog to also highlight the kerb, how people have managed to go round corners before that makes the mind boggle :poke: but if you have adaptive lights then they also move in the same direction as the steering.

BMW performance models and models such as the 135i coupe and vert never came with front fogs, was not an option and its done them no harm.

I agree that sometimes for highlighting the edge of the road out in the sticks front fogs are good but I think the lights are more than adequate for the job. Just love how my high beam assist switches the high beam off when going through roadworks near my folks as the light reflects back off the traffic cones and I need to apply the high beam in the old fashioned way.
I find it funny :lol:
We had an MR2 MK2 years ago and the fog lights turned with the steering.
You really had to pay attention though to even notice it so was a waste of time.