Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Servicing....?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Nezzy33

Servicing....?

Post by Nezzy33 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:07 pm

Just had a weird conversation with BMW.

I tried to book my Z4 in for a service on 5/12/14 as it's coming up for being 2 years old on 24/12/2014. The car's only done 5500 miles so mileage wise, it's obviously not due. Time wise however, I believe they need to be serviced every 2 years. Is that correct?

Anyway, when speaking to BMW, I explained that my car was coming up to 2 years old and I wanted it servicing on 5/12 before that 2 years was up to avoid any warranty issues.

The girl I spoke to asked me if the service light was on. I said not. She said "...well if it's not on, we can't service it, you have to wait until the light comes on as we'll need to reset it." :roll:

After a bit of faffing around she eventually agreed to book it in but i've never heard anything so daft in all my life. Just book my car in and service it like i've asked. It's not difficult!

Can someone please confirm that my 2 year service point above is correct? :thumbsup:

Thanks

bluespit

Re: Servicing....?

Post by bluespit » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:37 pm

my experience with low miles servicing is exactly as the BMW 'girl' said. They will service the car but charge you for it and wont reset the service indicator. had this with both my Z (3 years and just under 12k miles) and current 520 (21months old and 13k miles). They wont service either within the service plan unless the light is on. Interestingly the Z went from 'service in 3000 miles to overdue in one 15 mile drive!.
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

ric19

Post by ric19 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:33 pm

Yes I had a similar experience as mine was 2 years old in October and I was rung and emailed by Stratstone Doncaster where I got it from to take it for a service but since the Chesterfield one is only 4 miles away I said I would take it there. When the car had done 3k back in Sept 2013 I paid to have the oil and filter changed as I considered it run in and thought it wouldn't hurt to have new oil so anyway I took it in the other week with 11k on the clock to be told it didnt need a service as I had had done back in 2013 and therefore it wasn't now due until Sept 2015, they would do it but I would have to pay for it ( I've got the 5 year service pack ) or just wait until the service indicator tells me its due

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:43 pm

The service light should appear on the dash soon. When you start the car it will tell you when it's next due or if you've got iDrive you can also get the date on the dash.

I always book my car in advance, as I hate getting too near and finding they are booked up for a couple of weeks. I've never asked if the dash light is on but then I know when my car is due a service so don't enquire when I phone. Infact they are usually contacting me to tell me I need a service for any of the old cars I no longer own.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:14 pm

My car is coming up to 4years old now and 15k miles

It goes into the dealer for its MOT and second service next week and apart from engine oil and brake fluid, what else will they do?

I suppose even if I have only had two oil and brake fluid services , I'll stil be ahead on the service plan cost - from memory I think it was £300.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Simon20VT

Post by Simon20VT » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:11 pm

I don't have I drive, but I'm pretty sure it has date displayed for its first service. I'll just book it in on that date in advance. I've only done 4500 miles in about 15 months, so I doubt it'll go in sooner.

Ronk - I did see something from my dealer in FB which said they now offer MOT Protect for the first three MOTs if you have Service Inclusive.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:44 am

Simon20VT wrote:
Ronk - I did see something from my dealer in FB which said they now offer MOT Protect for the first three MOTs if you have Service Inclusive.
On many a BMW survey phone call I have banged onto them what Audi do!
They offer a mot at £45 and an insurance against mot failure at the following year!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Simon20VT

Post by Simon20VT » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:25 am

Apparently it covers FOC replacement of a list of non consumable parts that are MOT failures. I think you get this by default for the first MOT, but it's extended to the second and third with service inclusive.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/owner ... w.html#mot